Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been all over this town trying to find wheel weights and somebody else already has a deal set up with the shops. I know this sounds crazy but has anybody ever tried a junk yard to see if they would let you get their wheel weights?? If so what kind of price do you offer them?? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Calvin

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yeah, many recyclers ( wrecking yards ) buy those used wheel weights from the tire dealers and they will sell them to you at market ( scrap ) value....

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
New Lyman #2 alloy is about $2.07/lb at Missouri Bullet Company or $2.88/lb at Roto-Metals. New wheel weights are about $2.75/lb. Scrap wheel weights are going for about $1.05 - $1.06 spot price. Try some scrap yards. That spot price is as of today. If you could get them for $1.35, that would be good, too. We used to get them for free. I pick them up on the street for nothing if the traffic isn't heavy.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
New Lyman #2 alloy is about $2.07/lb at Missouri Bullet Company or $2.88/lb at Roto-Metals. New wheel weights are about $2.75/lb. Scrap wheel weights are going for about $1.05 - $1.06 spot price. Try some scrap yards. That spot price is as of today. If you could get them for $1.35, that would be good, too. We used to get them for free. I pick them up on the street for nothing if the traffic isn't heavy.
Was that you that got caught mooning oncoming motorists?:icon_ rofl:

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Copied from a previous post:

Go to the Plumbers and Roofers in your area and ask them to save your the lead pipe and flashing that they tear out of older buildings. I also get lead from a few General Contractors that do work in the hospitals and Dr.'s Offices and tear out old Xray rooms. Most of this will be pure lead so it will be soft and you may need to add some tin or antimony if using it for loads over 900 fps. You can also add wheel weights to harden it up. I always offer to pay scrap prices and to come to them to haul it off so most of them call me when they get enough to make it worth my time. Nice thing is most of them just save it and give it to me for free. I always remember these guys at Xmas and maybe take them to lunch.
Just a few helpful ideas for us lead scroungers.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sometimes I've come across some good buys on e-bay. Already melted and cleaned into ingots shipped for about $1 a pound. I've also picked up some Linotype fairly cheap. Tin......not so much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you looked into the service departments of any new car dealerships?I've worked at 2 dealers the past 23 years,and all of the lead went into a bucket,then the trash,until I started casting.Take your vehicle in for a tire rotation or oil change and ask if you can get a box of old weights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good ideas guys. I checked with the dealerships but nobody will give me an answer.

Thanks a lot guys

Calvin

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice thing about having my shop next to a tire shop, I have about 60 pounds in ingots and about another 20 pounds to melt. Watch the wheel weights, a lot of them are zinc. Zinc melts at a higher temp then lead, so it isn't hard to figure out. Just make sure if you are paying for them they are in fact lead. Easy way to tel is with a pocket knife, it will shave lead easy but not zinc.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
It's been a while since I bought any, so not sure of the price, but if you have a dive shop in your area, I believe uncoated dive
weights would work well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
shame you don't live in my neck of the woods or we could make a deal. Like I give you lead and you make some rounds for me. I manage a repair facility so wheel weights are a plenty.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Before you balk at Roto's prices do remember that's for good clean lead that won't be filled with dirt and other crud. I plan on buying from Roto as soon as I run out of scrap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts