Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until recently, I haven't seen CCI Stinger ammo in 22LR for about 6 years. I would look every time I went to Walmart or Academy, and it just wasn't around. Finally, a couple of months ago, it suddenly was showing up on store shelves, and in abundance ! I was down to about 250 rounds and this is the ammo that my wife's purple Sig Mosquito loves, so I wasn't able to take her to the range there for awhile to shoot her favorite gun. I've rectified that problem in a big way now. Let's just say that if we have another shortage, I would still be able to take her to the range for years, hopefully until the shortage ended.

The really nice thing is, that at Academy, the price is about what it was before the scare, about $5.50 per box of 50.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I love CCI Stingers as well. I've dealt with many a vermin dropped with Stingers. Most recent was a groundhog crawling out from under a friend's shed using a P07 Kadet kit. I still have a small stock from before the shortage. They are my first choice when hunting with a .22. After that it's CCI Mini-Mag HP. When using the suppressor, I do drop to standard velocity when using a rifle. They still do the sonic crack when when I've tested them.

My S&W M&P15-22 as well as my Sig 522 perform well on coyotes out to 75 yards. I'm reluctant to test beyond that but I have done it past that, but not by much.

When they were short in supply I did test Winchester's .22 Varmint segmented rounds. They worked fine, but I still have more faith when using a .22 in CCI.

Maloy

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Fast, flat - prepare to adjust your poa/poi. ;)

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 22 rifle loves the velocitor's. Tried all brands of CCI and for my gun Velocitor shoots best.
Oddly enough, I found two boxes of Velocitor ammo at Cabelas once, a couple of years ago, bought it, then saw no more at all. Those actually have a velocity higher than the Stingers !

My other favorite is the Remington Yellow Jacket, the fps is about the same as the Stinger and they feed just as well in my guns, even though the shape of the hollowpoint is more of a cone-shape. I haven't seen these since before the scare either, and I only have about 300 of them left.

·
Super Moderator
35,427 Posts
Stingers are plentiful here, but they don't perform all that great in ANY of my rimfires. CCI standard velocity, OTOH, are cheap match grade ammo in my 10/22. Every one of my .22s likes something different. Remington Golden Bullet works in a couple, Federal 550 bulk in several. They're all different.

Feed your gun what it likes, I say!!! :D

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Oddly enough, I found two boxes of Velocitor ammo at Cabelas once, a couple of years ago, bought it, then saw no more at all. Those actually have a velocity higher than the Stingers !

My other favorite is the Remington Yellow Jacket, the fps is about the same as the Stinger and they feed just as well in my guns, even though the shape of the hollowpoint is more of a cone-shape. I haven't seen these since before the scare either, and I only have about 300 of them left.
I thought stingers were about 1650 and velocitors were about 1450...I've probably got that mixed up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought stingers were about 1650 and velocitors were about 1450...I've probably got that mixed up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Your post made me dig up my inventory on my phone and I was wrong, I had bought CCI Segmented HP instead of Velocitors. Interestingly, the Segmented HP moves at exactly the same fps as the Stingers, 1640.

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Super Moderator
35,427 Posts
I believe those velocities you all quote are advertised rifle ballistics. Out of my Rossi 511 4" barrel, shot many years ago, mean velocity of the stingers was 1187 fps. Mini mag shot 1020 fps out of the same revolver.

Reactions: Tuco_Ramírez

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe those velocities you all quote are advertised rifle ballistics. Out of my Rossi 511 4" barrel, shot many years ago, mean velocity of the stingers was 1187 fps. Mini mag shot 1020 fps out of the same revolver.
Yes thats very likely correct but all I know is, my wife's Mosquito loves it. Whatever it's going at is enough to cycle the gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,427 Posts
Just don't expect bullet expansion at handgun velocities. Those segmented bullets intrigue me, though. Don't know how they'd work in a self defense scenario. I think I would want the bullet to hold together anyway, though, for penetration.

You're right, though, in my autos, all I care about is FIRST accuracy, then function. If it won't shoot straight OR it won't function, I won't feed the gun with it. :D All I'm doing is shooting a 6" steel gong with it. Now, my little SR22 or even my NAA mini revolver, I've used to shoot snakes and other vermin around the place. The SR22 is quite accurate with Federal Champion 550 bulk packs or Remington Golden Bullet and functions 100 percent. :D The SR22 shoots 2" groups off the bench with either load, about as good as that gun gets, but it's plenty good 'nuf! :D

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I finally break down and buy myself a 22 pistol, it's almost sure to be a SR22. I've read that they feed everything, and that's good enough for me. If it feeds everything, then you can find a load it will like.

·
Super Moderator
35,427 Posts
My SR feeds everything I've fed it except those terribly light Winchester 333 bulk packs. That stuff is about like shooting CCI quiet. :rolleyes: It doesn't function in ANYTHING, but bolt action rifles and revolvers. Otherwise, I haven't found the HV round the SR doesn't feed well.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
First bought CCI Stingers in Santa Fe NM in 1976 while I was sitting a drilling rig south of town. I had ground squirrels getting into my food supplies not matter how well secured. After losing several loaves of bread that I had secured in an ice chest, I declared war. The Stingers were outrageously expensive at the time (box of regular .22LR was $0.50/50-rnd box; Stingers were $3.50/50-rnd box), but boy did they work in my Ruger 10-22. I would hit a squirrel and it would vanish. Problem solved.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
My stinger aka P22 loves them and I keep some around just for her!;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts