Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really never bought a carry pistol i have two full sized 1911's a PT 92, PT 840 and a CZ 85 Combat. For right now I am leaning toward the CZ 85 it is slightly smaller than my other pistols the 840 has a smaller barrel but just feels bulkier. The CZ is also hard to beat as far as accuracy is concerned. It is also very reliable and I have three MecGar Plus two mags for it.
I've thought about buying a new Taurus Commander but I'd rather buy a Colt 38 Super but it will be awhile for that purchase its SS with colts blue grips
I have nice IWB leather holsters for one 1911 9mm RIA and another that fits the CZ or would I be better off carrying the PT 1911 45
Any and all feed back would be appreciated. Jeff

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Tote what you can hit with and, out of what you can hit with, what you can hide without wearing something that stands out, if we are talking about concealed carry. Concealed carry is still about compromising between concealment and effectiveness but if you can't hit with it, you are just making noise and endangering those not in your immediate vicinity. Yeah, you have to be able to hide it but you still have to be able to hit with it.

Also bear in mind what you are going to be doing when you are out and about. If you are going to be bending and stooping a lot, it's harder to hide a gun carried IWB behind the hip than if you are just standing or sitting in a chair.

Concealed carry is about blending in with the rest of the general public and not drawing attention to yourself. You can hide anything under a trench coat but wearing one when it's in the mid 90's and there's not a cloud in the sky sort of makes you stand out. Carrying larger guns concealed usually takes some modification to the wardrobe but it's often not anything extreme. Loose is better than tight, dark colors are better than light, heavier cloth is better than thin silk and patterns are better than solid colors when it comes to shirts. There's going to be a 'bulge' if you are carrying anything bigger than a Baby Browning .25. The trick is to dress so it is less noticeable.

Somebody is gonna say, "Wear what you want, nobody pays any attention." in a little bit. That's usually true, BUT, do you really want to rely on the world being oblivious? All it takes is one Chicken Little coming out of their haze for a few seconds to take notice, panic and yell, "He's got a gun!" to get you into a situation that could be easily avoided with a little forethought and effort.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since we are on a Taurus forum, let me recommend a Taurus G2 Millennium PT-111. That's what I carry. At 12 rounds, it has plenty of capacity, it's small enough to conceal in a pocket holster, it has a big enough grip to get three fingers on, it's light, and it's very affordable. It has been rebranded as the G2C, which is basically the G2 without the Hilary hole.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Biggest trick it to find something that you'll actually carry, consistently, everyday. After all the name brand talk, or how this round is superior to that round talk, or how many rounds it can hold talk, most people leave their guns at home due to the hassle of having to deal with them (weight is a big factor).

As to what that means for you, will be entirely based on your annoyance tollerance level as even the lightest of conseal and carry firearm has its drawbacks.

For me, i ened up with a S&W 340PD 357mag snub nose. It's not exactly the most joyful experience to shoot, but it's the only one that I would consistently carry without it being left behind, at the house, because I didn't want to mess with it before leaving somewhere.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Andyknaster just gave you good advice. Concealing a larger fram pistol is problematic. Yes, you hate longer barrel length, but at 10yards or less a 4 inch barrel is not going to add a lot over a 3 inch barrel. Tha G2 is an dgood co,promise between capacity and concealability.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
I really never bought a carry pistol i have two full sized 1911's a PT 92, PT 840 and a CZ 85 Combat. For right now I am leaning toward the CZ 85 it is slightly smaller than my other pistols the 840 has a smaller barrel but just feels bulkier. The CZ is also hard to beat as far as accuracy is concerned. It is also very reliable and I have three MecGar Plus two mags for it.
I've thought about buying a new Taurus Commander but I'd rather buy a Colt 38 Super but it will be awhile for that purchase its SS with colts blue grips
I have nice IWB leather holsters for one 1911 9mm RIA and another that fits the CZ or would I be better off carrying the PT 1911 45
Any and all feed back would be appreciated. Jeff
well I am sure that you already know my answer!
carry the CZ-85.
I carry my CZ p-01 , its lighter (alloy Frame) and a tad shorter (compact) than your 85, but then I have a CZ SP-01 thats about the same size and weight as your 85.
I can hit with both pretty well and they are super reliable.
heres what they typically can do, do you think I gain / lose much by carrying a larger weapon???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well OLFARHORS I think for the time being the CZ 85 is what I am going to be carrying until I can find what I want. I know that t the G2 is the right size for CC but it don't have a hammer a and I also know a hammer can get hung up. I just don't want a striker gun.
The CZ is probably the most accurate pistol I've ever shot I know at close range that won't make that much difference but that pistol has my confidence I trust it but then again I trust all my pistols there's just something about that one I like
Did you highlight the CZ slide in blue it looks like it in the pics you sent

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Honestly, since you're new to the carry scene, I would get something small and light. There are plenty of good guns for cheap money. Taurus has 2 poly guns that are great to start out with. The G2c and the G2s... aka PT-111g2 and the 709.

The S&W shield, Ruger LC9, even Glock 19 sized guns will be far lighter than anything you listed. The new Ruger Security 9, Sr9, 9E or the S&W Sd9ve are all solid choices for little money. Your manual of arms of the other guns have safeties, I think all the Rugers come with thumb safties.

You can start out with a larger gun, but the learning and comfort curve will be long. I'd suggest starting small, and inexpensive. If you decide it's not for you, you're not out a lot of money, if you decide you like it and want to carry a bigger gun, you're still not out a lot of money. All the guns I listed can be found for 350 or under, the Tauruses closer to 200.

Good luck whichever you choose.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Well OLFARHORS I think for the time being the CZ 85 is what I am going to be carrying until I can find what I want. I know that t the G2 is the right size for CC but it don't have a hammer a and I also know a hammer can get hung up. I just don't want a striker gun.
The CZ is probably the most accurate pistol I've ever shot I know at close range that won't make that much difference but that pistol has my confidence I trust it but then again I trust all my pistols there's just something about that one I like
Sorry, we were typing at the same time. :)

Hammer guns are few and far between these days. CZ does make a couple poly guns with hammers. H&K has a very nice guns (kinda pricey) and Springfield Armory has a hammer poly gun. The Ruger Security9 is hammer fired, but not in the traditional sense. It's more of an internal hammer.
The CZ Rami is an alloy framed hammer gun, hard to find.

That's about all that come to mind.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You should carry what you shoot best, which seems to be the CZ.

If you want a smaller gun, then check out the 75c, Rami (not hard to find around me or online for that matter) or maybe one of the clones from EAA or TriStar/Canik etc...

Sig makes some nice hammer fired pistols, and the Arex Zero1 C is supposed to be pretty nice as well.

·
22,942 Posts
I really never bought a carry pistol i have two full sized 1911's a PT 92, PT 840 and a CZ 85 Combat.
Concealability matters.
Ability to operate under pressure matters.
Reliability matters.
Accuracy matters. But not as much as the first three at personal defense range.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Kahr P9 has a slide that's only 7/8" wide

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Super Moderator
37,208 Posts
Personally it comes down to concealability, capacity, weight and reliability. My CZ 75 Compact is easily concealed, accurate and reliable but heavy for all day carry. It takes third place to the S & W Shield 45 ACP and the PT 111 G2, both of which are favored. The Shield has a smaller capacity but is supported by carrying two extra mags. The G2 has a great capacity in the gun and with a single Sig magazine in reserve fill the bill for ammo capability with 31 rounds total. The accuracy question is one solved with practice and I can place all rounds in an eight inch circle at 40'.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Your current "carry" pistols are what you got? Are you wanting a smaller one for summer/warmer weather? If so, I'd go smaller as it will give you more options to conceal.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Since you are striker averse, go with the smaller of your hammer fired pistols and use a pancake holster OWB. These holsters do a tremendous job of keeping the pistols profile low and smooth on the body. They are also very comfortable for every day where in the summer.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Yep, I did put royal blue on the slides of the CZ.
I have several choices in light to mid weight carry weapons, like 1911 in Officer size alloy frame, commander in alloy frames, defender in steel frames and several 380.
but day in and day out I have the sig 238 in the front pocket and the CZ P-01 in a IWB holster, now in a pancake OWB its a dream to carry and often I do that in winter.
I trust all my CZ waaaaaay more than anything else that I have.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
I have a SAR B6c which is a CZ75 compact clone. It holds 13+1 rounds and is very accurate.

I have not carried it much as I have not found the greatest IWB holster yet.

I really like the CZ design too!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts