Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
60 yrs. old with a replaced left knee (X2) and the right needs an overhall.The B.G is threating me . Don't know if he is armed but I know I can't win a foot race or a fight with a younger more agile person.They have one hand in their "Hoodie" and they are coming at me talking about my family heritage. I've got my hand on the 709 , what do I do??

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would utter a loud verbal commad, GET BACK, COME NO CLOSER. I AM ARMED. All the while creating distance between me and him. And if the situation warrants it, I would pull my weapon and hold it at my waist and never loseing eye contact. It a personal decision to stand your ground or seek an exit. I would exit the area if possible. If I was truly in fear of my life, and the BG keep escalation the action, and I could not excape; considering the chioce of me living or him living, I choose me. I'd do what is necessaryfor me.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Holler "STOP, SHOW ME YOUR HANDS" with your non gun hand thrust forward palm out. Then if he continues to approach "I'VE GOT A GUN AND WILL SHOOT YOU IF YOU GET ANY CLOSER". This way if there are witnesses around you have made your intentions clear.

Someone with no ill intent will either stop or back away on the first command.

Keep you gun hand on your gun through all of this and watching him for any intent to draw.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
There is a saying; You don't mess with the Old Guy; He's too old to run, too old to fight, he will just kill you and be done with it. I learned this from a neighbor who was a retired police officer when I was a kid I was being bullied by two big punks and the neighbor saw it and told them to leave me alone.
One of the punks told him to but out or they would kick his ass. He looked at them and said "boys
I am too old to run and too old to fight, I will just kill you where you are." They left me alone and that's
where I first heard that saying. And thank you Mr. Reed.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
There is a saying; You don't mess with the Old Guy; He's too old to run, too old to fight, he will just kill you and be done with it.
That's about the size of it, alright! ;)

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I would utter a loud verbal commad, GET BACK, COME NO CLOSER. I AM ARMED. All the while creating distance between me and him. And if the situation warrants it, I would pull my weapon and hold it at my waist and never loseing eye contact. It a personal decision to stand your ground or seek an exit. I would exit the area if possible. If I was truly in fear of my life, and the BG keep escalation the action, and I could not excape; considering the chioce of me living or him living, I choose me. I'd do what is necessaryfor me.
This is the "proper" way to handle the situation, and what you would be taught in a self defense class, and how it should be handled. That said, my gut reaction would be to blow his a$$ away!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
60 yrs. old with a replaced left knee (X2) and the right needs an overhall.The B.G is threating me . Don't know if he is armed but I know I can't win a foot race or a fight with a younger more agile person.They have one hand in their "Hoodie" and they are coming at me talking about my family heritage. I've got my hand on the 709 , what do I do??
I would personally favor a shotgun, but after fair warning, if you life or the life of loved ones is in imminent danger, then you do what you have to do.......

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
~"There is a saying; You don't mess with the Old Guy; He's too old to run,too old to fight, he will just kill you and be done with it."~

Verbal warning...."Yo mama".....If the ignorant `Bad Guy` attacks....that will be his choice....

·
Super Moderator
21,581 Posts
Remeber where there is one there is two and if two then three so be careful backing up into another BG. I still say stand your ground.

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I agree with much of what others have written. Don't want to get caught up in a spiral of details in a hypothetical -- distance to BG, other options available, etc. One point of caution is I would personally try to avoid menioning "death", "die", "kill you", or other similar words. They might be used in court to establish intent. I was taught that the only acceptable intent is to stop/neutralize the threat. I am not an attorney, but feel there is no need to expose yourself to unnecessary risks by using the wrong words.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I know this was "tongue in cheek". Hopefully the original poster does as well.

The throw-away gun will get you in serious trouble....really serious.
NOW you tell me!

:D

Of course it was tongue in cheek. Nowadays, anyway. :rolleyes:
(Yes, the last part was in jest, too. I was always on the up and up.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with much of what others have written. Don't want to get caught up in a spiral of details in a hypothetical -- distance to BG, other options available, etc. One point of caution is I would personally try to avoid menioning "death", "die", "kill you", or other similar words. They might be used in court to establish intent. I was taught that the only acceptable intent is to stop/neutralize the threat. I am not an attorney, but feel there is no need to expose yourself to unnecessary risks by using the wrong words.
I very much agree-- instead yell something along the lines of "i am armed. if you attack me I will shoot you"

IMO this is a last ditch resort after all other options including running for cover/safety, or if not physically able to--drawing as much attention to the situation as possible.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer so don't take this as legal advise

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was just trying to get a good discussion started ,which. I think has happened.This is just a
what if.My wife says I'd try to talk them into going for a beer.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
If you cannot physically run to escape, turning your back on an assailant is tantamount to suicide. So, in your case would be attempting unarmed combat, especially is there is more than one assailant. In this scenario, the legal term "disparity of force" comes into play. Massad Ayoob spends time describing it, so you can Google the term, and learn of it. Basically, it removes the worry about "just enough force" being used against you.

Warn the attacker(s) that you are armed, and command them to stop approaching you. Display the weapon if they are within 20 feet of you. A man with a knife can easily reach you before you can draw your weapon inside that distance. If he, or they, make any furtive movements, challenge them again, while presenting the pistol to them, and be ready to fire. At the first sign of a weapon, you should defend yourself with lethal force. Take the presenter first, then cover anyone else until they leave. Call 911, and ask for police and medical help, and maintain a vigil against further assaults. DO NOT let the others approach their friend, as they will remove the weapon. Tell them that touching the weapon will result in your shooting them, as they are now displaying a weapon.

Prior to this scenario playing out, make noise, asking any passer-by to call 911. People who won't become involved will usually call 911.

The entire idea is to be able to return home without injury. How many people are hurt, or killed, isn't up to you, it's up to the assailants.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
It's a tough question , here we have the duty to retreat , then there's extenuating circumstances , ability to retreat which seems to be a grey area and open to judgement. Then there's the aspect of using like force , if there was a weapon displayed or the physical size of the aggressor deemed deadly force necessary. It seems to be totally situational so there's no clear cut RIGHT answer, you would have to way all factors in an instant and make a choice that could have life changing results.
It a huge responsibility for sure.

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
I do not have a concealed weapons permit. I have had training, many years ago in carrying a handgun, to protect someone. I realize, that over the years, thinking has changed, as has mine. I was once in a situation where I had to use a gun to protect someones life. It worked.
I would like to think that if I became involved in a situation where weapons were involved, I would give the BG warning before I opened fire.... NOBODY KNOWS the answer to this until it happens. NOBODY KNOWS if they would turn tail and run if a gun was pointed at them. We know what we would like to do....."when the battle is joined the first thing that goes out the window...is the plan!"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts