Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i have had a PT145 for over two years now i bought it new and right off the bat i would look down the sights and not be able to hit anything not i know i can hit a great many things with my s&w j frame and was thinking maybe im looking at my sights wrong so i got a bore sight and i moved the sights to there but its still off plez help with the advice if you have any thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
i had the same problem with mine
thought it was me had a range officer and a friend try it same problem
the range officer tried doing a little adjustment didnt do any good
dont have any good advise if you trade it in then it would be someone elses problem

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Maybe your like me, I couldn't get used to the straight eights. So I put some williams fire sights on, and everything was great after.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would like to enjoy the fact that I get to help out twice in one day here, being new and all.

Read the THREAD posted by Harley. But I can paraphrase it for you.
With my PT 745 I was putting them in the dirt. IT was sooo bad I gave Taurus a jingle and was hours from shipping it to Taurus before I realized my mistake. Problem was not the weapon, it was the user. The easiest way to see the proper picture for you gun (there is some varience) is to CLEAR YOUR WEAPON, go find a mirror and aim. Adjust aim using hte mirror and barrel (you should be able to "look down it"). Check the sight picture. What you should see is the following: Front Dot (not post) covering target, rear sight bottom is lined up with the front of the slide.

What I have found is the Heinie sight is a terrible target sight, but.. then again it is a COMBAT SIGHT. It is much faster on target than the comparable 3-dot, but is not as "precise". Try this, draw your weapon on the next range trip, drop the front dot on the target and fire. Don't wait. Just draw, put that dot on the target and let it go. You should hit black every time. I found the sight to be the fastest damn sight I ever used. But it penalizes you for over thinking it. The longer I try to work on getting "perfect sight picture" the worse I shot. If I just used point and shoot, it was a damn fine sight and far better than any point and shoot I have ever used. Dot goes on target, fire. Proper grip and trigger control take care of the rest. With the correct grip and wrist geometry (should be natural) your rear sight should be aligned correctly by default. That front sight is your guide, queue, and POI.

If you are training to shoot paper and bullseye competition, ditch those sights.
If you are training to save your life keep em.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If you are training to shoot paper and bullseye competition, ditch those sights.

If you are training to save your life keep em.
Excellent post, Argos, and I'd say you summed it all up rather nicely. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts