Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an long time I have wanted to hold a grudge against the 1911. Most owners were arrogant and believed that all handgun development should have ceased 100 years ago. In fact, my first "good" handgun purchase was a FN Hi-Power because it was in fact J.M. Browning's last handgun design which is superior in many ways.

I bought a Springfield G.I. series and my prejudice was pretty well confirmed. It looked like something that you would use to beat someone to death, sloppy, gritty, etc.

I sold it and bought a PT145 which has been a great purchase. Small, light and a full .45. It was and is a tremendous concealed carry gun.

Now my dilemma. I bought a PT1911 and I have been caught in the spell. THIS is the gun that J.M. Browning would have evolved with this gun. It is accurate and reliable, but it is heavy with a long barrel and grip. I would love to carry this gun. It feels nice in my hand and it is an extension of my hand shooting. It handles the recoil and keeps on coming.

Now... the PT145 is THE CCW. But I'd love to magically find a way to remove 16 oz of weight and 1.5" of length, but until Taurus makes one that I can afford (yes, Kimber makes nice looking carry versions, but dog gone are the proud of them) I am at an impasse.

Have you found the perfect PT1911 holster... or just go ahead an confirm what my brain is telling me... carry the PT145 and enjoy it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A couple hours ago I posted up some info about my new holster for my PT1911 here.

For a guy who is heavy set, this holster is pretty nice. I can wear a light shirt over my gun and it would be hard for someone to detect the carry unless they already have an eye out for such things. With a coat on (here in Seattle that is most of the time!) nobody would detect my PT1911.

It is also comfortable for me. In fact, I drove around in my Jeep with the 1911 holstered and was quite comfortable.

YMMV :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I was content with my Milt Sparks Watch-Six for my Kimber (full size). It carried and concealed well. Now, I've gotten lazy and it wouldn't work quite as well. The small autos (Mil-Pro or XDSC) are just so much easier.

Steelheart

·
Registered
846 Posts
Cimarron,
Where do prefer to carry it? hip, shoulder, small of back? all make a difference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cimmaron: Have you found a holster yet???? If you would like to try a very nice OWB rig PM me with a Address and I'll send you one to try out for awhile. I have carried several full size 1911's in this one and you soon forget it's there.
Tom

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have found a good middle of the back holster for the PT's it is streatch nylon and velcro, gun fits horz., grip up in spine area, fully adjustable, for the size you are. Comes in s m & l.
I got one at the gun show when I got the new PT140, I love it, as has been posted it takes a bit of gettin used to in truck, but walkin and standin up is great.
These are made by a man and his wife they have a web site if you want it.
I paid $24.00 out the door. You can bring it around to your front, handle goes down then.
It molds itself to your gun, fits great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can definitely carry a full size 1911 with the right quality holster and belt. I have a IWB from AKJ Concealco under a loose button-up tshirt, or a Mernickle PS6 OWB under a light jacket. Of course there are other factors like your wardrobe and body shape & size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts