Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up.

***I found this on another page, this did not happen to me!***

Public service announcement: While I was in a Denver gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that's less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the police chief of that county came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I've heard of this in Denver. Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list.

This next comment from a Gunsite instructor: I don't know how widespread this is becoming , but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete
in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc. Some crews were
working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town. BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes this does happen I've seen it wondered what was going on reported what I saw and the security called DPS on those thugs and got em out of crossroads of the west in AZ because of Me.. My wife made me do it ... So that's my excuse

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
What will good-for-nothing, too-lazy-to-work-and-earn-a-living, greedy punk criminals think of next?

Thank you for sharing this eye-opening article with us.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
This is a real concern since most gun shops, pawn shops and indoor ranges request that all guns be unloaded upon entry. My carrying.
Weapon is on top of my bag or console and ready to be back on duty very quickly.. I should prob not admit that I have been know to carry loaded in pawn and gun shops, especially when the sign is homemade !!!!!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Thanks for posting.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Very valuable info for all of us.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Enhh... urban legend.

Reactions: Three Percent

·
10,379 Posts
Enhh... urban legend.
Ehh, that's what I thought at first, so I hit Snopes up and ended up reading "Rope A Dope" (freakin' hysterical btw) and any other number of completely unrelated stories provided by their search engine, I completely forgot what story I was actually looking for.

Kinda like Wikipedia: Start a targeted search and 4 hours later you're looking at something completely unrelated and have no idea of how you got there or what you were originally looking for.

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
I've been going to PETA and other tofu eater rallies and putting "No Guns Aboard" stickers on their rear bumpers to let the world know their platform.

Since there are no guns the Gang Bangers have to content themselves with wallets, smart phones and rolexes. ;)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Enhh... urban legend.
Nope. Oldest trick in the book. When I was in Alabama, they used to do it in bank parking lots on the first and fifteenth.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This is one of those deals where you always hear stories of it happening but in searching the web and talking to local cops no police reports seem to ever back it up. Think about it, it wouldn't really be worth their effort. I go to gun shows and don't buy anything, a lot. So ripping me off will get you a broke down car, possibly some pocket change rolling around on the floor of the car and not much else. A lot of what is bought is of no use to them.

They typically get their weapons from robbing houses or off a fence. If the gang is large enough, such as MS13 they just buy them thru contacts. We busted an Army Quartmaster during the LA Olympics doing exactly that.

Sarge

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Nope. Oldest trick in the book. When I was in Alabama, they used to do it in bank parking lots on the first and fifteenth.
Any actual reports (with a name) to back that up? Or just stories about it happening to a friend of an acquaintance of a guy that worked with my brother-in-law?

Reactions: retg

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I'm ground zero. Might be urban legend, but pays to keep aware of all possibilities.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Thanks for the post, I'll pass it on to friends and family

Reactions: harley 1986

·
Registered
28 Posts
there are more thiefs out there than hard working people,,there is no end to what they will think to do other than get a job,,if you think for one moment that this cant happen then you have worked to much and think everybody does like you,,crooks go to no end to steal and be lazy so they dont have to work,,its like some people I actually work with,,they think harder on how to get out of the work (which takes longer)instead of actually doing the work itself,,the aztecs might be right and the world ends in 2012 as god is going to stop this crap one day,,its a shame really as it seems most people want a free ride so they can sit on there ass and ponder the meaning (life? naw)how to steal from there brother

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have read newspaper articles where thieves target travelers in Florida and other states who assign specially marked license plates to rental vehicles knowing that many of them contain cameras, computers, and other easily turned valuables. The thieves can spot a rental car very easily that way. I believe Florida has stopped issuing special rental vehicle plates for this reason.

That is why I would never leave a camera, computer, gun or other valuables in a vehicle. Yes I have carried a concealed weapon into a gunshop and other places, but here in Minnesota if they have the business posted and or ask you to leave it is a simple misdemeanor tresspassing charge if you refuse to leave.

Every time a new security system hits the market a thief will have devised a means to get around it in a matter of days or weeks, it is a continous battle.

How many of your cars can I open with a tennis ball without leaving a mark on the vehicle?

Got a Delauren? I got a rubber mallet that works just as good as a key and you will never find any damage to it either!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
FORGIVE ME I AM GOING TO CLIMB UP ON MY SOAP BOX, SO BE PLEASE BE TOLERANT.
OK, so the quote is fictional.. But I dont want to discount it, I'd rather discuss it.
Here on TA there is always a thread being dicussed about what condition do we live our lives in, at home, work or in public.
How far fetched is this story, really??
BG's target GI's, seniors and anyone one else catching a check on the 15 th and the 1st of the month. THis has gone on for years.
BG's target range goers at out door remote firing ranges. We just had the story of the senior leaving the range who was shot, robbed and left for dead--- but he was blessed and he survived.
How about the CHristmas holidays, the BG's target shoppers storing packages in their cars or carrying big bundles to the car.
I have traveled for business for over 35 years and when in a hotel I never pack my car the last day until I am ready to roll. so if the meeting or function doesnt end until later in the day my luggage stays with me or at the bell capt desk. Yes BG's watch hotels and when you load your luggage and go back inside they know your not ready to roll.. I have personally witnessed the after the fact investigations where luggage, computers and guns have been stolen. One meeting we had 4 attendees cars broken into and robbed.
I for one, will share this info with family and friends in an effort to raise their level of awareness to their surroundings. I can tell them that there is no factual data but its something to raise your defense condition.

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just another reason to thank God, for small town USA ...... Have LGS that does not have a problem with you carrying, why, because it is your right.. they do request guns to be unloaded if brought in for repair. Gangs, non existant, guessing cause of our population, it would have to be made up of cows, n coyotes.

Reactions: harley 1986

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Here in Alabama, the meter maids will mark your tire so they know if you have stayed too long in the 15 minute or 1 hour, parking spot. Now if I saw someone not a policeman marking my tires I would probably hold them and call the police since they were vandalizing my car.

In my LGS everyone working there is carrying all the time, no one is asked not to carry or to carry unloaded, and where I smoke cigars, all the employees carry all the time. There are only a few places I don't carry, on the local military post, in the bank and at the doctor's office.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts