Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me be clear, pedals not motor! It's getting about the time again to dig out the mountain bike and hit the trails. I am wondering if anyone out there in TA land does this as well, and, if they do, how do you carry if at all. I could throw something in the Camelbak but that doesn't make for quick access. Last year I just wore cargo shorts and threw the TCP in one of the pockets. That works but, it bounces around and isn't the most comfortable. I am in VT so I can open carry or conceal, I prefer to conceal just to keep the @sshats around here calm and not start yelling "he's got a gun" that doesn't usually end well. Anyway, now that I've rambled on, does anyone have any thoughts or similar experience in carrying while peddaling?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've been thinking about that myself. The candidate for carry is the PT709. I can't see wearing bike shorts with an IWB holster although it might be workable because the 709 is so small and lightweight. OTOH, if you are wearing a cycling jersey, carrying IWB could make it difficult to conceal. I'm not sure how comfortable carrying IWB is while riding bent over on a road bike.

There's always the fanny pack and that would work with a 709 (and a PT1911 too ;D)

Only other option I think of would be some sort of shoulder holster over a black t-shirt with a blaze orange mesh vest over it all for concealment and some sort for ventilation. I have a black shoulder holster from Deep Conceal that I might use to give that idea a try.

Shoulder Holster | Deep Conceal

Carrying on the body is definitely the way to go

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I currently ride with a fanny pack. Not the fastest access but easily taken as "sports" wear. I've been hassled a good bit through the years. Carrying is now a must.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a PT-One concealment holster from Pistolwear.com, and I love it
Just took a look at their site...interesting.

Reactions: mingaa and ice

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just took a look at their site...interesting.
Definitely interesting, wonder how that would feel riding. I'm not to concerned as most of my riding is in the woods and trails. There are a couple of trails where the less than desirables like to hang and drink their thunderbird, pretty sure you could just push them over but you never know. My 9 year old son has started joining me on longer rides so I have to be sure he is safe as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Having worked in a bike shop for two years i will tell you what i saw. Most common is under seat bag. Cab carry whatever size firearm depending on how big the bag is. But not easy to access. The one i like is the "bento box". More common on road bikes but attach to the top tube and secure to seatpost or steerer. Easy access but can only hold small weapon. Lastly, jersey carry. To me, it bounces a lot and would get corroded with sweat

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I wear cut-off jeans so I just put my LCP in an Uncle George in my hip pocket. Can't see it and easy to get to.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a carry fanny pack and a PT-ONE I'm going to try out this summer. I haven't had the opportunity to try them other than a test fit yet, so I don't know which will be better.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Since no option short of open carry, allows super quick access.
Why not a zippered camera bag attached to the belt on your hip?

When I vacation I have the full size camera with extra batteries, charger and cable in one, on my hip. No biggie.
Plus they have tons of sizes and shapes at WW and camera places. Cheap and get it today.

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
I see the TCP and Bull Dog holster/pouch coming in handy here.

Reactions: Raptorboy69

·
Registered
179 Posts
Subscribing to this thread for the ideas. The best I have come up with is an ankle holster and that isn't very concealed when riding. Plus my ankles and shins take on lots of muck riding trails around here. Am not a fan of the bike mounted solutions as rider and bike can become quite separated in some situations.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well I started riding my bike regularly last summer, and just recently bought the pistol that I would carry and have been thinking about this since I plan on doing a lot of the rails to trails rides here in central and southwestern PA. One of the things I have seen in the bike shops is bike shorts that are also the cargo type shorts., so they have a big pocket that would accommodate my pistol easily, I was wondering a little about sweat but with keeping the gun in a holster sweat should be less of a problem. I am glad someone started this thread as I have started to think about this as the weather in PA starts to warm up.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Sure but how can you bike without looking like you're on a race team?
Some of us do wear the gear - bike bibs, shoes, clip in pedals, etc. if you wear the right kind of gloves they can double as cool/cold weather shooting gloves. It stems from, erm, being on a bike team ( years ago). :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also checking out the ideas. When I carry on the bike, I typically let it ride in the fanny pack and put up with the reduced access speed. Though the pack I use (an old, inexpensive one) is easy to slide around, so a maneuver I've practiced a little is sliding it around to the front, grabbing and yanking the zipper, and reaching in. There is a small pocket on the pack's back wall where I put the pistol. This is not much slower than drawing from deep concealment. I'm typically in bike shorts or tights, and the jersey is not that loose, so a worn holster might be a little harder for me to hide. I might try it one day, though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You can still wear gloves with jean shorts. My humor stems from the countless people I see that are no where near pro but need to dress like the post office is sponsoring them. The cut offs are simple but valid because there are plenty of choices for what to wear under them. Just poking a little fun at the riders that think looks are as important as the activity. It really amuses me in offroad powersports.

Reactions: smithlock

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You can still wear gloves with jean shorts. My humor stems from the countless people I see that are no where near pro but need to dress like the post office is sponsoring them. The cut offs are simple but valid because there are plenty of choices for what to wear under them. Just poking a little fun at the riders that think looks are as important as the activity. It really amuses me in offroad powersports.
Yep. No one needs a $5000 carbon fiber frame bike UNTIL they know WHY they need. $5000 carbon fiber frame ride!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.