Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In TX it states you can carry in your place of business, home & vehicle. My question is what if your main mode of transport is a motorcycle? I have a truck that I drive also but because of gas prices I mainly ride my bike(motorcycle). Is it legal to carry without a permit if it was say in a backpack or something similar. A girl I work with asked me and I told her I didn't know and maybe you guys could answer the ? for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Don't know TX law that well so I'll say what I say in every thread----Contact your State Attorney General.

In my opinion though, a backpack is part of you and not the bike. So if you conceal it in a backpack you are carrying concealed on your person. I would assume it would have to be in a saddlebag of some sort attached to the bike.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
Stowed, the firearm should be fine. But on your person is one of those gray areas. I wouldn't chance it. Actually this is not the same as Castle, which allows you to defend yourself anywhere you have a legal right to be, but clarifies the statutes on travelling. Check with DPS and/or the Attorney Generals office. You got me curious, may check into it myself later.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I figured some of you would be curious to find out what the answer to this question would be. From the info some of you have found im thinking maybe this fits in with the castle law. But I agree with contacting a state official or police department and getting the exact answer.

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read the law I was just curious what you guys considered "inside a motor vehicle" when it came to a motorcycle.

·
Registered
509 Posts
jgos929 said:
I've read the law I was just curious what you guys considered "inside a motor vehicle" when it came to a motorcycle.
It does not matter what we think, the law in Texas is pretty clear.
You have the right to defend yourself from Crime, including but not limited to a simple robbery.
This gives Texans a whole bunch of authority and puts the criminals on notice.

It was amazing to read the code and how they Used the Old Codes and restructured it.

You'll see where there are lines striking through the old parts of the code.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whats the point of a forum if it doesn't matter what you think? People get on forums to find out what other people think. I came on here and asked a question hoping someone who knew more about the law than I do would chime in and some have. Thanks for that. You say the law in TX is pretty clear but if you look through the previous posts, other people on here are questioning it also.

·
Registered
509 Posts
jgos929 said:
Whats the point of a forum if it doesn't matter what you think? People get on forums to find out what other people think. I came on here and asked a question hoping someone who knew more about the law than I do would chime in and some have. Thanks for that. You say the law in TX is pretty clear but if you look through the previous posts, other people on here are questioning it also.
Did you read the stuff in the link I posted?
It is the actual law as entered into by Texas, the original document.
In a nutshell, it says if a crime is being committed against you or if a crime or major crimes IE: Rape, Assault etc, are committed against others, you have the right to shoot and not run away in defense of yourself or to stop a major crime against others.
Whether you are in a car, your yard, in a parking lot.
If you have the legal right to be there, you have the right to defend yourself and not have any punitive damage against you in a civil case.
Also, Texas Law CLEARLY STATES that whether or not you could FLEE or AVOID the situation is not to be considered and not allowed to be used as a means to prosecute you and may not be taken into consideration to do so.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/SB00378I.htm
If you read the page on the link, I think you will feel better.
I wish my states Castle Law was as simple and well written.

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
What one thinks does matter. Actually ,the original post title is a little misleading. Castle and HB1815 ar two different critters. The original question deals with carry on a motorcycle, not Castle Doctrine. I posted my 3cents worth, so lets stay with motorcycle carry in Texas.

Myetball said:
I looked in the Texas Transportation Code for definitions and here's what I found:
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm

Of course if you can carry on a motorcycle, you can't stop and get off anywhere. At least in a car/truck you can stow the weapon if you need to go get a tall boy...I mean soda.

On your person is not a gray area. The statute clearly states you are authorized the unlicensed carry of a concealed handgun inside your vehicle, not the unlicensed stowage of a hidden handgun. Actually, in Texas, "on or about" your person is concealed carry. In your pants or in the glove box, it's considered the same. Of course if you step out of your vehicle with a gun in your pants you could be in trouble. May be tricky if an officer asks you to step out of the vehicle...."wait officer, I have to take my gun out of my pants." At first he may think you're a pervert....
Hence the gray area and motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I know the question came up here in Florida wear a guy was riding a motorcycle thinking well he had no place to put his gun thinking it was ok to carry on him during his ride he didnt have a license to conceal so he got arrested for carrying a concealed weapon also stated that if you were riding a motorcycle and carrying should be placed in the saddle bag. I read this in Gutmachers blog at floridafirearmslaw.com he explains several cases hes observed or tried.Gutmacher is the auther of the book florida firearms laws he is an Attorney here in orlando.

·
Registered
509 Posts
IN Tennessee, No Permit, No carry on your person, EVEN EMPTY.

·
Registered
522 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts