Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured this was enough different from the "Hot or Not" thread to warrant a new thread.

I've read pages and pages of arguments for and against carrying "Hot" on this forum and several others. I believe it's a decision everyone must make for themselves and I have made mine. I have a PT709 and I have been carrying condition 1 with the manual safety engaged, I have been practicing disengaging the safety when drawing and engaging the safety when holstering so that it's almost second nature now. I feel comfortable with the triple combination of trigger safety, firing pin block, and manual safety.

Now I just have a question to put my mind at ease.

Are there any negative effects to the firing pin spring to always be carrying it in a ready to strike position? Weakened spring, breakage, etc.? I do not want to cause damage to my gun by carrying it always cocked.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
From what others are saying on here:
Springs wear out from movement from one position to another.
Not from sitting in the compressed mode for long periods of time.

I too thought that sitting compressed weakened the spring. Mainly from my experience with pick up trucks. It seemed that the trucks that carried the most weight sat the lowest when empty. But I guess my perceptions were wrong.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
From what others are saying on here:
I too thought that sitting compressed weakened the spring. Mainly from my experience with pick up trucks. It seemed that the trucks that carried the most weight sat the lowest when empty. But I guess my perceptions were wrong.
The trucks that carry the most weight should sit lower. You are not considering the suspension travel that occurs when the truck is moving. More weight = longer suspension travel that repeats more often.

Storing a spring in a compressed state should not weaken it. But storing one in a state of tension could. Just a quick physics lesson for the day!;)

Reactions: Waltherfan01

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Reactions: Sgood1971

·
Registered
239 Posts
I too thought that sitting compressed weakened the spring. Mainly from my experience with pick up trucks.
What always goes through my mind is that I, too, have read that compressed springs won't wear as much as constant loading and unloading the springs. But .... when magazines are tough to load, fully loading the mags and letting them sit for a time is generally recommended (and works!) to relieve the springs and make the mags easier to load. Go figure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything you wanted to know about springs, but were afraid to ask. LOL

Mechanical-Spring-Failure-Modes
There were actually words in this article that I understood :D

Seriously though, thanks for the link. According to that, static spring are susceptible to Load Loss, Creep, Set, and Yield but it's not likely in any but long term scenarios.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
There were actually words in this article that I understood :D

Seriously though, thanks for the link. According to that, static spring are susceptible to Load Loss, Creep, Set, and Yield but it's not likely in any but long term scenarios.
Yes, springs have a life span same as humans. In this case, unlike humans, a static spring will last longer than a dynamic or high cycling spring. LOL

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

When you carry, carry hot. When it sits on the nightstand, unload the chamber and drop the striker. That's what I do with my Glocks.

My Taurus is a PT 845 that is DA/SA so it's "normal" carry is safety off, hammer down in DA mode.

Some of the newbies that I know freak out about carrying a Glock with a loaded chamber but I remind them that it will not go off by accident and I never put my finger on trigger until I'm ready to shot.

Pretty simple and safe.

Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Howdy,

When you carry, carry hot. When it sits on the nightstand, unload the chamber and drop the striker. That's what I do with my Glocks.

My Taurus is a PT 845 that is DA/SA so it's "normal" carry is safety off, hammer down in DA mode.

Some of the newbies that I know freak out about carrying a Glock with a loaded chamber but I remind them that it will not go off by accident and I never put my finger on trigger until I'm ready to shot.

Pretty simple and safe.

Paul
I wish the 709 could be decocked since it's SA/DA as well. I am carrying hot. Mainly just wanted to reply to say the Spyder linked in your sig looks like one amazing project and I'm a little jealous :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts