Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I tried to carry my model 66 IWB all day to see how easy/hard it was to conceal. Since I was staying home all day it seemed a good time to try. I noticed that if I carried it strong side (uncle mikes 2) the grips were too high and awkward to get a good grip when drawing plus it put my hand at a weird angle. So, I tried it weak side cross draw. Much better with my grip, but seemed like the butt printed more.

The holster puts the cylinder at the band line. Should I try to find one that puts it below the waist band? What would solve these issues?

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

UM's are cheap holsters and aren't really suited for CCW. Go to a LGS that has a good selection of holster and find the one that you like best.

Paul

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I can't imagine a 66 being comfortable IWB with any holster.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You'll be amazed at how comfortable a "good" holster and belt combo will be. Stay away from the inexpensive nylon stuff.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the problem with the butt sticking so high up my body. Makes for an awkward motion for drawing. Does the type of holster affect that? Seems like if it was down another half inch or and inch it might be better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
AZM66, I carry a model 431 iwb 90% of the time. The keys I found are:

1) find a holster that puts the back of the cylinder at the top of the belt/waistband.
2)the holsters clips/loops need to be as far apart as possible. This will support the weight of the gun better, andget your attachment points away from the thickest part of the gun.
3)buy a REAL gunbelt. Carrying a med. frame takes a stiff belt. Blackhawk! Makes a very affordable choice.
4) if possible, get th gun behind your hip or aiwb. The cylinder tends to dig in to the hip and becomes oncomfortable after a few hours. If barrel length allows it, aiwb is a great option. If you're Comfortable with it, a med. Frame is concealable even in the dog days of summer. Good luck, and hooyah for carrying a classic fighting revolver!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AZM66, I carry a model 431 iwb 90% of the time. The keys I found are:

1) find a holster that puts the back of the cylinder at the top of the belt/waistband.
2)the holsters clips/loops need to be as far apart as possible. This will support the weight of the gun better, andget your attachment points away from the thickest part of the gun.
3)buy a REAL gunbelt. Carrying a med. frame takes a stiff belt. Blackhawk! Makes a very affordable choice.
4) if possible, get th gun behind your hip or aiwb. The cylinder tends to dig in to the hip and becomes oncomfortable after a few hours. If barrel length allows it, aiwb is a great option. If you're Comfortable with it, a med. Frame is concealable even in the dog days of summer. Good luck, and hooyah for carrying a classic fighting revolver!
Thanks for the tips. I have thought about the aiwb, but on a cross draw from my pt22, however, I keep thinking... Doesn't that violate a rule of firearms? Never point at something you don't intend to destroy? Especially sitting, it would be pointing right at my thigh or other... or am I not understanding how it would work?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very true. If its something your not comfortable with thats cool. It's not something to take lightly, or do for the cool factor. The best way to try is do it with an unloaded gun around the house. Keep in mind if you screw up you will die! Its not the gonads, but rather the femoral artery that is the concern. I personally feel this is the best way for me to conceal a full sized firearm. But thats me. The key concern is reholstering, look where u are putting the gun. If you go too fast trying to be a ninja you will screw yourself up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts