Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry at work however it is against company policy but there is no security and we are open to the public. It is not illegal for me to carry there but company policy says it's for a violence free work place so this is not permitted except if you have a CWP you can keep a firearm in your vehicle. Which state law says otherwise you are able to have a firearm in your vehicle as a private citizen without a CWP except in prohibited areas like prisons, government parking lots, and such.

Just last week on my first day off several employees were robbed for a cigarette at gun point while outside in the smoking area. Come to find out the same guy robbed shot an killed someone at a convenience store earlier and after leaving our people went and robbed a Subway. The next day he shot two people and is still on the loose the police know who he is and have a BOLO on him. Also a few months ago a customer was robbed in the parking lot and two months before that an employee was rob leaving work on the way to there car. There have been threats of violence in our place of business and there have only so far been minor acts of such. That still doesn't make me feel any better.

My wife and I both work there during the same hours and have an exit strategy in case anything goes down or a plan in case she can't get out or I can't get to her right away. She has finally agreed to get her CWP but until then I am the only one who has an equalizer.

Anyway I said all that to ask a question or two.
Now before I ask the first question this is what I'm feeling and have felt for a long time. I'mmorallyy torn I live by a certain standard of doing what's right and don't feel right going against company policy which could get me fired however the policy could get us killed much worse then getting fired. I also know I am the only one who will protect my wife and I if the SHTF. As the saying goes I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six. And I know the company won't take care of my wife if I get killed and God forbid if I lost her because of there stupid policy.

So here's the question.
In your opinion would you risk your job in the name of safety if you were in the same position as I am? I know having a firearm isn't a save all and doesn't mean nothing bad will happen but it doesn't hurt.

Second question.
How many of you are put in this same position when you go to work or similar experience? And what are our thoughts on protecting yourself while doing so?

I had to disarm the other day when I went to the Tax Collectors Office which shares the building with the Court House. It felt like I was naked it was weird not feeling it on my side where it lives all day until I go to bed. Just sayin...

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My company has the same policy. They make no exceptions for CCW holders but don't mind if you keep a loaded firearm in your car in the company parking lot.

I carry an LCP when I'm working and frankly don't care if I'm dismissed because of it. I love the work but I'd rather remain a grandpa, dad, and husband for as long as possible.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I'd do the same as you, and also be conflicted about it. It's not like nobody ever breaks any workplace rule, the prohibition on legal carry is no different from any other workplace rule and carries no greater a moral penalty than any other rule. You won't be judged by 12, just fired. We don't have such a restriction at my workplace. From my boss' point of view, a prohibition on firearms just opens the company up to liability suits from a different direction. The employees could then sue for you failing to provide adequate security if there was a violent incident, while preventing them from legally providing for their own protection. I don't know if he got an actual legal opinion on that. After a couple of incidents with one employee's estranged husband, several employees started carrying, and there's several "toolbox" guns out in the shop. But then, this is Texas. Texas law specifically exempts you from prosecution for carrying a concealed weapon back and forth from your car to your home or place of business. It's also legal to carry one in your car without a CHL. Since we have no prohibition on firearms on the premises, I'm not sure the employees even need a CHL, as we're not really a public place. Virtually all of them have one though as far as I know. At least I know I have backup.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My work prohibits guns in the building but you can keep one in your car. I keep my carry gun in the truck at all times in a small safe but I also keep a TCP in my toolbox that never leaves. I have a heavy duty magnet that keeps it "hidden" away from prying eyes. I know where it is and can get to it easily but someone woould have to be doing a lot of snooping to find it. Our shop doors are always open and we have had problems with people breaking into vehicles. The owners have told us it is more for insurance purposes than anything. ;);)

Reactions: Armedpatriot

·
Registered
318 Posts
This thread is interesting as I'm sittng in my office with my weapon tucked IWB. I work for a commercial general contractor (churches, schools, offices, etc) Our policy prohibits firearms, my truck is owned by the company and firearms are not permitted. I feel like my risk is minimal but I still carry because It's not the Owner's a#$ if there were an event. We are a small firm, so I answer directly to the Owner. I guess the risk of being fired is what I have already decided to take. I do have to limit carrying on certain projects, schools & courthouses. Interestingly, banks also tend to frown on their contractors being armed.

It's ironic that the Owner brings his weapon to me to clean it about once a year. I guess if you're the Owner the rule doesn't apply to you.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Wish i could carry at work since the neighborhood my job is in doesn't have the best reputation throughout the city. I hear gunshots and sirens when i go on break and lunch, a night without them is unusual. The bad part is i can't carry since they frown on that in federal facilities.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also carry at work against policy. KY state law states that doing so with a CCW is not a criminal act, but i do open myself up to company discipline. here is the statue from KY:

(17)The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business enterprise, day-care center as defined in KRS 199.894 or certified or licensed family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, or a health-care facility licensed under KRS Chapter 216B, except facilities renting or leasing housing, may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer or business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying concealed weapons is prohibited. Possession of weapons, or ammunition, or both in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the weapons, or ammunition, or both are not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. A private but not a public employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employer, but may not prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employee, except that the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet may prohibit an employee from carrying any weapons, or ammunition, or both other than the weapons, or ammunition, or both issued or authorized to be used by the employee of the cabinet, in a vehicle while transporting persons under the employee's supervision or jurisdiction. Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in this subsection by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer. from KRS 237.110 (17)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't carry at work, per company policy. The policy includes "property" and not just the building. But lucky for me, the office where I work is part of a large office complex, so my employee does not own the parking lot. So it stays in the car. We have a security dept responsible for training our retail stores on safe practices and security and I've considered approaching that dept about how they would handle an armed assailant in our corp offices but I haven't gotten up the nerve to bring up that topic, as I do not want it to bring me unwanted attention.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I can't carry at work, but leave something in the car. In your situation where there has been multiple e ants against your co-workers, I would have to carry. If you haven't already, I would get all the employees to get together on forcing your company to add extra security measures. It wouldn't be wise to lush a carry exemption, but everyone needs to band together and force the company to up their security NOW.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
It's easy to say that you should carry no mater what, and your safety is more important than your job but, jobs are not that easy to get right now. You need to do what you think is best, and maybe you can get a group of like minded co workers to go to the boss and get the rules changed. I know my wife breaks the rules buy keeping her gun in her purse at work, she feels better about walking to her car and about coming home to a empty house some nights.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Our work policy is no on carrying inside the building but that's a safety issue since we sell firearms. We're not supposed to have them in our vehicles but every employee but one does. All the guys I work with are "gun guys" so they understand we're located on the edge of the worse neighborhood in town. I'd rather have to deal with finding another job than the alternative

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Company owners are in a "Catch 22" postion, Damned if they do, Damned if they don't.

Everyone is cognent of employees "going postal", so permitting employees to possess guns gives the crazies a company sponsored "head start" so to speak.

It's a quantry I don't think has an easy answer; as law abiding gun owners we want to be able to defend ourselves and co-workers, but I don't think we'll see it happen "enmasse" in our life times.

We all have only 1* (one @$$ to risk) and know what the bottom line is, it's an individual decision as to which path you'll have to take.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
My company has the same policy. They make no exceptions for CCW holders but don't mind if you keep a loaded firearm in your car in the company parking lot.

I carry an LCP when I'm working and frankly don't care if I'm dismissed because of it. I love the work but I'd rather remain a grandpa, dad, and husband for as long as possible.
What he said!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I cant carry on the job I work for the school district so i cant even have mine in my car on properity i fell naked all day but as soon as I get home I put it on. Its a stupid policy and especialy where I work in the district there are days where I wish I could.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I carry at my workplace .Without a question if it became public knowledge that I do so I would be fired quicker than a +P 10mm round.

However the calculus behind my decision to carry is simple.I can get another job post shootout upon my certain dismissal.I cannot get another life if I'm shot dead for want of a firearm.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i cannot carry at work or the sites I have to go to. I do carry to and from. As stated a job is too important this day and age. You have to just put your priorities in order. I have only been working many more years than I have been carrying. I thank God so far I have not had any engagemnts requiring me to draw my carry and have not had any crimes against me. I chock it up to one of lifes gambles. I will carry whereever and whenever I can but I tend to stick as most as I can to company policies and feb/state laws.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all good discussion so far. I like one of you said I can get another job but have only one life here on this earth. Another saying comes to mind "It's better to have it and never need it then to need it and not have it."

·
Registered
810 Posts
I live in the inner city and am prohibited from the means for my self defense outside my home anywhere within the whole State. I truly WISH my only worry was whether or not to risk my job by legally carrying.

This comes down to an individual decision. My decision would be to follow company policy and make respectful and serious comments to management about my and my fellow employees' safety concerns.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i cannot carry at work or the sites I have to go to. I do carry to and from. As stated a job is too important this day and age. You have to just put your priorities in order. I have only been working many more years than I have been carrying. I thank God so far I have not had any engagemnts requiring me to draw my carry and have not had any crimes against me. I chock it up to one of lifes gambles. I will carry whereever and whenever I can but I tend to stick as most as I can to company policies and feb/state laws.
I stick to company policies very strictly except that one most people I work with even other management don't adhere to most of them. I double checked and I am in State and Federal guidelines don't want to see inside a jail or prison with the terms I can't leave. Right now I can leave after I teach my class at either. I do have to park across the street from both when I go but have some sense of security with all the cops or guards around since I can't park on the prison property or in the jail parking lot with my weapon in the vehicle. Besides after I push the alarm button they make me wear I can use it as a weapon. I only go a couple times month to both.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in the inner city and am prohibited from the means for my self defense outside my home anywhere within the whole State. I truly WISH my only worry was whether or not to risk my job by legally carrying.

This comes down to an individual decision. My decision would be to follow company policy and make respectful and serious comments to management about my and my fellow employees' safety concerns.
I did want to address this someone else mentioned this also. Oh and I am sorry you live in a communist state I used to love going to Chicago every month or so when I live up that way and was young but went strapped even with it being illegal didn't care back then.
Our company has a rent a cop that patrols the parking lot but the bad guys know they can'tofficiallyy do anything but call the police. They also have cameras all over but thisdoesn'tt bother those who aren't upright citizens. Both only keep somewhat honest people honest. Our company is world wide and there policies are the same through out with limited exceptions to be state or country law compliant.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts