Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Fire Sights today, got the Heinie front sight off, can't budge the rear at all, broke the Allen Wrench that came with the gun, and I have a couple that seem to fit but just twist in there. Frustrating, I'm going to my father-in-laws tomorrow, he was a millwright for 30 years, and confident he can get it off whether it be drilling it out or worse. I've seen posts about how easy these are to install and I'm jealous, lol. :mad::D

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
It is a 2mm hex size. Just make sure you have a good one without any rounded ends. Also, you may need to apply a little heat to it. It is more than likely Loctited in place. Once you get it to unscrew, take it out as far as you can. It sits down in a machined groove under the site and if the set screw isn't out far enough, it will never clear the groove. You may need to tap the site out of the groove. I just used a piece of nylon as a punch in case I want to use them again

·
Registered
696 Posts
What ccviper said, especially about applying heat to it. Use a pencil type soldering iron to heat the screw for a couple seconds to release the Loctite. Some have used a hair dryer with some success.
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't get it done, I heated it with a soldering gun, bought a new set of metric wrenches, tried SAE wrenches, took it to a gun shop......I'm at a loss, and getting sorta pissed off.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Some times a TORX bit (that fits a screwdriver handle so you can get a really good grip) of the correct size can be tapped in with a mallet and the offending fastener can be taken out. the screw will be junk though.hope that may help. it has got me out of a pickle a few times

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I installed Fire Sights on both my PT145's. The first went flawlessly but I stripped the front set screw on my second installation.

I ended up going to Lowe's and buying a screw extractor and it worked very well.

I offer this as just another option.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
32 Posts
I heated mine with a lighter and it broke loose with a GOOD allen wrench. I also broke my wrench that come with the gun. That thing was worthless.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
If you have stripped the screw the next step is the extractor (IMHO) - been there, done that. It seems like there is a fine line (like a knife edge) with many firearm parts. Due to the nature of the beast it must be set well and tight - if not it falls off. Go over the line and this is where you end up. FWIW I've had great luck using Alden Pro Grabit IF they make a unit small enough for this application.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
If you have stripped the screw the next step is the extractor (IMHO) - been there, done that. It seems like there is a fine line (like a knife edge) with many firearm parts. Due to the nature of the beast it must be set well and tight - if not it falls off. Go over the line and this is where you end up. FWIW I've had great luck using Alden Pro Grabit IF they make a unit small enough for this application.
I agree.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yup, mine wouldn't budge either. Tried heat, Kroil, good quality wrench, tapping, acetone. I finally cut the damn thing with a Dremel cut off wheel to put a deep groove in the top and then used a brass drift to tap it out. Ruined the sight but got it out without marring the slide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rear sight screw was impossible to remove. Soaked it for a day w/PB Blaster, then applied heat; first from a soldering iron (no dice) and finally from a big grill lighter. Finally broke it loose but even then the damn thing turned out hard. It's important to remember that you want to heat the sight, not the screw, because heat causes expansion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wound up drilling my allen screw as large as I could without ruining the threads, then just drove it out from the side. This sheared off the bottom, drilled remainder of the allen set screw but it came off without ruining the site. The area underneath was a oval shaped groove that the allen set screw could be moved in from one side to the other until the red loctite they used set up.I then cleaned all the red ,hard loctite out of the oval area and installed the fire site. It's set screws engage on both sides and not in the center area. The front site came out OK.

PS~ I changed them because I couldn't see the dots on the Tiny Heinie site anyway. Just small and black at my age. The fire sites are a vast improvement for me. YMMV

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wound up drilling my allen screw as large as I could without ruining the threads, then just drove it out from the side. This sheared off the bottom, drilled remainder of the allen set screw but it came off without ruining the site. The area underneath was a oval shaped groove that the allen set screw could be moved in from one side to the other until the red loctite they used set up.I then cleaned all the red ,hard loctite out of the oval area and installed the fire site. It's set screws engage on both sides and not in the center area. The front site came out OK.

PS~ I changed them because I couldn't see the dots on the Tiny Heinie site anyway. Just small and black at my age. The fire sites are a vast improvement for me. YMMV
This is what I am trying to do also..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got it off, I drilled out the screw with a 2mm bit, and bumped the sight out with a hammer and punch. Had to sandpaper the fire sight, and it's in there. I just need to get some lock tight and I should be good to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked up my DPMS Oracle and went to the range yesterday. In all the fun I had with that I forgot to post about firing the 140 with the firesights, It works a lot better I was closer to the center of the target, I just need to lock tight them down and adjust them a bit and I should be all good to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts