Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got experience and/or knowledge about the legal issues of carrying a gun in an RV? I'm not really interested in having a concealed carry permit, but do I need one for my traveling? What I really want to do is take my gun with me when I travel across various states so that when I'm in remote areas, and where the local laws allow, I can openly carry my revolver in a holster and have it available should I meet some big cat or other unfriendly critter. Anyone know the answer to this or can you point me to a place to find the answer?

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is going to vary state to state. You will have to google transporting firearms state by state.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, darbo. Looking at the site and the many variations of laws and permits, it seems that moving a gun around the country is one situation when federalism is a nuisance.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
My father in law is in an interesting situation, he sold his house after my mother-in-law died and he
bought a large RV he now travels around in, living out of it most of the time. He has decided to do a
lot of traveling and since his RV is what he lives in most of the time now, would the rules be different
for him since that is his residence?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Anyone got experience and/or knowledge about the legal issues of carrying a gun in an RV? I'm not really interested in having a concealed carry permit, but do I need one for my traveling? What I really want to do is take my gun with me when I travel across various states so that when I'm in remote areas, and where the local laws allow, I can openly carry my revolver in a holster and have it available should I meet some big cat or other unfriendly critter. Anyone know the answer to this or can you point me to a place to find the answer?
I hope you get this figured out. My only advice it to make sure you fully understand every statute in every state you'll be traveling in.

I can see this potentially getting complicated in a hurry. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
In MO the Castle Doctorine applies to home and vehicle - that's one state...

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, gbusmech! That is one super website. Easy to use and clear. I suppose it is potentially risky to rely on information from a website, but some are clearly better than others and this one seems good.

I went back and looked at the site again, visiting other sections and found lots of really helpful information and advice. I'm bookmarking that site!

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
My father in law is in an interesting situation, he sold his house after my mother-in-law died and he
bought a large RV he now travels around in, living out of it most of the time. He has decided to do a
lot of traveling and since his RV is what he lives in most of the time now, would the rules be different
for him since that is his residence?
I think you will get into a legal battle between Residence and Resident of the state. There is a book out that does address the matter of firearm carry in an RV, I haven't however read the book. Best suggestion I could give is to check the firearms regulations for travel and carry for each state you plan to cross the state line into. And to this often as the laws have changed in the past and are bound to be doing so in the near future with all that is going on.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My advise to you would be to go and get your carry permit. This would simplify many potential issues.
For one, in the state that you reside, and in those other states that have reciprosity with your state, you would be able to carry a loaded gun in your RV. If you do not have your carry permit, then it appears that you could only carry your weapon, unloaded and in a seperate secure location away from your ammo. I believe the same rules of transport in a car would apply to an RV.

Also, Google "RV travel with a hand gun" you can obtain many sites with useful info from there.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I would use the couple online sources mentioned and then make a point of checking with each state’s website to confirm the information. I would also look to see if I could find a state specific concealed carry forum for each state you plan on passing through, they are usually a good source to find links to state statutes for that state.

Another thing to keep in mind is self defense inside the RV, those walls are very thin, and a bullet could easily pass through the wall and end up somewhere unintended.

Have fun, some day I would like to take an RV and cruise around for a few months with no intended travel plan. Seems like a great way to see the country at your own pace.

Reactions: darbo and ncfarmer

·
Registered
97 Posts
My wife and I full-time RV'd for over 10 years and visited about 30 different states, including 2 that were totally gun-unfriendly. However, that RV was our home (or castle, if you will) and we always had firearms in the RV and another in the tow vehicle. At that time, we did not have a CHL, but didn't worry about it. For a law officer to have a reason to search our RV, we would have to have done something illegal, or at least appear to have done something illegal, which we have never done. We never had a problem. We were never stopped for a traffic ticket, but if we had been I wouldn't have worried about it. Granted, we did not go to Canada or Mexico armed, because that would have been asking for trouble. This practice may or may not have been legal in all states, but I feel that the Constitution trumps the state laws. I know, I know -- that's just my opinion, but I've not had problems.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to hear you made it through 10 years without any hassle, bootsdeal. I suspect it will get more "iffy" over the next few years so I like having resources to check to avoid the obvious "unfriendly" places.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone got experience and/or knowledge about the legal issues of carrying a gun in an RV? I'm not really interested in having a concealed carry permit, but do I need one for my traveling?....
Well first you will need a concealed carry permit, Because as soon as you carry your wepon in a vehicle it becomes a concealed weapon...Then you should check out the reciprocity map...IMHO, dont do it without a permit from your state first...

·
Super Moderator
20,009 Posts
Actually, I disagree with the concealed weapon as soon as it is in your vehicle. In Georgia, like many others have commented upon, your vehicle is treated like an extension of your home and you do not require a permit to carry in your vehicle - only if you decide to exit the vehicle and carry the weapon. I would check into your local laws, though, as well as travelling state to state. You mention not wanting to pursue a carry permit - any particular reason why? if your state requires some type of classes, that might be a good launching point for finding out more about carry in other states, etc. Most states will treat your vehicle as an extension of your home (castle) but they may vary from state to state as to if you are required to carry the gun and ammo separately, secured in a locked or lockable space (eg., glovebox, etc) so worthwhile to brush up on those.

Personally, I travel quite extensively though out the southeast and just about all the states reciprocate Georgia - the are a few which don't but . . . . lets just leave it at that.

Safe travels,

d

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... You mention not wanting to pursue a carry permit - any particular reason why?
Good question, and I've asked it of myself! First, my primary purpose in securing a gun is to have some self defense when I'm out hiking in wilderness areas and I don't see any need to conceal in that context. Second I really don't think I'm the kind of guy to cc in my normal daily routines when not on the road. And third, the gun I bought, a Tracker 627 .357 mag revolver is kind of on the edge size-wize of whether it's even concealable. So my first reaction to the idea of getting a ccw permit was, "Why bother?" But the more I've thought about it and reflected on a couple of suggestions made by others here I'm leaning now toward getting the permit just to expand my options and perhaps eliminate "issues" in certain states.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are a few sites that will provide you with some good information regarding your question.
You can also obtain state specific rules and reguations. I would also validate that these are the latest laws for that state.

Gun Laws and Travel Guide

Gun Laws and Travel Guide

Gun Travel: Is your RV a Vehicle or a Residence?

Rob
Thanks, Rob, those are helpful links. And again they reinforce the reality that it is extremely difficult to travel in some areas with a gun and conform to individual state laws.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am am RV owner and recently, it has happened where law enforcement has done done interor inspections of RV's along interstate highways. I can't remember now where it was, but I-75 in Tennessee seems to ring a bell. Not sure if you can refuse an inspection. Probably depends on the state and what their laws are. This type of inspection is also done to motorcycle riders. The AMA-American Motorcycle Assn.- has opposed the inspections and initiated laws to prevent this. In that case, signs on the interstate instructed bike riders to pull off into an inspection area. Your papers please, komrade! I'm just sayin'.

Rick in Ohio

1 - 20 of 21 Posts