Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that carry:

(I'm adjusting my EDC to suit CC of a firearm)

I've always carried a blade- these days it's a Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara (I've discovered the amazingly-sharp hollow-grind/chisel-grind combo only recently). I'm right handed, so have always carried my blade clipped to the right pocket. As I understand it, this is what Ayoob suggests.

It seems to me that there is cause for a backup blade as well, or at least reason to move the blade to weak side. Example: consider a gun grab- first thing I'm doing is getting my hand on the weapon and holding it down into the holster with all my might, and backing into the attacker while turning around. This seems like it'd be an excellent time to draw a blade offside and slice the assailant's arm if he's not got the hint yet.

Of course I certainly hope never to have to use either my sidearm or my blade for anything more serious than target practice or cutting apples. But it seems like a blade would be better off in the weak hand in an emergency, just like a flashlight would be. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
If you don't have a left handed blade you can draw a right handed knife from your left pocket by turning your fingers inward with the thumb on the outside and rotating the blade into position it takes practice but works. I learned it from Ernest Emersons website he's one of the best bademen around.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
How big a knife do you carry, TaurusJeeper? I've carried a knife in my pocket since Jr. High School (yes, that shows you how old I am, in this day of PC) but never as anything more than a handy tool for cutting open a box or envelope.....but I do carry them with the back-of-mind thinking that it could serve as some kind of last ditch self defense effort. I haven't carried anything but lock blades since High School, and when they started coming out with the one-hand flip-open style, I was hooked. So I typically carry a smallish Spyderco knife that is probably 4 1/2 to 5 inches long when opened....anything bigger than this and it starts printing big-time.

Funny story - took 2 of my boys to a AA ballgame a couple of years ago, and they wanded me on the way in. They wanted me to empty my pockets, and when they saw my knife, the same Spyderco, they told me I could pick it up after the game was over. I dubiously handed it over to them to keep (I did get the knife back, amazingly), then we walked several yards, and then my older son pulled out his lockblade from HIS pocket and said "well, what about this one?" I laughed my a#% off and told him to pocket it before somebody saw it.........they didn't even bother to wand HIM.......

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a left handed blade. This was not the question, though. :)

45 Forever said:
If you don't have a left handed blade you can draw a right handed knife from your left pocket by turning your fingers inward with the thumb on the outside and rotating the blade into position it takes practice but works. I learned it from Ernest Emersons website he's one of the best bademen around.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I carry a 3" Cold Steel lock blade on my left side and a Leatherman Wave on my right. The Wave has blades you can open without opening the whole thing and they lock.

Steelheart

·
Registered
280 Posts
I carry a 3" CRKT in my left pocket that opens very fast and easy with the flick of the wrist. It is comfortable and makes it easy to get to.

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
Sorry Just trying to help, they also make a new fixed bade thats only 2in thats designed to strike for a gun grab. It has a angled blade. I am mostly a blade man. For medical reasons I don't carry a gun but am offten found with 2 to 3 vary dangerous knives. and agree with weak hand carry for your reasons :)

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
I'll try and find the website and post it for you its around $39 and is real easy to use I should have it for you in a short

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
Thats the one NYPD thank you I seen it at a gun show and was really impressed it feels great an seems easy to carry. I could'nt get an answer of if it was leagle for non LEO so I didn't buy it but whished I would have.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm now looing at possibly replacing my offside folder with the TDI Law Enforcement knife. How easy is it to conceal without a duty belt? I see it's designed to be used under a duty belt, I don't wear one as I'm not an officer. It would be nice to be able to figure a way to hide it behind my cellphone holster...

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
If you place it right behind your cell phone the handle lays right on top and is hardley noticed just carry your cell phone sideways on your belt it fits my 1 1/2" in belt perfectly :)

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
Its a regular belt slide with the belt covering the blade and most of the knife

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts

·
Administrator
39,352 Posts
I've never given knives a lot of thought. There's always just been one in my pocket since I was six or seven years old. Keep a 3 1/2 inch lock blade knife in the pocket these days. I've always known that it was there if I ever needed it for uses other than whittlin'. So I guess that qualifies me as carryin' blades with firearms. :angel:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I generally have a pocket knife of some sort on me. I used to carry my 3" Cabelas folder (functional, but not especially tacticool) clipped inside my strong-side front pocket. I would move it to my weak-side (left-which is actually my dominant hand-but that's another story) when carrying my M85 in my strong side (right) front pocket. I now keep it there because I feel I would be more likely to need fast access to it with my off hand, for the reasons stated in the OP and others. I try to keep everything in the same place in case I'm in a situation where my brain is not able to spend it's energies remembering where I put everything today.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed, Dave.

Now-- how many of you carry a light as well?

I carry a Rayovac (Don't laugh, it's BRIGHT!) 3W LED in the weak-side pocket, along with a second knife. This makes this pocket basically out of action in terms of carry stuff inside. I would carry the light on the belt, but already have the phone and multitool there. All this stuff is used daily, so it can't be left. :(

·
Administrator
39,352 Posts
Arright, .380 in right front pocket. 3 1/2" lock blade knife in left front pocket. PT145 @ 4:00 o'clock IWB. Cell phone (leash), keys, wallet, hankie and change. I think if I add a light and anymore stuff I'll need Batman's utility belt. :drool:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts