Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer weather is coming here in Vegas. While I love my little stainless PT145, I have been thinking of getting one of the new Ruger LCP's to fit in with the lighter summer wear.

However, Ruger does not make a stainless version. I am concerned that if I carry it IWB in this summer heat it will not take much time before it will start to rust. I would like to hear from other experienced CC members regarding blued guns carried IWB. Also, I'm not opposed to considering a Kel Tec P3AT in a Hard Chrome finish if it would prove more rust resistant. I'm pretty much open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Unless you plan on carrying it 24 hours a day 7 days a week I wouldn't be too concerned with rust. When you take it off, simply give it a good wipe-down with a silicone embedded cloth and you'll be good to go. I've carried my Taurus 817 IWB in the heat and the blued finish is just like new to this day.

·
Registered
532 Posts
For me, it is important to wear something between me and the gun. If the gun is right against my body, even in a holster, I will perspire more, and the gun will be damp when I take it off. An undershirt makes all the difference in the world.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
+1 with NYPD I have my Dads old back up Taurus m85 38 its been through everything and back again he carried it close to 15 years and it looks new. The siicone cloth works great I keep one or two handy and wipe my guns down whenever I handle them plus the humidity here in the south is terrible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Unless you plan on carrying it 24 hours a day 7 days a week I wouldn't be too concerned with rust. When you take it off, simply give it a good wipe-down with a silicone embedded cloth and you'll be good to go. I've carried my Taurus 817 IWB in the heat and the blued finish is just like new to this day.
You live in a much drier climate than some- like me. I would assume and imagine (as I've been in a desert climate or two) that you don't get soaking-arse wet when you step outside, and stay that way most of the day, like we do here in the SouthEast.

For me, it will be Duracoat. My P11 and P40 will be Duracoated once the stuff arrives, and I'll probably be doing a MilPro up with the stuff as well.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I also lived in NYC for the majority of my life. (And carried IWB off-duty there in the 90+ degree summers with 95% humidity) So I would like to think that I've been soaking wet a countless number of times there. ;)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. That's why I like this forum. So many knowledgable people.

It sounds like the Ruger LCP would be a suitable CCW for summer attire without rust being a problem. They still are not available locally. My dealer just shrugs his shoulders when I ask when he will get his first shipment.

After my initial post, I ran across a North American Arms Guardian .380 which is stainless and about $150 more than the LCP. NAA has a lifetime warranty. (Ruger appears to have an unwritten lifetime warranty.) So, it looks like I have some further consideration to do.

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
You'd have to be a pretty profuse sweater and not care for the gun before it would even come close to rusting, I'd think.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
You'd have to be a pretty profuse sweater and not care for the gun before it would even come close to rusting, I'd think.
not much into IWB holsters but i'd tend to have the same line of thinking..
it seems objects you handle all the time even when you dont treat their finish never seem to rust.. i think it has to do with the constant contact and rubbing which keeps the metal from rusting..

this is just what i think i dont know really know for sure.
but i do know i prefer to have some sort of material between the gun and my skin it helps to avoid rubbing and scratching your skin and helps keep the sweat off the gun.

i dont think you'll have a problem with IWB and rust.. now if you did'nt clean it up before putting it away for 6months then.. you might have rust where the guns had sweat on it and put way.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had a few days to think about it. While the NAA Guardian has a my much preferred stainless finish, it also weighs twice as much as a Kel Tec or Ruger. I'm still hunting for the Ruger locally, and would buy a hard chromed or parkerized Kel Tec for the right price. I don't know much about DuraCoat as Taurus_Jeeper suggested, so I'll keep that in mind, too.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
FYI a larger local shop I stopped into last week has a waiting list for the Ruger LCP's.

Steelheart

1 - 15 of 15 Posts