Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small of back holsters are certainly bad for driving. Some use a holster that fits between the driver's seat and the door.

If you did that and were in a hijack situation, which hand would you want to draw with?

JimL

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Ok, first things first! I have a truck with two compartments in the door, If I was using either one of them, and not planning to exit the truck, I would do the weak hand thing. If they got to me and were getting me out of the seat I would use my regular hand as I exited. Either way, they might not be aware of what I was doing, IMO.

If I had one of those installed holsters, I would surely have it between the seat and the console, attached either with a bracket that Fobus has for vehicle mounts, or fastened directly to the console. Then I would do the regular hand or strong hand thing, and according to Gun Site Academy, bring it accross the steering wheel top if going to use it out of the drivers door, or take aim and fire direct out the passenger side, or front windshield.

Either way, I would try to get rid of that Blankety blank, seat belt if possible. I know on PD TV they showed gun on hip, and you should loosen seat belt with both hands, remove belt with your left, and draw right handed from belt holster.

It has always been my opinion, as I told my wife when I was going away to the Navy, forty some years ago. If some SOB gets in front of you and tries to force you to stop, hit the gas and see how fast he can jump, if he does not jump too darn bad.

Like they say, the best gun fight is the one you do not have!! And a 3000 lb car is a match for most guys with a gun if your coming right at their kneecaps under full acceleration!!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
For another option, take another look at my initial post in the Car Safes thread. There are pics of the center console set-up I had with my TJ. On more than I occasion I had my hand in my center console with the gun already gripped until I was sure that the other vehicle acting strange was nothing. Locking my doors wouldn't have helped as it was a soft top Jeep, same one that I use as my display pic.

It wouldn't be concealed but a small frame revolver rides decently in a cup holder....

Steelheart

·
15,931 Posts
My son's who all have jeeps, have those consoles installed in them. The one who is a medically retired LEO, kept his personal in there, and even his duty when he was heading home from work.

Oh, by the way If my car gun is THE JUDGE, it fits the door pockets great, and does not need a bracket to stay next to the console. And our state says it is a no go to have it in the console,it must be either concealed, with CCDW, or in the glove box, whether locked or not.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robby said:
our state says it is a no go to have it in the console, it must be either concealed, with CCDW, or in the glove box, whether locked or not.
I take it, then, that the consoles to which you refer do not have covers?

Either way, that's an extremely odd law. "You're under arrest for not moving that gun over two inches!!!!"

BTW, my question about the by-the-seat holster was based on the fact that when I read about it it seemed unless you're a lefty it's pretty awkward either way, compared to a console location - or even a front-of-seat-between-the-knees location. I thought maybe someone could convince me such an installation was a great idea.

JimL

·
15,931 Posts
My sons jeep consoles, were armored type, with lockable compartment, actually made for anything of value you might be carrying, but were used for guns in most cases by my sons.

You did not ask what I would do if I was a lefty!! but I have seen mounts that could be between the door and seat, if no door compartment. I personally would not want the gun under the seat, but mounted between my legs, so I could do right or left might work, but I kind of doubt I would like it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The car holster assumes you will be sitting in the driver's seat at all times, never getting out to gas up, take a pee, or get involved in a fender bender. Some car jackers and other crooks will fake a minor collision just to get you out of the car. I can think of several scenarios where someone may feel comfortable getting out unarmed for "just a few seconds" only to get jumped, or jacked.

Keeping a self defense firearm in a door pocket, console, or some kind of car "holster" is in my humble opinion, a bad idea. If you are going to carry a firearm for self defense, carry the firearm.

Based on my training and experience, your mileage may vary.​

·
15,931 Posts
I will add one more comment to my already lengthy tirade! I might have THE JUDGE in the car, but that does not eliminate the fact that I might have the PT111, or the Rossi 357 somewhere on me.

For an example, I have the Rossi in my vest as I type this, and I am in my house.

But I agree to exactly what your saying about gun in car only. You could be in big time trouble.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Robby said:
But I agree to exactly what your saying about gun in car only.
Whoa there, Sammy Jo! I didn't say a thing about ONLY. In fact the guy who wrote the article I was thinking about uses a forward cant IWB holster. He puts the gun in the seat holster when he gets in to keep it out of his ribs and puts it back in the IWB when he's getting out.

Imagination, imagination, imagination! :judge: Think out of the bun! :zzz: Think out of your mind! :D Gosh, is there carbon monoxide in here?? :fart:

JimL

·
15,931 Posts
Like you love to say, OPTIONS! More than one way to inhale the nitrous oxide!! I too have sat for a few hours with an IWB, but not day after day, or on a long drive.

When I do, even with no CCDW, THE JUDGE is close by for immediate use, and one of the others is in the Glove box, to comply with the the law partially, but as we are open carry, I keep THE JUDGE in a holster that has a paddle, so I can say it is going on the belt when I get out.

Would I lie?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts