Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm almost paranoid when it comes to keeping the front door locked, and have finally harped enough to the wife about it that she does it too. Mind you, we live in a townhouse development that is pretty quiet and seems safe, but you never know. All this with a large and strong Boxer/Sharpei mix named Lucy that is usually inside because it gets pretty hot down here in South Florida. Interesting article about carrying while inside one's home: Should I Carry My Gun in My Home? - Guns.com I might add that I usually have my 738 in my front pocket, unless I'm getting ready for bed. Then it goes into the nightstand right behind a HiPoint C9....

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Though we live in a very quiet and safe area, my HDW is always close by because we have had several events lately that have me on full alert.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Since you never know where or when crime will strike and 100% of home invasions happen in the home, it is best to have ready access to your defensive weapon.

Yes I carry at home or at least have it right next to me.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Most of the time I usually wear sweat shorts and T's when I'm home, so I don't usually "carry", but I always
have something within reach. Like they say, most home invasions take place in the home.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I'm almost paranoid when it comes to keeping the front door locked, and have finally harped enough to the wife about it that she does it too. Mind you, we live in a townhouse development that is pretty quiet and seems safe, but you never know. All this with a large and strong Boxer/Sharpei mix named Lucy that is usually inside because it gets pretty hot down here in South Florida. Interesting article about carrying while inside one's home: Should I Carry My Gun in My Home? - Guns.com I might add that I usually have my 738 in my front pocket, unless I'm getting ready for bed. Then it goes into the nightstand right behind a HiPoint C9....
You can't be too careful this day and time! Since the rash of break-ins we had in my neighborhood last year,
I have a gun within arm's reach when I am at home now. The doors also stayed locked now, my wife is actually
more careful about that than I am. I have two good size dogs, an elderly German Shepherd who still has a
good bark and presence and a mixed breed that weighs about one hundred pounds. I never feel totally
secure about my surroundings but then again, when someone feels there is not a thing a thing to worry
about is when they are most likely to be caught off guard.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I live in the country and my house sits well off (about 25 yards) a side road that's off a secondary road. I have 300 pounds of dogs in the yard- including 100 pounds of American Bulldog who is not only very particular about who comes near 'his' house but prefers to announce any visitors to the general area and another dog that will bark at anything that moves- including the occasional raindrop. When the dogs bark, we go look to see what they are barking at. Normally, it's a cat or a leaf falling from a tree. On the rare occasion, it's been something more serious. All of my doors and windows are locked and stay that way.

With those facts in mind, I don't carry at home routinely. I just have things 'handy'. Right now, there's a 2" 357 loaded with Remington Multi-ball, a Safarailand Comp II speedloader loaded with 125Gr Gold Dots and a 5 inch fixed blade knife 'handy'. I figure the odds are good that I can make my way to the 1100 I use as a 'house gun' even if I need to make some stops in between for other things that are 'handy'.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
It's not paranoid at all; it's doing the right thing. Because, as you wrote, "you never know".

It's a nice Sunday afternoon and I'm sitting in front of my laptop in shorts and a t-shirt but my PT145 is right beside me on the desk.

None us IMO can be 100% vigilant 100% of the time but we can certainly try as hard as possible.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nowhere are you "safe" and until one stops living in denial of that fact can one adequately be prepared for the "what if" scenerio. I carry in the house and have recently placed firearms (loaded) in strategic locations around our home in the event some home invader decides to burst into the house. My family knows the drill and its just part of our situational awareness. A gun in the nightstand drawer is useless if your downstairs cooking dinner.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Doors always locked, carry gun is always in pocket o where I can just pick it up.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Nowhere are you "safe" and until one stops living in denial of that fact can one adequately be prepared for the "what if" scenerio. I carry in the house and have recently placed firearms (loaded) in strategic locations around our home in the event some home invader decides to burst into the house. My family knows the drill and its just part of our situational awareness. A gun in the nightstand drawer is useless if your downstairs cooking dinner.
I have done the same thing.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I always carry at home, its a matter of my gun always being secure as it is quick access.
As Tommy Theis says, Always Carry Never Tell

·
Super Moderator
27,190 Posts
As some of you may have read on here, we had an incident a couple of weeks back.
We have installed a automatic locking, combination type deadbolt on the front door, locks after 10 seconds.
We have done some other things with the windows and glass doors. As far as guns go....my business not yours!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
As some of you may have read on here, we had an incident a couple of weeks back.
We have installed a automatic locking, combination type deadbolt on the front door, locks after 10 seconds.
We have done some other things with the windows and glass doors. As far as guns go....my business not yours!
But I bet we can take a pretty good guess Rod. ;)

Reactions: gyro_cfi

·
Super Moderator
27,190 Posts
I did have a "hidden" security camera.....but where I hid it, some vandals didnt like and spray painted the whole "plate" it was mounted in.
We also have the new, but tested, CRASS. Worked last time and should the next time!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Your home may feel safe until that one day when someone pushes your front door in and you have to make THE choice --- live or die.

Condition yellow for me at home....always have a handgun within arms reach and a long gun close enough to get to by using my handgun.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Your home may feel safe until that one day when someone pushes your front door in and you have to make THE choice --- live or die.

Condition yellow for me at home....always have a handgun within arms reach and a long gun close enough to get to by using my handgun.
An excellent idea but I still don't have any. Perhaps some day.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I have my PPQ on my person as I sit here reading this thread. I don't live in the nicest of neighborhoods, so I don't want to be caught unprepared.

Reactions: Three Percent
1 - 20 of 83 Posts