Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite what I thought was lots of 1911 experience, I can't get the slide stop lever out of my Taurus PT1911 AR .38 Super. It may have a round in the chamber.

The slide will only move far enough to move the trigger back about 1/4 of the way. The trigger seems to be locked as it won't go to fully cocked. Thus, the slide won't move far enough to ever get to the takedown relief cut to pull out the slide stop. I also can not get the safety to move. The alternative may be to use a thin file and cut the back off of the slide stop. I've tried removing the barrel bushing and spring and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?Thanks for your help for a newby!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Not sure but some pictures might give some of our experts a better idea.

Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Can a mod with access to this section, & Taurus Product Problems, merge these threads?
Same topic/info.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Is it possible the Taurus safety system might have partially engaged? I think their 1911 has the same system and key as the rest, it would not be the first time it has caused someone problems.

Reactions: RichO and btleslie

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Despite what I thought was lots of 1911 experience, I can't get the slide stop lever out of my Taurus PT1911 AR .38 Super. It may have a round in the chamber.

The slide will only move far enough to move the trigger back about 1/4 of the way. The trigger seems to be locked as it won't go to fully cocked. Thus, the slide won't move far enough to ever get to the takedown relief cut to pull out the slide stop. I also can not get the safety to move. The alternative may be to use a thin file and cut the back off of the slide stop. I've tried removing the barrel bushing and spring and it doesn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help for a newby!
Duplicate thread here: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...n-t-remove-slide-stop-pt1911-ar-38-super.html

·
Registered
25,037 Posts
Look fro the little notch that the slide stop will come through. line that up with with the slide stop and push from the opposite side. it should come out with a little push to the left.

·
Registered
34,151 Posts
First of all, move the gun to a safe area and keep it pointed away from yourself and others. Call Taurus Customer Service and get some help from them in getting your gun unloaded and working again. Do not try and force it or fix it with a live round in the chamber. If you can remove the magazine, please do so. If it won't drop, just leave it and call fro help.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
you can drop a pencil or something down the barrel, mark how far it goes in and then compare it to the outside of the barrel to see if there is a round in the chamber. If it is loaded you would definately want to know. After you check the Safety system you might be able to place the front of the slide just below the sight against the edge of a work bench or other non marring surface and push the gun against it to try and rack the slide.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds to me like the Taurus security lock is on. The slide will move enough to push the hammer to half-cock.

Can you post a picture with a top view of the hammer section?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.