Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off Hello and Thank you to everyone in advance for your opinions. After much research i have decided that i like the taurus 92/100. I am torn between the diffrent models. I want to use this gun for target shooting and SD. I am more concerned about accuracy over "stopping power". My question is, is there a big diffrence in accuracy between the two diffrent calibers? The least expensive I have found so far is. $379+$27 transfer fee for the pt 99 and $419 for the pt100. so price wise it seems about even both of those guns are in blue coloring although id prefer Ss although that seem like at least $50 more. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I vote the 99. Adjustable sights and 9mm ammo (a little cheaper to shoot). But keep in mind I'm prejudice, I own one and will wind up with another 99 in less than a year from now.

And welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I like the PT99. It's my favorite and most accurate pistol.
DSC_0217.jpg

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I agree with gajoe. In fact, I am similarly prejudiced.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am partial to the PT99, as it is my smoothest shooting most accurate gun. However with that being said CDNN has the PT100 / 101 on sale for $349 and $359 respectively. See page 7 of the attached add. I have not shot the 40 caliber version but I hear it is smooth as well but the ammo will cost you more.

CDNN Sports, Inc 2012-1 Catalog

·
Administrator
18,081 Posts
I vote PT92, as 9mm ammo will cost you a lot less than .40 .

My PT92 has been, and still is, a great handgun, since 1992, when I bought it! Some 23,000 very trouble-free rounds downrange.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I'll throw in a vote for the PT92.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that info on the sale thats the best price yet. I saw that taurus 1911 38 super as well now I have to do my research on that as well

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
The price on the 1911 in the Super 38 is a real tempting pistol. I mean the 1911 people have almost formed a real world cult with their love for this pistol the 1911. Of course another Cult in the Taurus world is going to be the lovers of the Pt92 thru Pt101.

Now, my opinion would be go with the Pt-92 or Pt99 first. You mentioned not being concerned with stopping power, but more for target practice. 9mm ammo will run about 30% less than that of the .40s&w or Super .38 rounds. Also, I could easily see another 9mm pistol in your future, if that were to turn out to be the case, you can stick with one size ammo and buy in bulk for additional savings. If you go with the .38 Super, chances of buying another gun in that caliber would be pretty slim, simply based on the number of fire arms offered in that size.
Another plus for the PT-92/99 is the number of rounds that the magazine will hold over that of the 1911. And one last point that I don't think anyone here on the forum would say, but the greatest number of 1911 owners do and will believe that the only true 1911 pistol will be a .45 caliber.

Just a few thoughts to ponder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
PT99. You want to target shoot, adjustable sights will get you there. Self defense, 9 mm hollow points. It will hit hard and tend not to go through without little damage. 9mm is a standardized military round so you can shoot cheaper because it is made a lot. If you go with the PT99 get Hogue grips.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Kind of an interesting thing here of late. In the past the adjustable site versions of the PT92/99 and PT100/101 pistols were more expensive to purchase. However more recent prices has shown that some dealers are selling the adjustable sited pistols for less than that of the the fixed sites. I guess the casual shooter may prefer the sites being set at the factory period and not having to try to set and reset for different ammo and shooting conditions. Kind of like buying a camera...auto focus does have its simple benifits to offer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think im going to pass on the 38 super i dont want a caliber i cant go down to walmart and pick up a box as working there has its perks. i figure that the 9mm version might have less kick then the .40 which might lead to better accuracy.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
And yet another follow up as a suggestion. If you are open to looking another route, look for a PT911, PT909, PT917 model pistol. These are all 9mm all metal pistols which are now out of production. These are great guns that offer high capasity magazines, all metal construction, but are extreemly light. Much smaller over all than the PT92/101 models, making them a great option should you ever need a conceal carry weapon. The 911 can be found more easy than the others I mentioned and in the $347 in black to $380 range for stainless.
If any of these models appeal to you, this would be the time to pick one up while there are still a few NIB to be had. The PT92/101 models will be around forever...even after the poly guns take over the market even bigger than they already have.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
PT99. You want to target shoot, adjustable sights will get you there. Self defense, 9 mm hollow points. It will hit hard and tend not to go through without little damage. 9mm is a standardized military round so you can shoot cheaper because it is made a lot. If you go with the PT99 get Hogue grips.
Great advice, roamer1234. I was going to say this, but you did it first.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gotta go PT99. I have the PT92 and PT99 and I really like the adjustable sights on the 99. The 9mm ammo much cheaper than 40 cal. I use 147 grain hollow points for the home and they pack a punch. IMHO, youc an't go wrong with the PT99 and there are some great prices to be found. I think you already have!
:gotmyvote:

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
And yet another follow up as a suggestion. If you are open to looking another route, look for a PT911, PT909, PT917 model pistol. These are all 9mm all metal pistols which are now out of production. These are great guns that offer high capasity magazines, all metal construction, but are extreemly light. Much smaller over all than the PT92/101 models, making them a great option should you ever need a conceal carry weapon. The 911 can be found more easy than the others I mentioned and in the $347 in black to $380 range for stainless.
If any of these models appeal to you, this would be the time to pick one up while there are still a few NIB to be had. The PT92/101 models will be around forever...even after the poly guns take over the market even bigger than they already have.
I've got the 917c - and would recommend it to anyone because of the beneficial aspects you state. It is still a little on the large size for a carry piece (depending on rig and dress), but I'd feel very safe with this type of gun on my persons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i like the larger framed pistols/1911 style. Plus the 99/101 have the 5" barrel which i feel would have greater accuracy over the compact pistols.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The larger frame is easier to control when you are first starting out. I shot a millennium .45 a friend had and it was hard to control. Rifleshooter; I tried to keep it short and sweet. Why draw things out?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I am a big fan of the .40 S&W, and if I were going to buy one of the pistols mentioned, I would likely opt for the PT100 or maybe the 101 if I decided that the adjustable sights were useful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll go with the PT-92. No adjustable sights to mess with. If you are just target shooting go with the 100.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts