Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
17,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used a tumbler, but I've read a bit lately about liquid case cleaners. People have various formulas and what not but it never appealed to me for some reason. The other night they had a consumer segment that talked about all the household uses for beer (other than imbibing) and they said it was very good at cleaning jewelry. *LIGHT BULB MOMENT*. Immediately go to the kitchen and drop about 50 .38 cases in a glass bowl and pour a can of Miller Light over them. 20 minutes and a couple of agitations later they look pretty dang good!

Not sure this is cost effective, but there are some pretty cheap brands that should do. Of course Colt .45 Malt Liquor would probably be the most appropriate choice...

My wife is less that thrilled with bullet cases soaking in beer in the kitchen.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Buy Kool-Aid packets for .25 cents each to get 2 quarts of cleaning solution. The citric acid should clean them up pretty darn good and is more cost effective than beer. Especially when you consider you only rent the beer anyway. :D

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
17,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
17,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buy Kool-Aid packets for .25 cents each to get 2 quarts of cleaning solution. The citric acid should clean them up pretty darn good and is more cost effective than beer. Especially when you consider you only rent the beer anyway. :D
The report credited the carbonation for a lot of the effect, so I don't know.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Waste of good beer!
EXACTLY!!----:eek:
It has recently become painfully evident to me that we have amongst us a few members that seriously have their priorities out of whack!
GEEEZ! I need a drink after reading This!!----:chug:

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Miller Light is not good beer. My son left that crap in my fridge.
You are aware that i run a home for unwanted Taurus and Beer , right?
I am cleaning out a place in the fridge as we speak.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
You are aware that i run a home for unwanted Taurus and Beer , right?
I am cleaning out a place in the fridge as we speak.
I have a mini fridge that can hold 4 cases, and it's empty right now.
Send whatever you don't want.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I have a mini fridge that can hold 4 cases, and it's empty right now.
Thats one of the saddest stories that i have heard while on this forum actually!!
I feel for ya man!!-----:'(

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a full size fridge out in the sun room. full of beer, I rarely drink but Ill buy a 12 pack or a 6 pack when going to family functions. I usually have half or more left when I return. In the fridge it goes.. Ill gladly donate to the cause.. It usually just hangs there till the next family event or my friends eventually widdle it away.

and here I thought they hung out with me because they enjoyed my company..

·
Registered
612 Posts
its sterile and I like the taste.

·
17,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pick up some generic 2-liters of Sprite - High levels of citric acid and carbonation may help.
Maybe diet, the sugar might get sticky.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
I've used full strength Apple Cider Vinegar to clean really dirty and Grungy Range Brass or Rifle Brass and it comes out looking like new never fired Brass. It will clean out the Primer Pockets too.

Procedure goes like this:
Deprime if desired
Dump Brass into bucket of Apple Cider Vinegar and agitate (7 minutes exposure MAX!)
Strain Brass from Apple Cider Vinegar and rinse in plain Water
Wash/Agitate Brass in Bucket of Dish Soap (Dawn)
Strain Brass From Dishsoap Bucket and Rinse twice in Bucket of Cold Water
Allow Brass to dry (in Winter, Brass drys quickly)
Tumble Polish if desired, but not necessary

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i may have to try, but it seems like more work then just using a tumbler. although tumblers don't clean primer pockets very well, so may be worth a try. none the less good info.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have tried the Kool Aid, and didn't like it too much. I may have made it too strong, but it left a powder on the cases. Now Lemon juice, about 60-40 with water, and a couple hours. Shake the container every once in a while, rinse, and spread out on a towell. That works pretty well.

However, I did buy the Franklin Arsenal tumbler, and pet bedding, and never looked back.

Paul

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've used full strength Apple Cider Vinegar to clean really dirty and Grungy Range Brass or Rifle Brass and it comes out looking like new never fired Brass. It will clean out the Primer Pockets too.

Procedure goes like this:
Deprime if desired
Dump Brass into bucket of Apple Cider Vinegar and agitate (7 minutes exposure MAX!)
Strain Brass from Apple Cider Vinegar and rinse in plain Water
Wash/Agitate Brass in Bucket of Dish Soap (Dawn)
Strain Brass From Dishsoap Bucket and Rinse twice in Bucket of Cold Water
Allow Brass to dry (in Winter, Brass drys quickly)
Tumble Polish if desired, but not necessary

Hey guys. After reading this thread, I dumped about 50 pieces of 45 brass into a milk jug with about a quart of water and juice of 1 orange and two alka seltzer. They have been there about 30 minutes and after shaking every so often, they look like new!!
Maybe I don't need a tumbler?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts