Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as spring/summer/fall is upon us - and the both of us have been working for almost 2 years without a break - we are thinking of a vacation.

Thinking of running across ND in to MT and checking out Yellowstone and all the other places. Then heading back in to SD and going through Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore and possibly even Devils Tower in WY. Not quite sure of the itinerary just yet. But what I am certain of is taking along my PT111 or BT380 (or a new pocket pistol!) for the 10 days on the road.

I am a MN resident; and have a valid MN permit. Now, I know that my permit is not valid in ND (my office is in Fargo) and I face this on a daily basis. However, the reciprocity is valid (as of today) in the other states. I was wondering if anyone carries in to other states and what their experiences have been with with LEOs in these situations? And for you MT residents - what is a wildlife management area? The app on my tablet says, cannot carry in to Wildlife Management Areas.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Don't do anything illeagal and you should never find out what an out of state LEO experience is like. I've carried across state lines for years and have had 0 encounters.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Looks like your permit is valid in AK, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NE, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT, VA, VT, WI, and WY.

As for crossing into other states, regardless of whether or not they have CCW reciprocity with your state, you must obey all gun laws of that state, or you could end up with a charge that gets your CCW, and perhaps your right to own firearms at all, revoked.

Carrying in Wildlife Management Areas is state by state... some allow it, others don't; you'll need to check each state you plan to visit.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Educate yourself on the firearms/concealed carry laws of states you plan to travel in and then obey them. You won't have any problems.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
A good source of information is Handgunlaw.us.

Based on this, your permit is not valid in North Dakota and you may not carry concealed there. They will also have laws outlined so you are up-to-date on where you can and cannot carry your weapon in the State that honors your permit.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
And if you come too South Dakota, you had better look me up.
Can take you shooting, possibly show you and the misses around.:)

Reactions: shiftace

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
An updated list of states with reciprocity with Texas is available from the DPS (state police agency) at:
TxDPS - CHL Agreements with Other States

There currently is no reciprocity between MN and TX.

ONLY SPEAKING FOR MYSELF, and NOT in any official position, if I ever "professionally" encountered someone who has not otherwise broken a law, and they have a CHL from a non reciprocity state, after a quick license and warrant check (required), if that person is otherwise "clean", then I wish them a nice day and safe trip.

In most states, officers have discretion on how to handle such cases.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
A good source of information is Handgunlaw.us.

Based on this, your permit is not valid in North Dakota and you may not carry concealed there. They will also have laws outlined so you are up-to-date on where you can and cannot carry your weapon in the State that honors your permit.
I've got that site bookmarked and I consult it every time I take a trip. So far, the only state I worry aout crossing into is Illinois. I don't wear gun shirts and I don't have any type of gun stickers on my car. I want to make sure that I don't attract any attention or get profiled. I also don't speed. That's the fastst way to get stopped.

Reactions: shiftace

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm in Florida
My summer drives are to Charlotte NC and New Orleans.
My Fla CCW is good in every state.

Here's the problem. Some LEO's don't have a clue.
"son this here is a Florida permit and this is Mississippi" Had that one.
Had it in South Carolina too.

Usually I ask them to check with their supervisor and that's that.
But I have been in the back of the cruiser wearing jewelry until it got figured out.

It's not that you know you're legal , it's does the LEO.

AFS

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Florida
My summer drives are to Charlotte NC and New Orleans.
My Fla CCW is good in every state.

Here's the problem. Some LEO's don't have a clue.
"son this here is a Florida permit and this is Mississippi" Had that one.
Had it in South Carolina too.

Usually I ask them to check with their supervisor and that's that.
But I have been in the back of the cruiser wearing jewelry until it got figured out.

It's not that you know you're legal , it's does the LEO.

AFS
This was my major concern. LEO who are not familiar with the reciprocity. My office is in ND, so I usually leave home without packing anything. I should apply for a FL non-resident permit, which is valid in ND.

I will be exercising extreme caution on this trip. I've got the laws and such bookmarked. But, we are a good 3 months away from this trip. Who knows what will change between now and then.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Assuming you are stopped in a state where you are covered:
It might be a good idea to carry a computer printout showing which states your primary permit is good for.
Then an additional printout showing the states your non resident permit gives you.

In most cases the officer would likely think that if you went to that much trouble to bring proof that . .
a. You are most likely correct.
b. You not the run of the mill gangbanger.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
An updated list of states with reciprocity with Texas is available from the DPS (state police agency) at:
TxDPS - CHL Agreements with Other States

There currently is no reciprocity between MN and TX.

ONLY SPEAKING FOR MYSELF, and NOT in any official position, if I ever "professionally" encountered someone who has not otherwise broken a law, and they have a CHL from a non reciprocity state, after a quick license and warrant check (required), if that person is otherwise "clean", then I wish them a nice day and safe trip.

In most states, officers have discretion on how to handle such cases.
Thank you for your sensical, evolved thought process. I feel that many LEO's, although well intentioned, act irrationally until the situation is proven safe rather than the other way around. I understand that to be a defensive strategy and they only want to go home at the end of the shift. In my area, guns are not necessarily viewed as much as a tool as a weapon in many peoples' minds unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Every year we travel through various states and I carry in all of them. They all have reciprocity with Texas. I've never been stopped and never had to deal with LEO so the answer to the question is that I don't know. The only time we were stopped in Wyoming, my wife was driving. I was unsure of how to behave so I handed the officer my CCL. She asked me if there was a firearm in the vehicle and where it was. I told her. She asked me to step out of the vehicle until she and my wife were finished with their business and that basically was it. Not a problem. The female trooper handled it very well and professionally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts