Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my PT709 at an outdoor range last week, and after the first magazine, I was having trouble finding all the brass. Two fell straight down from the pistol, there were a couple at about 4:30 and 6 feet away, and one straight back at 12 o'clock about 9 feet. The last two were not found. The second magazine was worse (I recovered 4). I'm not sure what's causing the brass to go every-which-way, but it's annoying in grass. I was not planning for 40% brass loss on each range trip.

I was wondering if you have a favorite strategy for catching brass from a 700; or at least getting it to land within a few feet of each other.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Pretty much the same with mine,and my firestar, and my mini-14 especially.it really will toss em.hour of shooting,hour of brass recovery in a grassy area even pretty much forget about in unless you bring a set of kneepads with you.but it does seem (the 709) is getting better,it wants to toss them about 5 oclock over my shoulder about 5-6 feet away now,maybe breaking in further?did have a few land on my right shoulder(I'm right handed) and want to roll down my arm,at least I was wearing a long sleeve shirt those times.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I snagged a couple pieces of lightweight camo netting/fabric, I think it is a 4x12 or something similar. I just lay it on the ground and stand to the left of it. Most all of the brass lands on it, and it is light enough fabric that it doesn't really cause any kind of trip hazard.

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
Well I shoot almost always at an indoor range, but regardless of indoor or outdoor do what i do.
I have mentioned this many times previously here!
I bought the wife a new set of oven mitts for her last birthday, she goes to the range with me and she with a little practice hardly ever misses catching the spent cases while still in mid air.
she was dropiing alot of them before cause they burned her fingers, but since the mitts came along shes about 98% or better.
It works out well, we get to spend time togther and she gets a bit of exercise at the same time.
makes shooting much more enjoyble for me if i don't have to hunt for brass.
Just a suggestion!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the wife a new set of oven mitts for her last birthday, she goes to the range with me and she with a little practice hardly ever misses catching the spent cases while still in mid air.
That's the funniest! Reminds me of when my brother and I used to pay our younger sister 5 cents/page to copy from the screen onto paper (we didn't have a printer; this was back before we bought an Okidata u92 Microline).

I'll have to try the ground-cloth idea.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You could make one of these pretty simple with a fish net.You could mount it on a tripod if you are standing ...or buy one if they are cheap enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to try the ground-cloth idea.
Well, I haven't tried the ground cloth. The wood ticks are thick, and you'd have to burn the tarp afterwards. They'll simmer down once it gets hot.

i had some time to get comfortable, and found that casings landed near each other when shots on target were near each other. Most cases were within two paces, between 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock. I think I spent about 4x as much time chasing brass as shooting, but I found them all. Note to self: hard-to-find brass means that I need practice.

My PT709 muzzle slugs at .355 (can't seem to slug the throat reliably). I fired 100 .358 cast boolits, and they shot accurately until #99, which jammed in the throat. The 5 rounds I had tested dropped right in, but the round that jammed measures .380 at the mouth of the jacket, and .388 near the rim/heel, 1/1000 bigger than the rest. I'm considering moving down to .356 for cast boolits. But just 1 failure to chamber, in 100 rounds, makes me think that a 1/1000 reduction is worth trying first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts