Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some Hornady TAP ammo the other day. They won't see any use until the hamburgler pays me a midnight visit, or should they not enter my gun at all?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does the weight of the projectile have any effect on the pressure created by a +P load?

I received my 1911 as a gift with 2 boxes of ammo. American Eagle 230 gr fmj and Hornady +P 200 gr XTP.

I was told the American Eagle are for practice and the Hornady were for defense. What difference should I expect in these rounds from a shooting aspect?

Thanks!

Thom

·
Registered
16,283 Posts

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Generally, within a given caliber and shooting standard or +P loads, the manufacture maintains the same pressure regardless of weight of bullet. The heavier bullets will be considerably slower to maintain either a standard or +P pressure range.

My statement is not saying that standard and +P pressures are the same.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
Picked up some Hornady TAP ammo the other day. They won't see any use until the hamburgler pays me a midnight visit, or should they not enter my gun at all?
To each his/her own but the very, very last bullet that i would have in a self defense weapon is one that i had not throughly tested for function in the particular weapon.
I doubt if the hamburglar is going to wait for you to clear a jam before whacking on your head, or shooting you with his stolen Raven MP-25 that has FMJ's in it.!

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
Does the weight of the projectile have any effect on the pressure created by a +P load?

I received my 1911 as a gift with 2 boxes of ammo. American Eagle 230 gr fmj and Hornady +P 200 gr XTP.

I was told the American Eagle are for practice and the Hornady were for defense. What difference should I expect in these rounds from a shooting aspect?

Thanks!

Thom
Certainly it does, and it doesn't matter whether its plus p or standard loading!
to keep pressures in check then the round is loaded to less density (less powder) with heavier projectile, lighter rounds are loaded heavier, so the lighter the round the more velocity, the heavier the round the less velocity.
Velocity equals energy, weight = penetration, go middle of the road weights and typically you get the best of both worlds.
the difference in the plus p is going to be more muzzle blast, more recoil, longer back on target for the followup shot, and if not an exerienced shooter likely some jerking and flinching after the first shot.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Olfahore, that's when I think the gun can benefit from a EGW small radius firing pin stop seeing as it slows down the slide travel if used in combination with a 23 lbs. main spring.

Cuban

1 - 8 of 8 Posts