Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT I'M GOING TO A CCW CLASS AT THE END ON THE MONTH, AND HAVE SIGNED UP FOR AN ADVANCED PSTIOL CLASS FOR THIS SPRING,MY CCW CLASS IS BEING DONE BY JOHN ROSS, I READ A FEW THINGS ABOUT HIM, IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THIS AREA SO I HAVE HEARD. I HAVE MADE UP MY MIND ON WHAT I AM GOING TO CARRY, THE PRO.I HAVE MY GLOCK 32 AND ALL IN ALL ARE CLOSE IN SIZE BUT THE PRO WEIGHT IS LESS AND ITS A 45, I HOPE THAT THE PRO HOLDS UP. 250 ROUNDS AND 1 FTE, WAS AMMO. WISH ME LUCK THE ADVANCED CLASS SHOOTS ABOUT 1200 ROUNDS IN 2 DAYS, THIS SHOULD BE A GREAT TEST FOR THIS WEAPON. JG

·
Registered
153 Posts
Weaponizer said:
I WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT I'M GOING TO A CCW CLASS AT THE END ON THE MONTH, AND HAVE SIGNED UP FOR AN ADVANCED PSTIOL CLASS FOR THIS SPRING,MY CCW CLASS IS BEING DONE BY JOHN ROSS, I READ A FEW THINGS ABOUT HIM, IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THIS AREA SO I HAVE HEARD. I HAVE MADE UP MY MIND ON WHAT I AM GOING TO CARRY, THE PRO.I HAVE MY GLOCK 32 AND ALL IN ALL ARE CLOSE IN SIZE BUT THE PRO WEIGHT IS LESS AND ITS A 45, I HOPE THAT THE PRO HOLDS UP. 250 ROUNDS AND 1 FTE, WAS AMMO. WISH ME LUCK THE ADVANCED CLASS SHOOTS ABOUT 1200 ROUNDS IN 2 DAYS, THIS SHOULD BE A GREAT TEST FOR THIS WEAPON. JG
Sounds like fun. Is a CCW class required in your area? Here in Georgia, they check your criminal history and finger print you. No class required.

I too will be carrying my PT145 Mil. Pro. It has the right size, weight and balance for me... + it holds 10 in the clip and 1 in the chamber... not bad for a sub-compact. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in St. Louis, MO. and 4 hours of class room and 4 hours at the range, then I have to go and get my backround check and be finger printed, the state has 45 days to issue the permit. Then once issued I have 3 days to pick up the permit and sign for it. Then I have 7 days to go to DOR to have my DL changed to show CCW, it costs 100 for the class then 20 range time, we have to shoot both semi and revolver,then 12 to have DL changed. and has to be renewed in 3 years. JG

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good luck.

Remember:

Shooting the instructor is an automatic fail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here in Pa, it's fill out 1 page of paperwork, pay $46 and wait for a week or 2. They do a background check as well. No class, no fingerprints. Very easy. I just applied for mine. Has only been a week, but hopefully it will come soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
heyyodaddio said:
Here in Pa, it's fill out 1 page of paperwork, pay $46 and wait for a week or 2. They do a background check as well. No class, no fingerprints. Very easy. I just applied for mine. Has only been a week, but hopefully it will come soon.
What part of PA? I live in Philadelphia and it's $19, 1 page of paperwork, background check and 45 days wait. No mandatory classes either, but I took one on my own.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chester County. About 45 minutes west of Philly. You got a deal for $19 bucks. Wish mine was that low, but from the sounds of it around the country, people are having to spend much more for all of the other stuff they have to do to get their permit (classes, etc.). I guess I should be thankful it's only $46. BTW, do you conceal carry in Philly? I go into the city once in a great while, and was wondering if there are any special carry rules downtown.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You guys make me sick! JKn of course! It seems the local course is given with a minimum of 40 people, at a cost of $85 each, Starts at 730 AM, and ends when the last person does their shoot quaification. If you shoot early I guess your done quicker, but class room is supposedly 6 hours, with a minimum time of 8 hours out of your saturday!

Then you have to have photos, "no digital allowed" 2 of them and take the paperwork and two checks to the sheriff's office. One check is for 40, the other for 20. Then you wait for them to process everything. I believe the fingerprints are done digital, but photo's have to be certain size, and not digital. Total cost not counting ammo is $145, plus the cost of the two photos, and all the gas running all over the place too.

Next course is Feb 23 from one shop, I am going to see if the other two that do the course have anything sooner. I missed the January class, boy was I mad at myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In Tennesse the class is 80 bucks, the permit is 115. Then it takes 4-6 weeks. I paid my money today. Had the class last week. Now I just have to wait.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Total cost not counting ammo is $145, plus the cost of the two photos, and all the gas running all over the place too."

What state are you from? Guess I am thankful for my measily $46 bucks and no hassle.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
KY is not the most expensive state to get it. But they are sure not cheap. I know you have fire a minimum of 20 rounds. With costs being what they are, I might try to use my SA 22LR.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Weaponizer said:
I live in St. Louis, MO. and 4 hours of class room and 4 hours at the range, then I have to go and get my backround check and be finger printed, the state has 45 days to issue the permit. Then once issued I have 3 days to pick up the permit and sign for it. Then I have 7 days to go to DOR to have my DL changed to show CCW, it costs 100 for the class then 20 range time, we have to shoot both semi and revolver,then 12 to have DL changed. and has to be renewed in 3 years. JG
I'm in StL as well, and I've been told to take my CCW class and then get my permit through Florida. That's how my co-worker has done it, and I hear they recommend it, and have the FL paperwork on hand, at the CCW classes. Florida has reciprocity with more states than MO. Also, saves you from having to get the endorsement on your DL and the Florida permit is good for 5 years.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/apply.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
I too am taking the class in two weeks. Here in SC, its 65 for the class, and 50 for the license.

No biggie and well worth it!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's quite encouraging to see so many law abiding citizens making the effort to carry a concealed firearm legally. As a police officer, I am on the side of the armed civilian and would like to see more people with permits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here in CA I paid around $160 for the permit alone. If you lucky enough to get one, you have to be smart enought to figure out how to carry the darn thing without mangeling it. It's printed on a lame piece sized of paper that doesn't fit in you wallet. Having it on your driver's licence... That's cool. Somebody was thinking.

By the way, I added my PT145 to my permit this morning!

-Mark

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, I decided to wait until March for my CCW class. Several reasons:
1. Most of the places that are doing it have up to 40 per class, this guy has max of 12.
2. He trains for Kentucky, Ohio, Florida and UTAH permits. He also is on the board of the state CCW group.
3. He offers the other defensive handgun courses, and the New handgun owner courses too.
4. To me this is important! We shoot outdoors, apparently on the same grounds where the IPDA shoots take place.
Only bad thing, is he wants me to use my planned main carry gun, and not THE JUDGE. Now I have to decide if it will be PT111 9mm, or 461 357. Aww the decisions.

·
Registered
411 Posts
20.00 here in Chilton County, AL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I took my class back on March 4, of course it rained cats and dogs, and we shot outdoors. That was the only bad part of the day. It took until March 21 for the state to send the certificate of class completion, after the instructor sent the list to them.

Then it is off to the sheriffs office
Then you have to have photos, "no digital allowed" 2 of them and take the paperwork Turns out it is only one photo, and they will take it for $5, and two checks to the sheriff's office. One check is for 40, the other for 20. Then you wait for them to process everything, I thought the fingerprints were done digital, NO FINGER PRINTS REQUIRED WHEN I WAS DONE. Now I wait while they send that to the State Police, and they process the application, at which time I get a "Flash Pack" that allows me to go to the Sheriff again to pick up my CCDW. This can take up to 6 weeks depending, most likely 3 weeks. So I expect my CCDW by either April 15, or May 6.
That is good, because I plan to take my defensive handgun course in June, and a couple other course thru the summer.

·
Administrator
35,288 Posts
The place I'm gettng my license at has a day-long class, anywhere from 10 - 26 students in the class, and at the end of the day you can go ahead and shoot to qualify AFTER your written test. Then, on the following Monday you can come back in and get fingerprinted, etc. They have an off-duty cop come by and do all that. All in all, pretty straight-forward and organized.

·
Registered
876 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
It's quite encouraging to see so many law abiding citizens making the effort to carry a concealed firearm legally. As a police officer, I am on the side of the armed civilian and would like to see more people with permits.
Ditto.

In fact I am going to get certified so I can teach the permit course in MN. I just recently realized with all your help that I'm an pro carry activist.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts