Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the Italian Carcano rifle? My son has been interested in purchasing one. I know ammo is hard to come by only one co. manufactures it.
What would be a fair price to pay for one in decent condition? Thanks

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I got my Carcano from brunston! I LOVE it!! Then again I am a minion and the version I got is a short stock, short barrel carbine. The ammo mine takes is 6.5 carcano and while it's not everywhere to be found, I can find it!

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
Isn't that the rifle that was used to allegedly? assassinate JFK?

But I heard that rifle couldn’t group 5 shots in under 12” at 5 yards . . . . To this day, still not sure how that was pulled off . . . :icon_ poke:

·
Registered
483 Posts
What's the interest in it for him if I may ask? I don't know a whole lot about it, but what I remember seeing on tv was a basically lukewarm opinion of the rifle. Surely there must be other vintage military rifles that hold more appeal that A) can find ammo for, B) can shoot accurately, C) can be made more modern for practical use i.e. synthetic stocks, or modern scope mounts. Top of the list would be either a Nagant, or a Kar98.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If it's a 6.5X52mm, good luck in finding ammo and or reloading components to shoot the little beast.

Several configurations were manufactured and they are an interesting rifle, but the 6.5mm bullets it requires are of an oddball size.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the interest in it for him if I may ask? I don't know a whole lot about it, but what I remember seeing on tv was a basically lukewarm opinion of the rifle. Surely there must be other vintage military rifles that hold more appeal that A) can find ammo for, B) can shoot accurately, C) can be made more modern for practical use i.e. synthetic stocks, or modern scope mounts. Top of the list would be either a Nagant, or a Kar98.
Also not getting why he is interested in the Carcano. He had a Mosin and sold it. I know that he likes the M1's but way out of his budget.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
There is a lot of mis-information about the Carcano rifles. It is not the weak actioned, inaccurate rifle that many portray it as. The action is built from a special high strength steel that allows the action to be light weight but extremely strong. The rifling twist is progressive instead of the normal constant twist of almost all other rifles. Shorting the barrels induce inaccuracy.

There are two companies that produce ammo for the 6.5 mm Carcano, Norma and PPU. Norma is what I prefer. I know of no companies that produce 7.35 Carcano, yes there was a 7.35 Carcano. The 6.5 mm Carcano barrel does not measure 6.5mm but is actually slightly oversized from the factory. It is very accurate when using properly sized bullets in a good barrel. To load, A 5 round clip is inserted into the open actions. Once the last round is chambered, the clip falls out of the bottom. It's easy for mud/dirt to enter this lower hole for the clip.

The Carcano was the standard Italian army rifle in both World Wars. It was so strong that in WW2, the Germans bored out the Carcano barrels to successfully use their 8mm ammo.

Sekols Carcano is a super short WW1 version issued to special troops.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
There is a lot of mis-information about the Carcano rifles. It is not the weak actioned, inaccurate rifle that many portray it as. The action is built from a special high strength steel that allows the action to be light weight but extremely strong. The rifling twist is progressive instead of the normal constant twist of almost all other rifles. Shorting the barrels induce inaccuracy.

There are two companies that produce ammo for the 6.5 mm Carcano, Norma and PPU. Norma is what I prefer. I know of no companies that produce 7.5 Carcano, yes there was a 7.5 Carcano. The 6.5 mm Carcano barrel does not measure 6.5mm but is actually slightly oversized from the factory. It is very accurate when using properly sized bullets in a good barrel. To load, A 5 round clip is inserted into the open actions. Once the last round is chambered, the clip falls out of the bottom. It's easy for mud/dirt to enter this lower hole for the clip.

The Carcano was the standard Italian army rifle in both World Wars. It was so strong that in WW2, the Germans bored out the Carcano barrels to successfully use their 8mm ammo.

Sekols Carcano is a super short WW1 version issued to special troops.
YEAH Brunston - I was hoping you would chime in here!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
When shopping for a Carcano, condition is everything.....especially the bore. Back in the 1950's and 60's, surplus Carcano rifles were about as cheap as you could get. Surplus ammo was corrosive and many rifles were sporterized by well meaning but budget conscious Americans. Avoid any barrels that have been shortened since it will effect their accuracy dramatically. It is difficult to mount a scope in the normal position and a scope must be mounted on the left side of the receiver like the Lee Harvey Oswald rifle or perhaps like a scout rifle does. Because of the lack of suitable ammo and demand, Carcano's go cheap.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
There is one more variation of the Carcano out there. Between the world wars, Japan ordered 5,000 Carcano's in 6.5mm Jap. I have seen 2 and missed out on buy one of them.

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
There is a lot of mis-information about the Carcano rifles.

I know. I missed out on the chance to shoot your Carcano at my last SD meet - just relaying rumors I’ve heard and read over the years.

Reactions: Bruntson

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
But I heard that rifle couldn’t group 5 shots in under 12” at 5 yards . . . . To this day, still not sure how that was pulled off . . . :icon_ poke:
I understand that the Carcano is much more accurate when fired from a "Grassy Knoll"---:tinhat2:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with Brunston in that the Italian Carcano rifles are much maligned and I believe unjustly so. If you extend your research beyond the opinion of some self-proclaimed expert on a forum or blog, you will find numerous references that speak to the quality of the Carcano design and even more so the quality of the materials used in the manufacture of these firearms. I have two of the Terni M38 rifles in 7.35mm. Unfortunately both have suffered at the hands of "bubba" and have any value that they may have the potential to develop. The first one I bought suffered the worst and actually had a cracked safety actuator. The pawn shop sold it to me for ~$25 IIRC. I paid about 4 times as much for the second one but it was less "bubba'd" and has more restoration potential. For both the barrels are unaltered and in decent condition. I really like to come across an intact stock (at a reasonable price).That would make me pretty happy.
RE: ammo, I have a few cardboard wrapped surplus ammo packs preloaded into the clips! As mentioned, they have corrosive primers and I don't know if I will ever use them. I did buy a 100 count bag of new brass and a box of bullets. I have the LEE 7.35 Carcano die set and should be good to go!
At this point, I'd say that any of the versions of the Carcano would be interesting collectibles. Go for it.
Flex

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Mmm, I'll keep my bolt guns, modern and milsurp. Only way I'd be interested in a Carcano is if I wanted to collect every long arm used by the axis powers or some such. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
If I had the money I get one that had been bubba'ed and re barrel it to 7.62x39 just to see if it improves the accuracy over SKS's and AK's.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
If I had the money I get one that had been bubba'ed and re barrel it to 7.62x39 just to see if it improves the accuracy over SKS's and AK's.
Not a real high bar, there. :rofl:There are modern sporting bolt guns in 7.62x39 that're probably cheaper than rebarreling a carcano.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a Carcano for years. Had trouble finding ammo. So traded it in on a 6.5X55 Swede. Never looked back. But when I could find ammo, it was a shooter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts