Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think your best course of action for consistency, is to FL resize all your brass before trimming. It's a pain, but...
That is where the issue lies, I am full length sizing all the brass but due to trimmers that use the neck of the case as a stop the oal is inconsistent of the oal case length. It seems like the only solution is to use something that uses the entire case length as a guide like the lee oal gauge which is what I used for the first 350 cases. Takes a little longer but it looks like its the way I am going to go for ultimate consistence until I can I get enough cases of a set headstamp and brand to try again lol

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
Maybe give the maker of the trimmer a call and explain the issue you're having with it. They may have heard it before and suggest a solution.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe give the maker of the trimmer a call and explain the issue you're having with it. They may have heard it before and suggest a solution.
this is the response they gave me, seems like it is all in the sizing of the cases. I know every manufacture cases are different. im going to have to separate by head stamp a group, test it with the lee dies and try the trimmer if its consistent its due to the thickness and sizing. if it still does it ill grab the set of rcbs dies (have not gotten around to cleaning the rust preventer from them) and try those and the trimmer.

I doubt its the dies but I know some dies are a little tighter than others and it might make a difference

holub machine.png

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Thinking more about this, I don't currently have a head space gauge and am thinking that having one could speed up my process of sorting brass for the various operations after resizing. Maybe people can weigh in on using one.

When I first started my venture into bottle neck brass it came highly recommended that I get a headspace gauge, not a COAL gauge. At the time I could not find the Lyman gauge that was linked above so I purchased the Hornady model and wasn't completely happy with it so as soon as the Lyman became available I purchased that one also.

These gauges take their measurement from the shoulder datum line which is actually where the case headspaces from.

I can also tell you that the two gauges I have do not match each other though they do measure to the same lengths.

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
Yep...I make my own brass from the too short 5.56 cases
honestly I have aquired so much (enough anyway) 300 Blackout brass from laying in the floor of my range that i don't need to mess with 556 brass any longer.
the 300 BO took off pretty well here and seems a lot of people were shooting factory ammo and leaving the once fired in the floor.
of course IF it becomes needed i can always make the 300 BO from 556 cases.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
honestly I have aquired so much (enough anyway) 300 Blackout brass from laying in the floor of my range that i don't need to mess with 556 brass any longer.
the 300 BO took off pretty well here and seems a lot of people were shooting factory ammo and leaving the once fired in the floor.
of course IF it becomes needed i can always make the 300 BO from 556 cases.

I have GOT to get to your range!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally got around to cleaning the rcbs dies.Took a few videos sizing with the rcbs dies and trimming to see if you see any discrepancy in my use. So far im liking these rcbs dies.
Sizing

Trimming

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
I have GOT to get to your range!
still find a lot of 9 MM and 45 acp brass laying, lots and lots of 223/556 as well.
no 380 course the shop hardly ever has any 380 ammo so that makes sense why none is left laying in the floor.
I have honestly just about quit picking up any brass except mine unless its a really unusual brass like 357 sig, 44/357 magnum now days.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Did a little test this morning with the lee and rcbs sizing die. Grabed 20 pieces of lake city brass. Resized 10 with the lee full length sizer and 10 with the rcbs full length sizer.

Trimmed them with the WCT Trimmer and got the same varying measurements I was getting with the mixed brass and the lee and rcbs dies.

1.745 - 1.749 and two of them were 1.754 all within loading range.

Finally recieved a new set of lee oal gauge for 223 and trimmed 20 cases of mixed brass and it was all between 1.785 and 1.795

Regardless both seem to be solid. But the wct variations are due to indexing off the neck. Still all good to load and shoot in my book lol

21 - 29 of 29 Posts