Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my ccw class Saturday. Passed, but my instructor was terrible. We watched the video then he read a few points from the book but then there was no discussion. I've read others talk about a Wally wall or what to do when approached by a police officer. None of this was discussed. Also I was hoping he would expound on the correct attitude of those while carrying. But nothing.

what are some things you all learned or know about carrying that's not on the video or in the book? Attitude, feelings, what are the laws about prohibiting carrying in certain locations?

Administrator
Might help to know what state you live in.

Administrator
It's all completely different, depending on what state you live in.....which I can't tell by your profile.

I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as feelings and attitudes......you should just be aware of your surroundings. Colonel Jeff Cooper wrote that being armed, we should be in what he called "condition yellow" at all times - in other words, aware of things that are happening even if you're doing something else, or even having a conversation. Just doing that alone could save lives, if a situation suddenly developed.

Registered
I'm betting it isn't Texas.

OOPS!! I was refilling my margarita glass and posted late. LOL

Reactions: Texheim

Registered
get the NRA self defense hand book and read it cover to cover, it will help a lot . tell every one about you class,(how bad it was) its not any good to you if you do not learn anything and end in jail , because you didn't know the laws the handbook will help a lot i read mine over and over, always pick up something new every time i read it. good luck, hope the best for you.

Registered
For hands on training and a good connection to some well informed members of the handgun community I'd stop in on some IDPA (International defensive Pistol Association) matches. Gun safety while shooting simulated defensive 'life' scenarios is the core of the sport. It can really help with good habits and state of mind about carrying and potentially being in situations where one might draw and fire a weapon. They offer training for more advanced shooters to be ROs (range Officers) and SOs (Safety Officers). The sport GENERALLY attracts a high quality of individuals and conversation and info sharing is usually worth the (low) cost of admission!! Check local gun clubs - ask at local gun shops!

Registered

Premium Member
Check out Massad Ayoob books, videos, blogs and interviews for proper attitude and what to do in the unwanted case of having to use your gun for self defense.

Registered
Sorry to hear that your class didn't cover the basics. You need to learn everything you can about your states laws. that will give you a clear idea of how to handle most situations. You mentioned a Wally wall, I'm sure it was a typo. That's not taught. Most use that to describe your first time carrying in public, as in conceal your firearm and go walk around WalMart to get comfortable carrying. Good luck! Carry safe, carry smart, and carry often!!

Reactions: Slakev and mingaa

Registered
All the advice given so far is excellent.

The one area that I would have you consider after you are familiar with your state requirements would be what are called the "unlock codes". This amounts to the mental checklist that you will go through in .006 seconds that says "draw weapon and prepare to fire", or "take evasive action and keep weapon holstered". Consider what the term self defense means, because it will be your only defense in a shooting event. My instructor drilled into our heads "if you can't articulate the exact, extreme danger to you for injury or death, keep your weapon secure." If you can't convince anyone that you were in fear for your physical well being and/or loss of life, you might well be convicted of murder by shooting someone.

Everything else I would tell you would be about carrying a gun would be technical competence and situational awareness.

Premium Member
Runner, you can get info on the KC3 web site. The link is in my signature!

However can you PM, me? I would like more information on this instructor, what town, county, etc. Name if you want to give it. You should have gotten a bit more information from the instructor.

Registered
Try this link: Handgunlaw.us for information on your State's laws and restrictions as well as reciprocity maps.

+1 on Massad Ayoob's works and web site. He has written several excellent books that I read and re-read before taking the CHL plunge. I recommend you do the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I was looking for some practical advice from first hand experience. Just didn't meet my expectations.

Registered
As others have sad, start by reading your states rules on concealed carry. They normally are very clear on where you are not allowed to carry. If you have questions after that you can normally contact a member from the organization that governs concealed carry directly from the states website. I am not familiar with Kentucky's laws but if they require a refresher course when you have to renew, I would start looking for a different CCW instructor.

It sounds like the instructor you used is simply making money from people and not actually providing a quality course. It is too bad that this is what you got but remember in this case ignorance of the law will not protect you. Take the time and learn the rules before you need to know them.

Registered
All great advice! I also had a crappy CC class, and since then I've read everything I could get my hands on concerning safety, laws, etc. I go to the range as often as I can, and when I can't I practice at home. By practice I mean get yourself some snap caps, carry around your house (which is gonna get you used to carry experience) and practice your draw over and over and over. If you're ever in a situation where you have to draw your weapon,you'll be better off. Just suggestions and things that I have done... I will also say that this forum is EXCELLENT! Take a day.. or two, ha and just read through the posts about concealed carry experiences and whatever else looks interesting to you. I have learned so much here about many different things! Welcome!

Registered
I guess I was looking for some practical advice from first hand experience. Just didn't meet my expectations.
I agree that the instructor should have covered the laws of the state concerning concealed carry, it's rights and responsibilities. As far as practical advice from first hand experience, that is somewhat more difficult as most people including LEO's will carry their entire adult life time and never have the need to use their weapon.

Was the instructor a "Certified Instructor"? The NRA and other certifying organizations usually have a basic lesson plan outline that should be followed.

Banned
Get your permit and ask to sit in another class somewhere else just for knowledge. I was lucky enough to have the best instructor in Las Vegas myself. Good Luck.

Reactions: ncfarmer

Registered

Super Moderator

I know the feeling, my class was kind of a joke as well, the instructor could not answer any specific questions other then saying that is a grey area. It was very frustrating. There is a very good book out specific to Florida, and there is also a good concealed carry forum specific to Florida. I would look for a forum specific to your state and start there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts