Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be carrying my new M405 stowed in my vehicle (legal in Texas) either in the center console or in my "get home bag" in the crew cab area - It will be loaded - sitting on an empty chamber - secured in a holster. My question is how to carry enough ammo for a few reloads if necessary. I've got a 100rd box I could put in there but that is bulky and hope I never need that many while on the road :eek:, or maybe some loose rounds in a baggie, not sure of best way to do so. Would love to hear some advise or suggestions, please.

Thanks!
Daf

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I would pick up a couple speed loaders. Why have an empty chamber on a modern firearm?

Edit: I see it is a .40 using clips, just have a couple loaded up and ready to go.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Load up the clips that should have came with it, it should give you at least 20 rounds to reload with. The gun will fire just fine with just five rounds loaded without the clips, and since it's DA/SA you shouldn't have to worry about it going off without the transfer bar being pushed into place from a trigger pull. Brass falls out of mine really easy, so it's not too big a deal to dump and drop in a fresh five rounds. I wouldn't bother with the empty chamber personally, maybe if it was a 9 shot revolver. But seeing as how it's only a five shot revolver, I would personally hate to be one round short from the start. Another solution if you feel you need more than 25 rounds ready to go is to just use an empty tray of whatever size you can find. since most SD ammo comes in 20 round trays, they're small enough to tuck away just about anywhere.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
I would pick up a couple speed loaders. Why have an empty chamber on a modern firearm?

Edit: I see it is a .40 using clips, just have a couple loaded up and ready to go.
exactly. There are speed loader pouches available at reasonable prices($10 for a double on first glance) as well!

Reactions: Old_Sp5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Load up the moon (Stellar) clips and get some pouches - that sounds good. I didn't realize there were pouches for that - thanks! I went out this morning and shot with and without the clips and both methods are fine with me. The clips are bit tough to load and unload but they may loosen up with use.

Okay - about the empty chamber. This is my first revolver that is not an CAS piece. I had always been taught to carry, or store, with the hammer on an empty chamber. I plead ignorance with the modern revolvers if that is not the case? I'm also a bit taken aback by the lack of a safety on these guns. I guess I was making my own safety. :)
So a sudden jar or bump won't fire a round?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!
Daf

·
Registered
373 Posts
So a sudden jar or bump won't fire a round?
Without the transfer bar in the up position there is no way the hammer can connect with the firing pin. Unload your gun and cock it back and hold the hammer with your thumb. As you pull the trigger look where the hammer strikes and you will see the bar raise up. That bar allows the hammer to push the firing pin into the primer. It would be near impossible for the gun to fire with a bump or jar. Reason I went to carrying my model 85 is because I never liked the idea of a auto with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Without the transfer bar in the up position there is no way the hammer can connect with the firing pin. Unload your gun and cock it back and hold the hammer with your thumb. As you pull the trigger look where the hammer strikes and you will see the bar raise up. That bar allows the hammer to push the firing pin into the primer. It would be near impossible for the gun to fire with a bump or jar. Reason I went to carrying my model 85 is because I never liked the idea of a auto with one in the chamber.

I'll play devil's advocate here. What do you feel is wrong and/or unsafe with a chambered round in an auto?

I'm not taking a position one way or the other; whatever is personally comfortable is the way to go but I am just curious.

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
The 405 should have a transfer bar that will prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin if the trigger is not pulled.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate here. What do you feel is wrong and/or unsafe with a chambered round in an auto?

I'm not taking a position one way or the other; whatever is personally comfortable is the way to go but I am just curious.
Just never felt comfortable...just me but that is how I feel. I had a PT709 but I just like seeing a hammer so sold it traded it for a PT809. To each their own. Just carry is all I say.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Just never felt comfortable...just me but that is how I feel. I had a PT709 but I just like seeing a hammer so sold it traded it for a PT809. To each their own. Just carry is all I say.
That's good enough. It all comes down to personal choice.

Reactions: FZ1

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Just for future reference on those stellar clips, you can adjust them with a flathead screwdriver on those slots between the rounds. They never truly loosen up, but I know if you load up Winchester White Box target ammo in them, then try to load Federal HydraShok's, the Federals will fall right out the clips. Hence the adjustment slots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.