Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lyman 358345 and 313445. Haven't cast with either in half a decade. Good bullets when I get around to maken'em.

·
Super Moderator
40,615 Posts
Help me out, how do you decipher the mold numbers? Based on Post #2 the first 3 numbers are the dia. what are the other numbers?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, the first 3 digits are the nominal diameter. The rest of the numbers, be they 1, 2, or 3 digits is the "cherry" number that Ideal/Lyman used to make the mold. The term "cherry" refers to the boring tool design.
This numbering system is only good for Lyman molds. Each manufacturer uses their own variation of it, sometimes very similar and sometimes totally different.
The only sure way is to know or have access to the manufacturers numbering system. RCBS is easy. Saeco is just 3 digit numbers that are catalog numbers as far as I can tell without a chart of their molds. Lee used to use designators that were easy to define, now they simply put the 5 digit "item" number on the mold, so now you have to have a chart of their molds to tell what the bullet is for and how much it should weigh.
Most of my 50+ molds are Ideal/Lyman, with a couple of RCBS/Ohaus molds and a few Lee molds thrown in the mix. I'm not sure how many molds I have, I sold off a lot of them over the last 3 years, I just didn't use them or they were duplicates. I tend to collect molds, used is good, I like used molds, guns, saddles and some other things. Most of what I really like and appreciate ain't be'in made no more!!!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I cheat the Lyman reloading book list the 358345 as a 115 gr swc, a friend cast it and sized it for 9 mm. We also used it as cast as a small game bullet in 38 specials. The first three numbers are as cast diameter, so I knew the 313445 was a 32 caliber, and he shoots several 32's. I also grew up shooting a 32 S&W long in an old Smith revolver. Several friends also did and handloading is a must, as well as casting. Been a long time so probably wrong but think it is swc or full wadcutter, and under 100 grains. 32's need a flat point for small game to do their best. When guesser is back on line he can correct my mistakes.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, the 358345 drops from my mold at .359, it can be sized down to fit 9MM, I have used it in a NMBH 9MM convertible, I may try it in my High Power. It is a great 115 gr. bullet for alloy frame 38's, I use it in my S&W M37. The 313445 is a 90-95 gr. SWC of a unique design, the front driving band is very wide and the swc nose is rather sharp, even for 32 cal. The mold is new to me so I'll try it in 32 Long and 32 Magnum. Going to drop some more of them today after I get my monday chores done.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Guesser, have a question about 32's for you. I have a couple thousand cast 120 grain round nose that are .310/.311. Were made for 7.62x39 and I got them as a bulk buy from a guys family after he died. Been thinking about running them through a swag die and flat pointing them. What is the heavest bullet you have ran through a 32 long?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stay below 100 gr. for the 32 Long, my opinion here, you get much heavier than 95 gr. and the law of diminishing returns takes over. Being .310/.311 they are a little small for service in any of the revolver rounds, if you could bump them up to .312 or so they would work in 32-20 or 327 Magnum. Have you given any thought to a 30 caliber rifle "plinker" just as they are. 30-30, 308, 30-06, or any other. Would be a great way to introduce a youngster to centerfire rifle shooting. 5-8 grains of any shotgun powder, Red dot, Green Dot, Unique would work great. If they are pointed and your 30-30 is tubular magazine just single load them. Would be fun for all.
Some more: 7.65X53 Argentine, 303 British, 7.7X58 Jap, 7.62X54R Russian; they would plink from any of them.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I bought them to use in a 30 carbine Ruger revolver as plinking loads. Running them through a .308 sizer they work great. Running them in a .312 swage die with a flat point punch on both ends bumps them up and makes a wide nose flat point. It is not a bad looking bullet. It is heavy for what I wanted. Figured out of a 32 long case they would be running around 500 fps and tumbling? As much casting and shooting as you do figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before trying?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Load 6 of them and run'em over the course and see what happens, might be a surprising, fun experience. I'd like to know how it works. I have a single cavity 311359 that would be in the same class. Please post an opinion after giving them a try.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Shot a few in a custom 32 H&R mag. Contender barrel. It has a fast enough twist to stabilize. Did not chrony but had no trouble seeing them as they went to the 50 yard Target. Dead on at 50 yards had a midrange of over 4". Fun to play with but too heavy for the 32 long case. Would probably tumble out of a revolver barrel twist. Load would have been too hot in revolver, primers show pressure high.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, I remember meeting a man at a gun show in Idaho about 15 years ago that had a single shot rifle in 32 H&R and it had a twist to stabilize heavy bullets. Seems he ran the 311359, it is a spitzer gas checked casting. I had forgotten that until you posted. Always something to tinker with.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The Contender barrel was made from a section of rifle barrel. It is a 10" barrel with a 1 x 4, 30mm tube handgun scope. Is very accurate for a straight wall handgun round. Have played with the 32 long case necked to 22 and 17 in rifles and handguns. Need to do a single shot rifle in 32 Long. The 120 grain bullets would probably work well in longer cases. I believe you are right about staying under 100 grains with the small case.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, the 358345 drops from my mold at .359, it can be sized down to fit 9MM, I have used it in a NMBH 9MM convertible, I may try it in my High Power. It is a great 115 gr. bullet for alloy frame 38's, I use it in my S&W M37. The 313445 is a 90-95 gr. SWC of a unique design, the front driving band is very wide and the swc nose is rather sharp, even for 32 cal. The mold is new to me so I'll try it in 32 Long and 32 Magnum. Going to drop some more of them today after I get my monday chores done.
I bet they will work great for those of us loading .30 Carbine ?

God bless
Wyr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts