1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I have a green tin of 440 Bulgarian ammo, and my understanding is that it's all corrosive unless it specifically says that it's not.....for example, Wolf and S&B state on their commercial 7.62x54r that its non-corrosive. Other than examples like this, all of the military stuff would very likely be corrosive.

When you shoot it, open the breech and let water run down the barrel from a garden hose, then pour Windex (with ammonia) down the barrel, and wait a couple of minutes, then run water down the barrel again. Then, you're ready to clean it like you would any rifle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The last word in the descrption from CTD says says corrosive. Which is no big deal, just follow what texastaurusguy, solves the problem.

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
When you shoot it, open the breech and let water run down the barrel from a garden hose, then pour Windex (with ammonia) down the barrel, and wait a couple of minutes, then run water down the barrel again. Then, you're ready to clean it like you would any rifle.
SORRY, caveat here...... wait until the rifle cools first! On one of the Moisin sites they had a guy that fired 200 rounds...poor shoulder) washed his rifle and warped it!

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
SORRY, caveat here...... wait until the rifle cools first! On one of the Moisin sites they had a guy that fired 200 rounds...poor shoulder) washed his rifle and warped it!
Yep, I sure would too.....thats why I said a garden hose, because typically you wouldn't be cleaning it that way until you got home. ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
Yep, I sure would too.....thats why I said a garden hose, because typically you wouldn't be cleaning it that way until you got home. ;)
Sorry, TTG that one went past me...but my range has a hose for use.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never claimed to be bright after a Saturday evening of beer, booze and pizza. Wait....was that pizza or chee-tos? Heck, I don't remember.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Pretty much if it says surplus it is corrosive. Wolf and Bear have new non-corrosive berdan primed ammo and Privi-Partisan has boxer primed, brass cased ammo that I am shooting to use the cases for reloads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts