Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going down to Washington DC in August, I will be visiting many Federal Institutions, my questions are: Can I carry in DC? Can I carry on Federal Property? I live in PA so I don't know about DC! Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
From what I have heard, not the best place to push the limits either.

I would avoid there, until this BS from Heller gets resolved. If you got to go, I would recommend, no carry gun!! But what the heck do I know!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm just going to have to leave my Taurus 24 / 7 .40 at home this time! Don't want no troubles down in DC of all places! Sh*t don't stink until you poke around in it! Take Care!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
Makes you feel safe knowing that no one else has a gun, eh? Since guns are not allowed and all that.
Precisely, cause we all know the criminals leave their guns at the border. Some people haven't figured out that the criminals don't exactly follow rules.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
I'm permitted to carry in all fifty states under The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, HR-218. When this legislation was first signed into law, we realized it only applied to the states. Since DC isn't a state, or in a state, the law does not apply there. I would not recommend carrying in DC.

As a footnote, New York City said they will not recognize out of state cops, but there have been two cases so far that supported out of state cop carry, both cases in New York State. 8)


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
pioneer461 said:
I'm permitted to carry in all fifty states under The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, HR-218. When this legislation was first signed into law, we realized it only applied to the states. Since DC isn't a state, or in a state, the law does not apply there. I would not recommend carrying in DC.

As a footnote, New York City said they will not recognize out of state cops, but there have been two cases so far that supported out of state cop carry, both cases in New York State. 8)
Same goes for me----gotta love H.R. 218.
The only difference is I am able to carry in NYC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Nunsa said:
Yeah, I'm just going to have to leave my Taurus 24 / 7 .40 at home this time! Don't want no troubles down in DC of all places! Sh*t don't stink until you poke around in it! Take Care!

Yep you can't even bring amunition into DC! A friend of the family just got thru dealing with that. He was stopped in a random check (he is a building contractor) and had a single shotgun shell under the seat of his truck from a skeet shoot the weekend before...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
40,380 Posts
Sounds like Mexico. Better not lose a .22 cartridge under the seat and have the authorities find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Smokewagon said:
Sounds like Mexico. Better not lose a .22 cartridge under the seat and have the authorities find it.
That reminds me . . . Some liveaboard boating friends of ours were going through the border back to Mexico (with their two cats). The Mexican Federales decided to search their van and made the new guy do it. He was rummaging around and started sifting his hand through the cats' litter box, not knowing what it was. Our friends started yelling, "No! No! El Gato! El Gato!" The older Federales all had a good laugh at the new guys expense and sent our friends on their way. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act does allow for carry in DC. See below


http://www.grandlodgefop.org/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

The law says I am exempt from the laws of any State or any political subdivision
thereof. Does this mean the law is not effective in Washington, D.C., Puerto
Rico, or other U.S. territories?


No, the law applies in these places as well. The term State is defined in Chapter 44 of Title 18,
which is the portion of the U.S. Code that the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act amends,
and the one that applies when interpreting this Act.
Section 921, Chapter 44 of Title 18 reads: “The term ‘State’ includes the District of Columbia,
the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the
Canal Zone).
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top