Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just got to thinking. For those states which require an afternoon of live fire and expect students to provide their own ammo (often several hundred rounds is suggested), how are students doing with meeting that requirement? With the lack of availability of ammunition or the 2, 3, or 4 times the prices of ammo you can find, or store restrictions that limit you to 1 or 2 boxes at a time, how are people doing it? Hell, I have to time it out just right going the same morning that the delivery truck drops off ammunition at my LGS just to get a couple boxes of anything. Or are people just burning through their stash (if they have one) with little expectation of replenishing that stash any time soon? That might not be an option for new shooters since they likely don’t have anything saved up. Obviously this wouldn’t be a concern for reloaders. Especially for new shooters, how do they train and get some experience before taking their qualifying test with the current ammo shortage? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I just went to LEOSA equals. 20 rounds is the state requirement in KY. I just scrounged thru my leftover range rounds and came up with enough for the wife and I without hitting my stash. Buy cheap, stack deep.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went to LEOSA equals. 20 rounds is the state requirement in KY. I just scrounged thru my leftover range rounds and came up with enough for the wife and I without hitting my stash. Buy cheap, stack deep.
indeed. In my area is 25 to qualify, but with an afternoon (3 or 4 hours is it?) of shooting time required by law in NM, 25 rounds won’t last you long.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I took and "enhanced carry coarse in November. We used laser training pistols and .22 target pistols in range class and shot 30 rounds with our personal ccw for qualification. Instructor had 9mm and .40 for sale if you need some to qualify. My son in law used his Ruger .22 mark II to qualify.

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
Much like automobile owners during the past gasoline shortages and high prices--its up to the individual to make plans for their well being (and fun)..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took and "enhanced carry coarse in November. We used laser training pistols and .22 target pistols in range class and shot 30 rounds with our personal ccw for qualification. Instructor had 9mm and .40 for sale if you need some to qualify. My son in law used his Ruger .22 mark II to qualify.
22s would be nice and cheap. The rules here are that you have to qualify with the largest caliber you plan on carrying. If you qualify with 9mm, you can’t carry a 40 or 45. Or, I suppose if you qualify with 22, you couldn’t legally carry a pistol larger than 22! That’s hilarious.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I went for my CCW ready to spend the 100 rounds specified, but because of the cost and availability issues they had us shoot far fewer; probably closer to 40. The usual requirement is nothing less than 9mm/.38, but they did let people qualify with a .22 if they didn’t have access to something larger.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I did my LEOSA qualifcations in October, and my wife obtained her LTC in November...no problems.

I fired 100 rounds for qualifications (one revolver and one semi-auto) but the ammunition is provided by the agency.
My wife fired 50 rounds for her LTC. I've never heard of a licensing class requiring 100+ rounds.

Ammunition is out there...if you desire the license badly enough you'll find and buy it.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
you do not have to shoot/qualify here unless you get the "enhanced" carry and that is done by private NRA instructors. One tacticool outfit wants you to bring 250 rounds with you.
shoot .22 to qualify you can only .22? LOL are they smoking dope? Oh, Colorado , they maybe. Tell me, if you go to the DMV and take your road test in a Prius ...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you do not have to shoot/qualify here unless you get the "enhanced" carry and that is done by private NRA instructors. One tacticool outfit wants you to bring 250 rounds with you.
shoot .22 to qualify you can only .22? LOL are they smoking dope? Oh, Colorado , they maybe. Tell me, if you go to the DMV and take your road test in a Prius ...
I was in colorado last fall and did have a ccw permit there but I’ve moved to New Mexico for a job and have to start all over. In CO you don’t need to fire a single shot to qualify. It’s just a 3 or 4 hour class on rules that is required by law. New Mexico requires 15 hours including an afternoon for shooting and 25 rounds to qualify. And they require you to qualify with the largest caliber you plan on carrying. I don’t have a 45 auto carry gun but might qualify with one just so I have the option. And I plan on qualifying with a 38. They also have a rule that you must qualify with the type of firearm platform you plan to carry: semi-auto, revolver, or derringer (hilarious). So you can’t carry a revolver if you only qualified with a semi auto. Strange rules. Apparently your permit will indicate what platform and what caliber you are allowed to carry.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
In Ohio there is no caliber requirement but in the past many instructors did not want you to try to qualify with a .22 unless that is what you would be carrying. The current ammo shortage however may have modified some instructors thinking temporarily, IDK. The basic principles are the same whether it's a 22 or a 45, the difference is recoil. Even recoil is subjective based on the handgun. I felt way more recoil firing a .380 TCP than when I test fired a .45 acp Hi Point. Although the 45 Hi point might make an excellent home defense handgun I can't see most people carrying it though. I'm not one of those people who believe in the intimidation factor of a handgun and it's size, but if you are one of those people the size of the Hi Point might fit the bill. About the only semi auto handgun that is larger is probably a Desert Eagle. :rolleyes: If the BG isn't intimidated by the mere presence of the gun and you have to shoot it, it is a sweet shooter. The one I shot was 100% reliable and capable of excellent accuracy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here in fly over country. Kansas. Only need 25 rounds to qualify they tell you bring more but don’t need it. Can qualify with any handgun you want When I took the class I used a Browning Buckmark 22 because they don’t want you to shoot reloads. 22 was the only factory loaded rounds I had because I am to cheap even in those days to buy factory loaded ammo

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Took my CCL renewal last week here in Illinois. Thirty rounds total to qualify at 5-7-10yds. Any caliber handgun is ok to qualify Current rewal processing time is about 6-9 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts