Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't exactly know where to put this. This seemed like a good place though. Where is a good place to buy a vehicle gun safe? Once I find one, what's a good way to install it? Never had one since I lived on a military base and couldn't carry.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The type of vehicle you have will have quite a bit to do with the type of safe you can install.

Here's what I currently use: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=282585 Its good for storage but the speed of access sucks (basically your probably screwed).

There's some on these pages that could work depending on your vehicle (in no particular order):
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=75&s=126
http://www.vlineind.com/html/products.html
http://www.consolevault.com/
http://www.gunvault.com/
http://www.dactec.com/store/detail23c7.html?cart=11939422311342&sku=ATV2003C&itemCategory=safes

In my previous Jeep I had one of these which worked great (pics attached):
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/tj/040.html
The day planner worked well with a medium frame revolver too. With a smaller planner a smaller gun should be just fine. I wish that they made one for the Grand Cherokee. :(

Steelheart

·
Registered
319 Posts
Go to Cabela's website and look in Gun Safes & Cabinets. You will have several selections. The one that I use is the Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe for $30.00. It is a keyed lockbox that has a kryptonite cable securing it to whatever you want. The cable has a fixed loop on both ends. One end you loop around a fixed stationary object, then you run one loop thru the other and that loop is then locked up in the lock box. The cables are approx 24 inches long. I have two in my pickup. I keep them both locked around a seat post bolt. When traveling in my truck, I simply pull the one with my pistol locked up in it, up onto the passenger seat beside me and put the key in it. It is then easily accessed if I should need it. When not in the truck, then just lock it up, remove the key, and slip it back under the seats or behind them. I have two so that when I am traveling in a state such as Illinois, I then unload the pistol completely & lock it up in one box. Then put the ammo & the magazine in the other box and lock it. They can be moved from vehicle to vehicle very easily. I highly recommend them. They work well for me. Good hunting!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Steelheart said:
The type of vehicle you have will have quite a bit to do with the type of safe you can install.
Agreed. Here is my solution that seems to work well in an SUV and should satisfy all state's requirements. I bought a digital safe from Harbor Freight on sale for $19.99. Then I cut a slot in the bottom of it so it would slip over the cargo tie-downs in the back of the SUV. I have programmed my own 3-digit code which means I have access to the contents in one second.

For now, I have a notched wood block to hold the safe in place. The notches prevent the block from being dislodged by shaking the safe. I know I can come up with a better attachment than a wood block, but I was in a bit of a hurry the day I installed it.

The wood block allows me to easily remove the safe for when we travel. The safe can double as a room safe for the wife's jewelry if the hotel does not already provide one. [Edit] I have a bicycle cable where I can slip the two end loops into the slot under the safe and then secure with a padlock inside the safe to prevent anyone from walking off with the entire safe.

Everyone will have their own 'best' solution. This one works for me and the price was right.

·
Registered
959 Posts
This is a vary informative Thread... I must say that ALL solutions to this perplexing problem will be Noted by the rest of us...<:))

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
VegasGuy said:
.... The wood block allows me to easily remove the safe for when we travel. The safe can double as a room safe for the wife's jewelry if the hotel does not already provide one.....
Just a thought, a padlock with some foam rubber over it (picturing a layer over the whole bottom of the safe) might work to secure the safe. As I think about it, something else in the cargo loop might help keep it down, that piece of wood would work well with an extra notch to allow for the padlock loop.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Thanks for the kudos, mrglock. FYI: before I read the new posts, I made an edit to my original post having to do with how to secure the safe if we bring it into a hotel room.

The cargo hold attachment gives me a lot of options, some of which have been pointed out above. I never use the cargo holds so that leaves me the options of semi-permanently attaching the safe by removing the cargo hold loop & bracket and drilling two holes that align with the cargo hold bolts; or removing the cargo hold loop and creating an attachment mechanism that utilizes the bracket and is more flush. The block of wood is not an ideal solution.

Side comment: Because I live in Vegas, I often valet park. This safe is far more secure than a locked glove box for storing valuables I always keep in the SUV, like a GPS, camera, etc. I find I use it far more often than I originally intended.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use the same one, or at least a similar one, that forfun uses because I never know when I am going to be in my car, my wife's car, or our motorhome. I like that one because it is much better than the old glove box if I happen to go somewhere that doesn't allow me to carry. Such as the hospital or the big game.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Secure-it Handgun Storage Safe I purchased from Sportsmans Guide for under $30. Find it a good place to store the weapon if I have to actually enter a gun-free zone (bank, etc.). Also, easy to move from vehicle to vehicle. That said, wouldn't use it for long term (overnight) storage as a determined thief could easily cut the cable if he brought the right tools. Additionally, if the vehicle is stolen, the safe offers no further protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are many things to consider when you want to put a Handgun Safe in a motorized vehicle. First, let me say that you usually get what you pay for. So, a $30.00 Handgun Safe will usually have thinner metal and a very cheap Korean Electric Lock. This will not necessarily be a long term, reliable solution for you. We like the "push button" Simplex manual 5 button lock over the electric locks. Why? Because an SUV, Jeep or any other outdoor vehicle is exposed to plenty of moisture during all four Seasons of the year. The Simplex Lock is very reliable and can be serviced occasionally by a trained Locksmith. Second, you will want heavier metal such as 3/16 steel, instead of 16 gauge metal that is thin and easy to defeat. The heavier metal costs more.. but will fight back better if someone is trying to steal your safe and handgun. PLUS, the heavier metal can be secured much better to the car/truck/suv frame. One company that makes a tough handgun safe is Perma-Vault.

We have installed this safe in Firetrucks, Fire Inspectors Trucks and other law enforcement vehicles. If you want to make the Handgun Safe portable, you can get special bolts with a "quick release" nut from the inside of the handgun safe from: Fastenal. They have over 2,000 locations in the USA and you can go their website at: www.fastenal.com They have a "Store Locator" feature and there is probably an store close to you. Fastenal is great. Take the Perma-Vault handgun safe or any other one you choose in to them. Explain that you need some "quick release" nuts on bolts that you will mount to the frame of your vehicle and they can give you several options. The high density foam inside of the Perma-Vault Handgun Safe will protect your handgun as well from any metal-to-metal contact.

WARNING: Most Handgun Safes come with (4) pre-drilled holes in the bottom of them. When you go to drill holes in your vehicle, be careful that you do not hit a gas line, brake line or any other line that is critical to the safe operation of your vehicle.

Remember, if you leave your handgun in the safe, inside the vehicle, you want to be sure to have a strong, well constructed product. Most important, the lock needs to be very reliable. We have over 40 locksmiths who all agree that the Simplex push button lock is far more reliable than any other electronic lock. Plus, with a little practice, access time to open your handgun safe can be accomplished in 5 seconds or less. Good luck... and feel free to go to our web site and read some of the articles we have posted.

DyeTheSafeGuy

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Actually the $30 (and under) save that several of us use is a basic keyed lock. I've been using mine for over a year with no issues. These probably shouldn't be used for constant storage but they are fine for the occasional times when one needs to secure a firearm in you unattended vehicle. That way you aren't trusting the window glass to secure your weapon, nor are you trusting your OEM glove box.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=282585

A small gun shop owner I know mounted a GunVault in his van between the front seats.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I've never even entertained the thought of a safe in my vehicle being a police officer. I simply carry whenever and wherever I want all the time. Basically, I am the gun safe. ;)
Some good suggestions in here though----might look into it for my wife.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You know having the piece with you at all times is the safest place to keep it in my opinion. It just isn't possible for most of us though so I keep my well secured at home in a safe when it is not on my hip and the grandkids are around. I don't leave it for long periods in the car safe so a portable one is the best answer for me right at the present. When traveling in the motorhome I use the portable safe when I can't carry and at home I carry my medications (amongst other things I am insulin an dependant diabetic) at all times so I carry the safe in my med bag for when I go to the doctor or the hospital which usually is only an hour or two. In general I like to have it with me so I am in control of it but sometimes that isn't possible if I want to be legal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Grouchy Hippo:

Great points! This is why I recommended the "quick release" bolts for the Perma-Vault Handgun Safe. You can install the "quick release" bolts in your car, home, or RV and use the Handgun Safe as a portable safe as you said. All you have to do is carefully install the quick release bolts that Fastenal can sell you in each location. You only need to buy one handgun safe! Cool way to save money and have the flexability of moving the Handgun Safe to several different locations. The Perma-Vault has a carrying handle to make it even more convenient to move it around.

If you have to carry medications and your handgun, the Perma-Vault has enough room for both! PLUS, the Simplex Mechanical Lock is the most reliable lock you can get on a Handgun Safe. Far better than an electronic lock which will eventually fail due to the exposure to humidity and cold/hot weather changes that your vehicle will experience. Thanks for your excellent input.

DyeTheSafeGuy

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I really like the idea of quick release bolts. In fact, I removed one of the bolts from the cargo tie bracket to see what size it is so I can get or make some. They will be a far better solution than my wood block. They should give a much more flush interior installation. Great suggestion, DyeTheSafeGuy.

DyeTheSafeGuy said:
Far better than an electronic lock which will eventually fail due to the exposure to humidity and cold/hot weather changes that your vehicle will experience.
In defense of the digital lock, I don't know about other safes with digital locks, but mine also has keyed access if the batteries ever die or the electronics suffer a failure. I keep the key on my key ring. I can program the safe with any 3-8 digit combination of my choosing. My chosen combination can be entered and the door opened in one second, including by my wife who has very long fingernails. Fast access was a primary consideration for me. Five seconds is pretty good, but one second is better, IMO.

For complete specs, here is the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93575

If it ever goes on sale again for $19.99, I'll let the group know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Howdy folks, I figured it was time to register and post instead of just lurk. Hope you all had a good holiday too.

I use the same as Steelheart. I think it is a secure-it (namebrand) but definitely similar and I use the duel box for traveling as well. Gun in one, ammo in another, when neeeded. The nice thing about an Envoy is it has a few nifty hidden compartments to hid the safebox in. And the one with the gun stays upfront.(plus a little hidden spot for a mag upfront that doesn't actually lock but does have a "door" or lid.

A couple things.

First- I have purchased 3 of the larger sized boxes at local gunshows at the NRA booth. Each was 25.00 if not a member and 20.00 if you showed your card. If you joined the NRA it was only 10.00 or 15.00. Tax included.

Second- These boxes with cables are great for hotel rooms. I am a watch fanatic as well and am partial to Swiss made watches. All price ranges. Also, my wife gets LOTS of jewelry to compensate for all of MY toys. These are great for small in room safes when you're out for a while. It's a lot easier than dinking around with hotel safes if the safe is not "in-room" for the most part. You can always find something to anchor them to with the ample cable. If a thief puts the effort in to take it they would get it regardless if it is in your room.

These small portable boxes are great when visiting family also. We are starting to see our nieces and nephews have children now. Its an extra piece of mind but still relatively easily accessible should the need ever arise. PLUS it makes my wife more comfortable ( along with other family members) with the idea of a loaded gun around the little ones when we are visiting. We ALL know how much easier life is when your lady or man is happy.

Brizz

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
DyeTheSafeGuy, please check your PM's. There is a tab at the top of the screen labeled 'Messages' that will take you to them.

Thanks,
Nathan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts