Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6666.0

I'm sure Nypd and the other officers on board who spent any time in a squad car can explain what happens in a gunfight involving cars, but I will relate a humorous little hunting story for you to enjoy. When I was a kid my father and I did a little coyote hunting for a dairy farmer that was losing calves to the little bastards. It was fun for the most part, but mainly it was all about getting up at three A.M. to beat the coyotes to the birth. (Why calves always seem to be born at 2-3 A.M. I will never know). Anyway the coyotes smell the birth and try to get a free lunch and we try to give them a 55 grain appetite suppressor. Well on one of these outings I dosed off with the window rolled down, and it was about 7, all I heard\felt was booooooooooom! Well my old man had parked the the blazer and sat to watch a heifer and a newborn feed. Sure enough ol' wiley had snuck up on my side of the truck so all he did was rest the barrel of his mini-14 on the lip of the open window and let one go. I opened my eyes to brass bouncing around in the cab, and him cussing because he missed.
"Jesus!" I screamed but all he said was hold still and he plopped the wood forearm on my head and a cracked off two more shots finally hitting the mutt. But the shot didn't kill it and we had to run it down with blazer only to lose it in a thicket of blackberries. They found the carcass about a week later and that's about the same time my hearing returned. There is a reason why there are game laws restricting shooting from a vehicle and I'd like to hope that preserving the hunter's hearing was one of them. There are also various safety reasons to why you should not shoot a gun inside a car regardless if the windows are rolled down or not. Lots of bad things can happen to you and you can injure yourself very severely. You should only do it in a life or death situation.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was only 9 at the time back then, my head was much small than it was now, but he needed the elevation.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I needed that! I have always said, I was partially deaf due to hunting in a line of 5 or 6 guys sweeping a field, and they all shot at once for the same rabbit.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
While you may not realize it now, you have sustained permanent hearing damage. How much is unknown without tests.

A gun fight is a bit different. Adrenalin causes auditory exclusion, along with your fixation on the threat. You'll still screw up yout hearing, but won't be disabled by it in the short term. ;)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Great story, Ace. I've had a couple similar situations and your story brought back a lot of old memories.

I've always tried to learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of others. One of the hard fast rules I always had was you never shoot across the roof of a car. Too many guys have had their head shot off by getting out of the car just as their buddy took his shot while using the roof as a bench rest.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I heard a story of a guy shooting at a coyote and using the box of his new pickup truck as a rest. First shot, huge boom, the dog still running. Same on second shot. After the second shot he saw to big holes in the opposite side of the truck box. He didn't see the box in the scope.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
i can't even start to tell all the stories of when I was young if your live's were like mine we are all lucky to be alive :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In regards to the forearm bouncing thing it didn't, but I could feel the op-rod cycleing. Not something I want to go through again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts