Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is in Florida, and no one was injured. This is posted for educational purposes since there is a youtube surveillance video with this news story. The carjacking process itself starts at around 2:10 with the 3 juveniles watching from another aisle over from the victim. i think the gun is pulled at 2:23

NEW: South Florida boy, 12, charged as adult in armed carjacking

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
12yo with a gun... Our society is DOOMED. How do we reverse this type of trend??

This happen on a Monday, Jan 15, at around 9:40am according to the time stamp on the video footage. Why was this 12yo not in school???? Oh, wait, Jan. 15 was MLK Day... That explains a lot...

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
Give the political climate we have today, was that a carjacking or enforced entitlement?

Yes, I said this in poor humor. Truth is this how deplorable should be defined.

My how the tables would have turned had Grandma been carrying and enforced her right to presonal protection. Wonder what the courts position would have been as to charging Grandma or filing to declare a 12 year old an adult?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
12yo with a gun... Our society is DOOMED. How do we reverse this type of trend??
Easy, parents take responsibility for your children. Spend more time getting to know them if you have these signs:

If your child has all the fresh gear but has no job and you didn't buy it.
If you don't know your kids friends/parents.

If you notice these things, get involved in their lives and if they're doing wrong, SNITCH to the police!!!

This as been a public service announcement from "The house is the parents kingdom and we are dictators. Kids will be loyal subjects"! :eek::D

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The news link isn't clear on which one of the three yutes (as cousin Vinnie would say) had the gun, but all 3 participated in the crime. He might not have been carrying the gun this time, but he might be the one carrying it the next time. :(

Regardless of the age of whichever juvenile it was that held the gun, it will still kill just as easily as if held by an adult. :(

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Around here, the 12 year olds sell guns to 13 year olds who shoot other 13 year olds.
Bangers are a cancer on society. Cancers require extreme measures. Our society can't stomach the treatment process, however.

·
Super Moderator
37,212 Posts
Easy, parents take responsibility for your children. Spend more time getting to know them if you have these signs:

If your child has all the fresh gear but has no job and you didn't buy it.
If you don't know your kids friends/parents.

If you notice these things, get involved in their lives and if they're doing wrong, SNITCH to the police!!!

This as been a public service announcement from "The house is the parents kingdom and we are dictators. Kids will be loyal subjects"! :eek::D
The gang is their family, filling the void where the real family is supposed to be. The youngsters are prized by the gang family as they typically get lighter sentences and are released sooner from their institutions of "higher education".

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Beyond the low-hanging fruit of society comments, there's the aspect of avoiding the crime itself.

Awareness, awareness, awareness.

I'm not Bond or Bourne, but I like to think my scan would have picked up someone hanging out in the parking lot, not going in or coming out -- just hanging out and watching the parking lot. Especially if the group left its perch and moved toward the store after I parked.

Even more so if I saw the same group at the same perch when I came back into the parking lot.

And even more so if I saw the group leave that perch and cross traffic lanes to come directly towards me as I approached the car.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Even back in the mid-70's when I was a cop and 6'1" and about 200 lbs, I dealt with many a 15-17 yr old who made me look like their little brother. Some of these 'kids' where 6'4" or above and in the 225 lb range. I didn't like dealing with them unless I had to as far too many of them used their size to try to intimidate others. That doesn't work too well on cops but a few of them had to be taught that lesson...although they were big enough that it often took more than one officer to take them into custody when they wanted to fight.

Even worse must have been for their families to feed them! My father used to joke about me that when I enlisted in the Marine Corps his grocery bill got cut in half but his taxes doubled and I was 6'1" and a whopping 147 lbs when I shipped off to boot-camp. LOL

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Beyond the low-hanging fruit of society comments, there's the aspect of avoiding the crime itself.

Awareness, awareness, awareness.

I'm not Bond or Bourne, but I like to think my scan would have picked up someone hanging out in the parking lot, not going in or coming out -- just hanging out and watching the parking lot. Especially if the group left its perch and moved toward the store after I parked.

Even more so if I saw the same group at the same perch when I came back into the parking lot.

And even more so if I saw the group leave that perch and cross traffic lanes to come directly towards me as I approached the car.
That's why it's important to carry at all times ! Never know when something will happen . Also it's important to ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings !
Both of you are right. This is just a general tactical question for anyone who carries, about the part of the video where the woman firsts begins to approach her car and the juv with the gun approaches her from the opposite direction (2:22) I think I know how I would handle it, but was wondering how others would deal with the situation if it got to that point of the video? Obviously if you were suspicious of the three prior to 2:22, you wouldn't approach your car door in the first place, so I'm not talking about that.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Both of you are right. This is just a general tactical question for anyone who carries, about the part of the video where the woman firsts begins to approach her car and the juv with the gun approaches her from the opposite direction (2:22) I think I know how I would handle it, but was wondering how others would deal with the situation if it got to that point of the video? Obviously if you were suspicious of the three prior to 2:22, you wouldn't approach your car door in the first place, so I'm not talking about that.
Ah, once again opening the can of, "What is your response in the face of a drawn gun," COW. :eek:

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
When i noticed before hand i would have already drawn when i seen three coming in different directions . The one with the gun........ well it’s either him or me but guaranteed i would have finished it !!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Some predatory little animals there that need to be put into a cage until they learn how to be civilized.
Glad that one of them had a mother who didn't defend or excuse her precious little darling's behavior and turned him in to the authorities.
Just goes to show that it isn't ALWAYS the parent's fault when little Johnny turns bad.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ah, once again opening the can of, "What is your response in the face of a drawn gun," COW. :eek:
While that's true the facts are that in a majority of civilian armed encounters and also off duty plainclothes LE, the defender is facing an attacker who has already drawn his or her gun. No matter how aware of your surroundings you are, you are never going to be able to outdraw some attackers in some situations, unless possibly you carry your handgun in your hand all the time, like a armored car guard carrying a bag of money. If you draw down on or in some cases or jurisdictions even display a gun in your hand if you encounter a suspicious person or persons, even if you don't point it at them, it could possibly get you arrested if you're wrong, and they turn out not be armed at the time the cops are involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if this video ends up on the Active self protection series of videos, where the video is analyzed by the host. I have no idea what he will say, but I know what happened in a previous incident. This video at 2:21 to 2:22 is almost exactly like a defensive shooting involving an off duty cop in plainclothes decades ago, including the position of the attacker and defender relative to the car. In that case, instead of walking toward the attacker from the back of the car, he stopped, took a step back, and then moved right, so that the body of the vehicle was between him and the attacker. This gave him the opportunity to draw his gun without being seen by the attacker, and forced the attacker to move in toward him in order to get a good shot. When the attacker did, as soon as he cleared the car, he was shot before he could react to seeing the cop, because the cop was already prepared to shoot the attacker had the attacker advanced, which he did.

In that old case I don't recall the cop was attacked by any accomplices like the video in the OP, but those juveniles in the video didn't come in from behind until after she was confronted by the first attacker anyway. If she had been armed and positioned herself in a similar manner, she could've dealt with a threat from her left side also.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
This is in Florida, and no one was injured. This is posted for educational purposes since there is a youtube surveillance video with this news story. The carjacking process itself starts at around 2:10 with the 3 juveniles watching from another aisle over from the victim. i think the gun is pulled at 2:23

NEW: South Florida boy, 12, charged as adult in armed carjacking
Boy, times sure have changed. I'm only 52, and when I was twelve, I would have never dreamed of doing something like this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts