Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hmm, lead, I’d likely use .430. I’d also check the barrel for leading. Also mind the temp of the powder pushing cast. Magnum powders like Lil’ Gun and H110 burn at around 5,400 degrees, probably 60-70% hotter than most powders. I’d stay away from the super hot powders unless you’re gas checked. Even then, mind the barrel temp. My Lil’ Gun loads get my barrel so hot you can’t touch it.

I’ve yet to slug a barrel. I load way too many rounds for way too many guns to even worry about that. Probably 26-28 different cartridges for many different guns for most cartridges. If it’s very far off spec, factory rounds will have an issue too. I’ve only had 1 bad gun, accuracy wise, a rifle that wouldn’t shoot anything in under 7”- 8” groups. Other than that, it’s either me (I can usually tell those days) or the sights being off.
yep ,this is getting to be way over thought ------bullet -powder -boom :):):)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cast my 240 mold/250 gr plain base bullets & size to .430" adding some linotype to the scrap/ ww, works well. I never tested BHN. Just use my thumb nail. If you can mark the bullet, its to soft. Lube can be an issue, since the original 50/50 has changed. Using RCBS pistol bullet lube now.

Loads are W296/23 grs and 10 grs Unique. WLP, Starline, Federal or old Remington brass. Always check for crimp jump/ bullet movement on firing.

Load used to test fire trade ins & my 29-2 & SBH.

TIP- A sizing die marked .430" doesnt always produce that diameter. Different alloys spring back differently after sizing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You right about about that. I think.
not trying to be critical of any ones ideas or opinions , but the .44mag - .44special is like .38 special it always
works pretty good any way you do it --

Reactions: mikld

·
Registered
368 Posts
I cast my 240 mold/250 gr plain base bullets & size to .430" adding some linotype to the scrap/ ww, works well. I never tested BHN. Just use my thumb nail. If you can mark the bullet, its to soft. Lube can be an issue, since the original 50/50 has changed. Using RCBS pistol bullet lube now.

Loads are W296/23 grs and 10 grs Unique. WLP, Starline, Federal or old Remington brass. Always check for crimp jump/ bullet movement on firing.

Load used to test fire trade ins & my 29-2 & SBH.

TIP- A sizing die marked .430" doesnt always produce that diameter. Different alloys spring back differently after sizing.

great shooting ---10grs of unique with 240 swcs out of 100% linotype bullets used to be my load in my 10 inch
ruger super blackhawk when i used to shoot metal silhouettes back in the `90`s . they would knock 40 pound
ram targets over at 200 yds no problem ----------

Reactions: 243winxb

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, sometimes a WAG and what "they" use works, but I measure my new guns, because I want to know my guns, and it only needs to be done once. I find my micrometer measurements are much more accurate and repeatable than "push through". "drop through", "tight or loose" or "about". Luckily some things can work with sloppy fitting, but I just prefer to know for sure. I know what sizes are good for my guns just like I know the best viscosity/type of oil to put in my truck and the tire size, and I know for sure what size my shoes need to be...

·
Registered
170 Posts
FWIW; I finally got around to measuring my 2 newest guns; Taurus 605 (.358" throat, .357" groove) and my Taurus 905 (.358" Throats, .356" groove diameter). The 9mm kinda surprised me, but dimentions still in tolerence. Now that I have that info, and recorded it in my reloading binder for 9mm, I have info if any probblems may arise...

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,720 Posts
What surprised me was the .356 dia on the 9, all of my Taurus 9's are .357, which is apparently 'in spec.', according to them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts