Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am posting in the correct section. I am looking for a carry knife. Since I am in FL and will have my CWL in a week or two, I am looking at some automatic knives. My GF has a beautiful Benchmade 9101BK Auto Stryker Knife, Black Tanto Blade, but I really don't see the need to spend 200+ dollars. I think $80.00 would be enough for me. Would love to read some comments. Of course my primary weapon is a PT 140. I suppose my backup could be my GF with her .38 snubbie and her benchmade. I could push her in front of me if I run out of ammo and yell "stab the bas****! with your pig sticker!!!" ... But it really doesn't sound manly. I suppose instead of BUG I could create a new acronym of BUGF (back up girl friend).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...of course, if I cannot take a BG down with 11 rounds means I should not even own a weapon. The main gist is that I am just looking for a cool knife. I think you get the picture :)
... Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
For your price range I'd look at Kershaw Knives. They have the auto open assist mechanism and hold an edge good. They're also easy to get the edge back on.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I have several brands CRKT makes a decent priced knife. Here's a few I own I have more but not any pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I own several of the various Kershaw knives with the Ken Onion Speed Assist Mechanism, and they are great knives. Check out their web-site, as you need to spend some time looking at all of their offerings. I also own several CRKT assisted-openers. The CRKT offerings can be a little more learning-intensive to operate in their approved manner. However, once again, look at the web-site, as they also make a bunch of different models. Their steels are also excellent.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Anything by Cold Steel! I carry a large voyager (4 inch blade) Voyagers : Tanto Point
just make sure you check out the blade limit for your state. They do vary greatly. Just because you may have CCW doesnt make carrying a blade overlimits legal...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree w/btleslie Kershaw, I've been carring Kershaw for 10 yrs. Good edge and easy to keep it with a steel. The only time I've used a stone is when one of my buddies nicks the blade. One of my buddies is hard on a knife a.k.a. screw driver and pry bar. I carry "Oso Sweet 1830" my GF carries "Scallion 1620" costs are $22 and $30 dollars. I love mine just my .02 give them a look you might like.

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Bought my son a SOG Trident assisted opening knife. He swears by it.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson tactical assisted opening knife that I always carry, its very sharp and has a safety. With any assisted opening knife make sure it has a safety, opening up unannounced in your pocket sucks!

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would tell you a few things about knives first. The most important attribute is the metal used in the blade and how it is heat treated. So if you get down to choosing between knives in your price range take the one with the better blade metal first. You can look at a number of places to see what the better blade steels are, but in general I would set my bottom standard at AUS-8 and not even look at knives with lesser steels like AUS-6 or 440C, 420 Stainless, etc.

You also appear to have focused on folders which is a good idea because for some reason they are less aggressive looking to civilians for reasons I don't understand. So for a folder you want to focus first on the locking mechanism and how strong it is and then look at how fast you can deploy it. You don't want any of the old lockback style folders since they are a little on the weak side and liable to close up on your hand when you least can afford it.

Having said all of that, Ken Onion designs a very strong locking, fast deploying knife, just look for good knife steel as most of his designs (by Kershaw and now CKRT) offer the option of top steels. From Kershaw, you might look at the Blur with the S30V blade, the Speed Bump with a Sandvik 13C26 blade. Bottomline is to pick through your price range looking for a secure locking system with good blade steel. Of the 2 mentioned above, the Blur is the better knife due to the S30V blade which is one of the top blade steels. It will feel sharper, be easier to sharpen and hold an edge longer than the Sandvik 13C26, even though the SpeedBump is generally more expensive and just looks wicked.

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is great info and I appreciate it. However, my soon to be wife has learned of my intentions and has limited me to the following choices for my backup in the pic.

knifechoices.jpg

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Since my wife won't let me have a bugf. I carry a SOG knife, and a S&W 442 for back up.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, she doesn't trust you with pointy things, but a pistol is OK?

Also, if that is your soon to be wife's photo, than I hate to be the one to tell you that she is really more into girls.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, she doesn't trust you with pointy things, but a pistol is OK?

Also, if that is your soon to be wife's photo, than I hate to be the one to tell you that she is really more into girls.
No, the photo of Rosie O'Donnell is supposed to be an effective weapon, too.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'll carry three different knives in a rotation.

1. An all black Kershaw Leek (14C28N Sandvik steel) $45-50
2. A Ka-Bar TDI (AUS8 steel) $30
3. A Spyderco Endura full flat ground in VG-10 steel. $55-65

The Spyderco is the longest blade at 4 inches, while the Ka-Bar TDI has one intended purpose---to create space between an attacker and yourself.

·
Premium Member
10,973 Posts
I have several brands CRKT makes a decent priced knife. Here's a few I own I have more but not any pics.
Just got my Bro in law the CRKT Ignitor, for his Bday. Power assist openning was very nice. I had to resist the urge to take in out of the box and play with it. Not a bad knife for $40.

My current collection;

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts