Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip to Canadian Niagara Falls. New York state laws are very restrictive. Anyone have any experience crossing the border? Can you legally declare your firearm, and cross back and forth over the border?

·
Registered
475 Posts
My wife is from NY , been going there since 1988. I'm not sure about the border , but i would never take a firearm into NY. The state is , as you say very very restrictive. And even some localities are even more than the state. I'm not talking about the New York city area , though it is , there are small townships that have their own laws.

Also if your taking any knives or pepper spray, tasers , you better check NY laws. They can also very restrictive.

If your driving up from to NY , you should be very careful going though Maryland.

·
22,306 Posts
No. Do not try it. Unless you're going on a big game hunt, I would never even attempt to cross into Canada with firearms.

·
Registered
14,807 Posts
If I was going to the horsehoe falls in Canada I would go through Michigan and avoid NY like the plague and I grew up less than 50 miles from the falls. Nothing good can come from carrying a handgun into new york state. Don't do that to yourself.

·
Super Moderator
36,046 Posts
Since there's no carry in Canada, I presume you are going North into Canada. You would be breaking Federal law and Canadian law, probably be detained and/or imprisoned, fined out the yingyang and lose your opportunity to ever buy a firearm legally again. I personally would not chance it.

New York state ..not sure what their deal is, but check Handgunlaw.us and US carry. Pretty sure that any transport in a vehicle involves having the firearm dismantled and cased, of course unloaded, and in the trunk or totally inaccessible to the driver. They also have magazine limits.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Super Moderator
36,046 Posts
This is from 2012 and they only have gotten stricter since then:

https://www.usacarry.com/forums/con...transport-handgun-through-new-york-state.html

"From the NRA/ILA on Transporting Firearms through NY.It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has avalid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which wouldprohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any placewhere he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess andtransport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloadedfirearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console)."

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

Personally...I would leave them at home...fly into BUF, rent a car and stay as short as possible.

·
Registered
24,611 Posts
No, No and No!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Not only NO but HELL NO.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Yeah, Texas is big enough for me. :D

Reactions: Kevin Keith

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
It has been said that it is tougher to get back into the States than it is to get across the border into Canada. It sure ain't worth the risk either direction.

Of course I have also heard that if you have Texas tags on your vehicle you can simply plan on a very deep search of person and property.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
It has been said that it is tougher to get back into the States than it is to get across the border into Canada. It sure ain't worth the risk either direction.

Of course I have also heard that if you have Texas tags on your vehicle you can simply plan on a very deep search of person and property.
Alabama Driver's Licenses get the same treatment coming back into the country.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Maybe have your car professionally cleaned/detailed. A co-worker bought a used dodge dart/demon in upstate New York and drove it back through Canada to Michigan. Coming back over at Detroit Customs/DEA found a few marijuana seeds wedged between the carpet and kick panel on the passenger side. 6 hours later they collected the parts and pieces of the Dart piled it into the back seat area, told him to be careful who he buys cars from and let him go...

·
Registered
36,319 Posts

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Just another reason to never roam beyond the borders of The Lone Star State! As if I needed another reason... :)
Yea I get a bad rash when I get near the Mason-Dixon line can't imagine anything further north.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts

well the simple answer to that is fly into Mexico and come in that way!!--EASY-PEASY!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts