Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a chance to buy a Tanfoglio Witness for a good price and even though a Tanfoglio was not even on my horizon a gun is a gun and a deal is a deal so I bought it. I think this may be an older gun simply because it shows EAA in Hialeah, Florida.

As far as I can tell the gun is finished in matte brushed stainless. It look as though the slide may have been polished at one time. I don't know, any opinions?

I believe it is a CZ 75 clone. I have two CZ 75s both new and unfired. One is blued and the other is high polish nickel or stainless. I picked them up separately at good prices but because I really had no interest in them I just put them away. This brings me to the Tanfoglio....

The gun is a bit heavy. Not uncomfortable heavy, more like 1911 heavy. It seems well made and everything is tight with a comfortable trigger. The gun is hefty and being double stacked fills my hand nicely. Once again, 1911 nicely. I plan on shooting it in the morning.

Is there a conversion barrel to .40 S&W available? Anything else I should be aware of with this gun?

Don

20191101_090845.jpg

20191101_085102.jpg

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You will need more than a barrel, but a slide and new recoil springs as well. EAA sells conversions kits, but they are a little pricey. EBay is you best bet. Also, it depends upon large frame vs regular.

Go to their website and look up the magazine check. It will give you the year of manufacture. I think anything made after 2005 is large frame. I have 4 of them. one 10mm, 2 .45 ACP, and one 9mm.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
What you have is an early small Frame EAA Witness which is a Series 88 Pattern Tanfoglio Pistol, finished in matte Industrial Hard Chrome, which was the alternate finish of the day.
It appears to be in NRA Very Good to Excellent Condition and a very desirable Pistol, in my opinion.
Note that current small Frame EAA Witness and Cz75B Magazines will work in this Pistol.
My recommendation is for the current Mec-Gar Cz75B 17 and 19 round Magazines.

A .40 S&W Conversion for the Tanfoglio Small Frame Pistols would be in order, but due to tolerance changes made in the 2004/2005 production period, may require extensive fitting, and EAA might require you to send your Pistol in for such fitting.

My recommendation is to shoot and enjoy your new-to-you Witness, as it is.

I've had a long and very happy association with the Tanfoglio Cz Clones and I trust that you will enjoy yours, as well.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
BangBang I have one almost just like it in black and it is a 45acp. It is my pride and joy right next to my Taurus PT92C. I like the Witness so much I keep a lookout for a 9mm Witness Compact to go along with the 45.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
BangBang I have one almost just like it in black and it is a 45acp. It is my pride and joy right next to my Taurus PT92C. I like the Witness so much I keep a lookout for a 9mm Witness Compact to go along with the 45.
The .45 Witness Pistols are truly excellent and my favorite Pistols in .45 ACP!

1992 .45 Witness
2005 .45 Witness in Wonder/Tennifer Finish
2013 SAR K2-45

I also recommend the small Frame Tanfoglio Compacts in 9mm.
The Series 88 TA90 Compact shown below has been exceptionally accurate and reliable.

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
Nice acquisition! I would have been hard pressed to skip that purchase. Let us know what you think after you give it a work out.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Hind sight is 20/20.

I was I'd bought the Tanfogio 9mm's back in the early 80's when they were going for $200-$250 in my neck of the woods. Their fit and finish was flawless plus reliability and accuracy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts