Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While researching the perfect ammo for my Kahr P380 and my Tauris 709, I came across some news that potential buyers of Buffalo Bore and CorBon ammo may want to know. Recent (this year) customer reviews on the Midway and Cabelas web sites are indicating that CorBon is not using the Barnes bullet for their DPX loads but another type of all copper bullet. I don't know if this is a temporary thing or not, but the bullet currently in use, according to the reviews, apparently has a smaller hollow cavity than the Barnes. The reviews also indicate that Buffalo Bore is currently not using the Speer Gold Dot bullet in their +P ammo. This is confirmed on the BB website which actually apologizes for the substituion saying they are having trouble getting the GD's and are substituting a Sierra hollowpont instead. They say they will start using the GD's again as soon as they are available. Good for BB being up front about it. I couldn't find anything on the CorBon website about a substitution. I'm not sure how many calibers this affects as I was looking primarily at .380s & 9mm. Bottom line, check inside the box to be sure you're getting the bullet you want.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
Corbon's regular ammo uses a Barnes bullet - if the DPX doesn't, I'm not sure I'm all that worried about it.....hollowpoints these days are pretty reliable, for the most part. I would worry alot more about where I'm placing my shot because that is much more likely to end a gunfight.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
The good news is they all perform about the same on the street.

The bad news (or reality) is that no matter whether or not your bullet mushrooms or brcolli's, it's no garuntee it'll work the "magic" one desires.

Why? Because there are no "magic" bullets, only the hope that if we are fortunate enough to place it in a vital spot on our assailent that it "may" stop him from what he is trying to do.

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
The only Corbon ammo that uses the Barnes bullet is the "Thunder Ranch"

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
many things (especially in modern designed seff defense ammo) controls expansion and pentration other than the size of the hollow point.
for example while copper is a fairly uniform metal by itself and certain charteristics can be figured by comparing speed / sectional density but if the copper compound (alloy) is changed so changes those charateristics.
simply looking at the outside of a projectile does little to reflect what it will do upon impact.
and of course the target and what its made of, density, hardness and materials which the projectile must pass through to reach the target all differ and so does the actual performance of the projectile in the "Perfect' bullet.
in my opinion multiple shots and shot placement trumphs any projectile difference in modern design ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts