Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37,343 Posts
I love my Micro 9 and have an Alien Gear IWB holster for it. It's lighter weight doesn't want to "pants" me as much.
yep!
I carry a SIG 365 in an alien gear and its comfortable and doesn't tug on the pants, also carry my CZ P-01 in the same setup except a different shell.
course i don't really have a weight issue being 5 11 and 180 pounds and i don't have a really bad back, although at 74 is anyones back really good?
anyway sounds like the perfect answer for you is to obtain a GUN BEARER like i have for my shotgun shooting, Godfrey also drives me places ad keeps the Rolls polished really nice..

·
Registered
30,008 Posts
thanks for all the replies. I might have to make the micro 9 my EDC because I like the pocket idea, Love my wheel guns, always have I still have a model 10 I've had for over 30 years, but the 9 is a lot lighter.
If you want a wheel gun, the Taurus M85 is pretty slim and light for a revolver. I have one and carry it a lot in the summer. It's even lighter and smaller than my 605 poly.

Reactions: grayman and Keith99

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah I destroyed my back in a car accident back in the 80's. They talked me into operating on it a few years ago and didn't help at all. All my pants and shorts are elastic. Being 70 doesn't help either.

TexasAviator
I'll have to check out the 85. I have a 856 and a poly 605 but always room for another gun.

·
Registered
30,008 Posts
Reactions: grayman and Keith99

·
Registered
229 Posts
A little background first. I'm VERY old, have a bad lower back from an accident years ago and VERY overweight. I just started concealed carry about a year and a half ago. I'm having trouble finding an option that doesn't pull my pants down or kill my back. I have a couple good belts, a KORE and a GROOVE LIFE but still have the problem. My preferred carry is a 605 or 856 but also carry a Micro 9 or a M&P2.0 4". Living in central Arizona doesn't leave a lot of options for concealed carry so I do IWB. I have changed from a single clip type holster to a wider spread double hook and that helps but still could be a lot better. So, what would be a good suggestion on a better setup?
Thanks
Keith
good suspenders worn UNDER the shirt-and IWB- I wear shirt tail out..us round bellys have limited choices compared to the flat bellys ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may want to consider appendix carry with suspenders and Ulticlips. The Ulticlips attach to your pants and not your belt.

I have found that appendix puts less stress on my back than strong-side carry. My current favorite holster is a Tier1 Concealed Axis Elite, which is very comfortable. But I don't know how it would work with your weight issue.

Lee
(68 and former resident of Chandler, AZ -- I understand the heat!)

I should also have added the the one I have is an ultralite
A little background first. I'm VERY old, have a bad lower back from an accident years ago and VERY overweight. I just started concealed carry about a year and a half ago. I'm having trouble finding an option that doesn't pull my pants down or kill my back. I have a couple good belts, a KORE and a GROOVE LIFE but still have the problem. My preferred carry is a 605 or 856 but also carry a Micro 9 or a M&P2.0 4". Living in central Arizona doesn't leave a lot of options for concealed carry so I do IWB. I have changed from a single clip type holster to a wider spread double hook and that helps but still could be a lot better. So, what would be a good suggestion on a better setup?
Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can identify with the round belly. Have wondered about suspenders under the shirt as I very seldom wear an outer shirt.

My son runs the Tier 1 and likes it but I don't think appendix is for me.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I like my G2C 40 in a Alabama pocket holster, I have a Alabama for my XDS40 or 45 also. Suspenders do help keep the belt in place no matter how you carry. I like six shot revolvers for carry so I have two Colt Detective Special's and they are all steel, so heavy for a snubby. Lighter I have a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum, a potent round.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am also in AZ so I think the heat reference is that we typically don't need a jacket that might aid in concealment.

I pocket carry a PT111G2 in cargo pants with a Desantis Nemisis holster. Works for me and is very well concealed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Keith, looks like we're in the same boat. I'm 68, live in San Tan Valley, could stand to lose 30 or 40 lbs and my back gets worse by the day. Looks like you got some pretty good responses so I won't try to reinvent the wheel. I will say those Stickys (and the Remoras, too) are an amazing little holster. I started using a pair of Remora "Gen II", one revolver and one semi-auto, as kind of a "last resort" not long ago and I must say that all the way up to a S&W 3913 (the single-stack, 8-round 9mm, largest gun I've tried it with) it keeps the gun right where I put it anywhere in my waistband. I've even used the revolver version for pocketing a S&W 640 and a 638 with great results. Hang in there, Brother, and if you still need more suggestions let me know - I have easily 100+ holsters here and I've tried them all over 40+ years of carrying. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!
Gerry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just want to add to this. I have tried the suspenders under the shirt. Problem is that having suspenders against your skin is really annoying. I can't do that for very long. What I have found is that pocket carry is the best option for us heavier guys. However, the thing you will have to deal with is the possiblity that you won't be able to draw nearly as quickly than if it is on your hip. Belly bands don't work that well for us because our bodies when sitting will cause the band to shift and the gun to start printing pretty badly.

I do still carry at the 4 o'clock position and just deal with my pants wanting to sag, so I have to make sure my belt is snug and just pull up my pants when necessary.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
I carry Sig P365 in an Alabama Holsters Pocket Holster. It Carrys very easily with a 12 rd mag. It’s so light you’ll forget it’s there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just want to add to this. I have tried the suspenders under the shirt. Problem is that having suspenders against your skin is really annoying. I can't do that for very long. What I have found is that pocket carry is the best option for us heavier guys. However, the thing you will have to deal with is the possiblity that you won't be able to draw nearly as quickly than if it is on your hip. Belly bands don't work that well for us because our bodies when sitting will cause the band to shift and the gun to start printing pretty badly.

I do still carry at the 4 o'clock position and just deal with my pants wanting to sag, so I have to make sure my belt is snug and just pull up my pants when necessary.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been carrying my Micro 9 in my pocket and it seems to do good.

·
Registered
37,343 Posts
I carry Sig P365 in an Alabama Holsters Pocket Holster. It Carrys very easily with a 12 rd mag. It’s so light you’ll forget it’s there.

Interesting!
a lot has to do with what type pants that you wear, I am a 99% Blue jeans guy and at 180 and 5 -10 there is NO WAY that my 365 will fit in the pocket, much less come out IF i need it.
now my cargo shorts I can fit a AR -15 with extended mag in the pocket of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is another option. It is a Kore Essentials gun belt and Raw Dog covert holster. I realize you feel like your pants may sag with this set up, but i have found so far that although using this belt and holster is not perfect, it does not sag nearly as much as I thought. The belt is pretty sturdy and stays in place most of the time. I just need to make sure and keep it tight while walking. When I sit down I can loosen it s bit.
White Light Black Textile Sleeve

·
Registered
Many....
14 Posts
@Keith99

I live in the valley.

During summer I wear a poly t-shirt under a button down Hawaiian or poly button down “fishing shirt”.

I carry everything from G43 to G17 IWB between 2:30-4:30 position.

The definite answer is suspenders. I ordered a set off Amazon, and those paired along with a good stiff belt made specifically for carrying is the magic combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
hThanks Ginso and Noshoot. I have a Kore belt I used to wear all the time and it worked good but would hurt my back when tight enough to hold the pistol. I may have to go suspenders but pocket is working for now.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts