Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife drives a 2008 Ford Fusion with their factory installed premium sound system. It includes a six CD player that, some months ago, decided that the CDs loaded in it were not there, and therefore cannot be played or removed. Since it is a device made mostly of plastic I suspect repair might not be the best option and that we would be better served with a replacement. Does anyone have experience with this problem? How can I get our CDs out, or is that best left to an audio technician? What audio stores, and make/model/brand player, would you recommend to install in place of it? We are not looking to spend a lot of money here, just an AM/FM/CD player with flash drive plug-in option. By the way, we decided some time ago to not subscribe to satellite radio and do not need that option.

Edit: I should have clarified in my when I wrote this post (when will I ever learn to write the draft, walk away, and come back to it an hour later?). The CD player/disc changer runs through all six stacks each time we turn the key on (we can hear it running) but says there are no CDs loaded. Won't play them, won't eject them. AM/FM/Bluetooth work just fine.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If it's anything like a CD/DVD drive in a PC there should be a pinhole next to the drawer that you can use a straightened paperclip to release it.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I don't know if you can get to the wiring harness to the changer, but if it unplugs from the unit sometimes you can unplug it, turn the key to ACC, and plug the connector back in the changer to hard reset the unit. Hard resets will usually force the unit to eject the cassette, but it won't help it work right again.

I just upgraded my radio in Regal I just bought a new Pioneer from Wal-Mart for $117, Bluetooth ready with a wired microphone that I mounted above the driver door, integrated subwoofer controls if you're into that, USB connection in front, iPhone and Android compatible. Multi-color display that's customizable in any colors of the rainbow.

For about $160 I bought the head unit, wiring harness, and bracket. If you're looking for something a little less costly, there's a few others there as well under $75 for the head unit. Brands aren't really that big of a deal breaker these days, Dual makes some pretty good quality stuff for a decent price, I actually have a set of their 10" subwoofers running on a 400 W Dual amplifier that sounds really good in there. I've had the speakers for years, but they were running on a Phoenix Gold amplifier that died recently. I bought the Dual amplifier for $60 this week, and so far so good. It's not quite as loud as the old one, but it does give a good clean bass the doesn't make my car sound like it's gonna vibrate apart. I'll take some pictures and toss it in here.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
In most cases you will have to remove the unit and then start the process of disassembly.
Take your time.
Try turning the motors by hand.
One of them should eject the disc(s).

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My Ford F-150 4x4 has the 6-disk player and it too quit suddenly but the radio would still work. I had to take the truck to the Ford dealer for another problem ( check engine light was on ) and I asked if they could take a look at that CD player too. The check engine light was a bad vacuum hose and the CD player was just a fuse, quick, easy and cheap just the way I like it....

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the same problem described in the OP. Have the unit replaced with the new unit you want. Get the old one from the tech who installed your new unit and disassemble the old one slowly. There will be multiple layers of the assembly, each with its own screws. After a while I was able to remove all six of my CDs; it was a minor PITA, but worth it to me. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
26,965 Posts
Darbo has it!

·
Super Moderator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL....nah not very interesting, just nothing a good shootin' won't fix. Maybe take it out of the dash first. ;)
Thanks, both of your ideas are good ones. Especially that last one. It seems, as of late, more and more I need to be reminded of what should be, and once was, an obvious point. ;)

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Here's the pictures as promised, the system is a big upgrade from the factory Delco AM/FM Cassette. I forgot to mention that the factory 6x9 speakers in the rear deck were blown, replaced them with a $35 pair of Scoche speakers also from Wal-Mart. I even wired the OEM connectors to the new speakers so I didn't have to cut the wiring in the trunk.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Pull it out and take it apart. You can always tell the CD Player that you "just wanted to see how it works."

My Dad: "Why the HE!! did you take this apart?"

Me at 9 or 10: "I just wanted to see how it worked"

MY Dad: "Well, what we now see is how it doesn't work."

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
LOL....nah not very interesting, just nothing a good shootin' won't fix. Maybe take it out of the dash first. ;)
I've shot old laptops and other electronics that have gone bad. That always makes me feel better.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
have you tried to disconnect the battery of the car and leave it for a few minutes. Some times a hard reset is about the only way to talk to electronics.

otherwise, look for the pin hole, or google the model of the player and the problem (would do that prior to the battery thing) someone else has had to have ran into this problem before. And i am sure you have tried this, but some times just holding down the eject button for a minute or 5 will do it

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
Yours is much newer so I can't say for sure but some players, as long as they have power, have an alternate method to eject discs. I had one crap out on me several years ago, it wouldn't play or eject the disc (it was a single player). While messing with it, I happened to push 2 buttons at the same time (can't recall which two) and the cd ejected. I thought it was a fluke but I mentioned it to a friend who installed them frequently and he said most of them are set up that way...like an emergency override. Years later, I had a home cd player that did the same thing and by holding in the Power and Eject buttons together, I retrieved the disc. If you search out the brand and model, you might find an alternate way to get them out.

Reactions: Montkun

·
Super Moderator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You own firearms right? ;)
Darbo, I owe you. Your post got me to thinking: Why in the world am I letting a car radio hold six of my wife's favorite CDs hostage, when I have 18 years of growing up on a farm, six years in the Air Force, more years as an aircraft and construction equipment mechanic in my past, and a tool box full of tools in my garage? The kidnapper didn't have a chance, time for a precision strike with overwhelming force.

I reviewed some YouTube videos and removed the radio assembly from the car to my work table. I removed the top cover of the unit, exposing the CDs. One by one I released the locks holding them in place and used some old o-ring tools to gently lift them out of their places. Each time I bent (destroyed) the plate under each one so I could get to the next CD. When I removed the last hostage I not-so-gently bent the plates back in place so I could put the top cover back. Reinstalled the radio in the Fusion, everything works except (DUH!) the CD player. Honestly, I'm surprised I let this situation go on so long, ought to be ashamed of myself.

My thanks to those who responded. As is usual at Taurus Armed, it was one of the humorous answers that clued me in on the solution. First round's on me, darbo. The six hostages are safely home, and there's a new entertainment assembly in the near future.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Our 2004 Tribute (Escape) is doing the same thing as well as nothing will show on the display. When I eventually sell it I plan on removing the stereo and prying into it enough to get them out. Hopefully it won't damage the radio portion.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Under warranty, file a claim.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Darbo, I owe you. Your post got me to thinking: Why in the world am I letting a car radio hold six of my wife's favorite CDs hostage, when I have 18 years of growing up on a farm, six years in the Air Force, more years as an aircraft and construction equipment mechanic in my past, and a tool box full of tools in my garage? The kidnapper didn't have a chance, time for a precision strike with overwhelming force.

I reviewed some YouTube videos and removed the radio assembly from the car to my work table. I removed the top cover of the unit, exposing the CDs. One by one I released the locks holding them in place and used some old o-ring tools to gently lift them out of their places. Each time I bent (destroyed) the plate under each one so I could get to the next CD. When I removed the last hostage I not-so-gently bent the plates back in place so I could put the top cover back. Reinstalled the radio in the Fusion, everything works except (DUH!) the CD player. Honestly, I'm surprised I let this situation go on so long, ought to be ashamed of myself.

My thanks to those who responded. As is usual at Taurus Armed, it was one of the humorous answers that clued me in on the solution. First round's on me, darbo. The six hostages are safely home, and there's a new entertainment assembly in the near future.
I'm laughing so hard! Glad to be of assistance. Now comes the fun part....anything smaller than 40 S&W is not acceptable! Photos/video will be appreciated.

During all of this I have in the back of my mind the thought that I own a 2002 Ranger with what I imagine is the same 6 disc CD changer! :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts