Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't it be great if people left their treasured phones turned off during family gatherings ? Those things have replaced family. I recall a time when the family got together and actually conversed - kids could carry on a conversation, and everyone caught up with all the goings on of other family members. Now, within seconds of arriving, their nose is stuck in a phone for their entire visit, without any awareness of others in the room. Thank goodness my wife and I aren't addicted to the thing.

·
Registered
962 Posts
To be fair, years ago, everything wasn't posted on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter. You might have seen family roll up in a new ride, that's a conversation, you might ask family what they did all year, that's a conversation, you might ask about an old somebody you haven't seen in ages. Now days, all that stuff is posted instantly. I don't personally post that much on Facebook. I have it but rarely post anything on it. I find it entertaining. However, some of my friends you know the second they have a car accident, (yes, I mean the second. One had a car wreck and before the police showed up there was pictures on Facebook. I know this because I was listening to the scanner and then got a notification on my phone.) Anything that happens they have it on Facebook, full story, I mean the whole concept of "bringing people together" with the internet and social media has in a sense separated us from actual interaction. It's only going to get worse with younger and younger kids having access to it, it's a system that will cause human interaction to implode on itself and it's already showing in todays society. I leave my phone in the car half the time and it drives my wife crazy.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I can also.

At EVERY family gathering, and even at other get togethers I and my family host, I and my family have a rule that ALL cell phones are to be turned to "silent" mode and placed in a container as you enter, and you will be given a specified time that you can go to your phone, otherwise you will be engaged in conversation with the others at the gathering. Comments on this have ranged from "great idea" to some that are not postable on this forum.

And yes, I do get perturbed going to someone else's gathering, and seeing others staring at their cellphones instead of engaging with others at the gathering. Makes me want to smack them upside their head and say, "Gee, if you had your head out of your phone, you would have had the situational awareness to protect yourself from that smack upside the head".

Reactions: darbo and Brian845

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Actually often I dream of a time when there were no cell phone, internet, and social media. Yes, I would miss out on a lot of information, but my grandkids would learn more about the world outside of electronic gaming and social/non-social/non-face2face communications via wireless devices.

Society needs to be more hands on and electronics off. Of course this is just my observation and take.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
I don't have to imagine, I just remember.

I can remember sending my wife on car trips to visit friends and/or family and having to show her how to use the ham radio in case of emergency. I remember having trouble on the highway and having to flag someone down to get a ride in to town. I remember having to trudge through the snow/mud/whatever to make it home when something broke down in the field.

I'll stick with the modern conveniences of being able to contact my loved ones anytime, anywhere, or being able to get help anytime, anywhere.

Just remember, when you're sitting at the Christmas table and the conversation turns to a topic of distaste, I'll be scanning the new posts on TA.net while you're wishing you had your cell phone!

·
17,585 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Last time I went to a family gettogether, the only people not on giggling over a cell during our dinner was my daughter and I. After thanking my nephew for the fine meal & dessert, daughter and I got up and left without being noticed. I'll never go to another reunion.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes please.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I remember when there were no phones period. Well, rich folks had them. I remember back then- if something happened or someone died folks would go to the nearest store that had a phone and ask them to call some business close to where the message was to be sent and tell them the news and ask them to get the message to the intended target.
I remember a man driving up to our home and telling my mom that someone had died. When dad got home, we loaded up in the car and went and told other family members. Thats the way it was.
We got out first phone in 1958. Once the word got out- all the neighbors would come and ask to use our phone when emergencies arose.
Life was a little more simple back in those days..........back in that day- Roy Rogers and Lash Larue were our heros.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I have to have the damn thing for business purposes but I've left it at work more times than my wife will let me forget. It never intrudes on family time or with friends, and I most likely use about a tenth of one percent of its capabilities, which is fine with me.

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
The only cell phone use allowed is for pictures, and that is only during specific times! Nobody is allowed to use their phones period!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,498 Posts
I have a cell phone, not an iphone but one of those stone age flip phones that is only a phone. I haven't seen it for a year or so, at least...:unsure:...absolutely no idea where it might be.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Yes I can. And I will. Sometimes there are advantages to not having family to deal with those things.

I will be at my friends house on Christmas day. We will hang out, eat too much food, talk a bunch, his brother might actually call him, and then I'll come home. Quiet simplicity.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Why yes, yes I can.......................

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Actually YES I can I have been shutting off my cell for 10/12 hour blocks at a time HOW PEACEFUL you all will never know I used to have to have it on 24/7 work demanded it 18 years of hoop jumping at the behest of a cell phone I no longer have to do it turned in my supervisor hat got a $0.50 RAISE had to move to different site no positions where I was I ended up .8 of a mile from MY HOUSE YEAH REAL HEART BREAKING ...Site I was at about 8 months ago has had 4 supervisors I can not tell how many guards in/out Office has called Wanting me back in last time I actually talked to them about it told them my price for doing so and I wanted it in writing BEFORE they move me David Hung Up on me. MMMMMMMMMMM wonder what that means???? hahahahahhahaahahahhahahah

·
21,971 Posts
Not only can I imagine it, I know for a fact that it made for a pretty good episode of Rick and Morty. Not the best, but certainly pretty good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve been a heating and air technician all my life. And when I started out , you politely asked if you could borrow the phone to call the office for next call or parts or to check in. Now I can’t imagine being without WiFi in my van , able to look up tech manual or just stay in touch with the office. Social media is a part our lives. Stay in touch or get buried in the dust. Can’t say I like it, but even the coyotes adapt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts