Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that there have been four types of sights used in Taurus autos.

• The PT92/PT100 rear sights are pretty much their own design. Also, newer PT92/PT100 rear sights are now made of Plastic. The 1911 rear sights might fit the PT92/PT100 series, but I doubt they would fit PT900 series, unless you got SuperSight versions that have a backward hang over the rear of the Slide.

• All of the PT900 Rear Sights are the same. PT900 series sights have always been Plastic. A caution on both designs is that the Rear Sights retain the Firing Pin Lock. When driving the rear sights off, from left to right, the last 3/8 inch of travel will release (launch) the Spring and retainer cup into nowwhere to be foundsville if one is not careful.
  • On the Millennium series and the 24/7 series, the earlier sights (screw down) can only be replaced with sights designed specifically for them. There are only a small number of upgrades available.
  • With the advent of the 24/7 Pro and the Millennium Pro Third Generation, the dovetail allows for greater lattitude. At present the sights designed specifically for these guns is limited but growing.
  • However, Almost any gunsmith, and many casual home smither, can fit the 1911 style sights to these guns.

This FAQ was the product of the group effort of all the moderators of Taurus Armed.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Thenk you, Cimarron and all the friends who contributed to this FAQ. Please keep it where we can find it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Sir, the Mil Pro line, has little that can be done, except for sights? I know I looked for my PT111.
Taurus has a rear 2 dot sight that will fit on several Mil Pros. Very easy to change. Look at my post in Millium Pros. The sight is originally for PT 1911, but fits other Taurus autos.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
While this started as an auto thread, I was looking at my Judge and was wondering if the front sight was:
a. replacable
b. adjustable
c. the fiber part replacable?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you install them yet?
Ken, I just purchased a set for PT145 recently and did install them. With the correct Allen wrenches, brass or wood punch (I used half of a clothes pin) was able to replace my 8's with ease.

Adjusted them the next day and I am very pleased with the sights. If you were happy with the 8's before you will be really happy with the firesights, they are so bright in daylight and easy to see against the target. I found that using the front sight requires it be slightly elevated above the rear dots for accuracy.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts

Ken, I just purchased a set for PT145 recently and did install them. With the correct Allen wrenches, brass or wood punch (I used half of a clothes pin) was able to replace my 8's with ease.

Adjusted them the next day and I am very pleased with the sights. If you were happy with the 8's before you will be really happy with the firesights, they are so bright in daylight and easy to see against the target. I found that using the front sight requires it be slightly elevated above the rear dots for accuracy.
These are nice sights! I have read that the fiber optic inserts can shake loose, though. Has this happened to anyone?

How do they compare to the HiViz sights which are similar in design?

·
Registered
96 Posts
These are nice sights! I have read that the fiber optic inserts can shake loose, though. Has this happened to anyone?

How do they compare to the HiViz sights which are similar in design?
I've only had mine on since April and haven't been able to shoot very often but do wear the PT145 everyday and so far the sights are intact. I have the HiViz on my XD45 and they work well too - although probably not a bright as the Williams but then again the HiViz on the XD will glow in the dark which the Williams will not. Had the HiViz for two years never a problem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've only had mine on since April and haven't been able to shoot very often but do wear the PT145 everyday and so far the sights are intact. I have the HiViz on my XD45 and they work well too - although probably not a bright as the Williams but then again the HiViz on the XD will glow in the dark which the Williams will not. Had the HiViz for two years never a problem.
Thank you for the information on these sights, NextStorm! The only available options I have found for the PT 111 Pro so far are these two. Considering changing sights. I practiced shooting in low light conditions recently (moonless night in an open range deep in a river valley) and I couldn't see my 3-dots, much less the sight silhouettes. I have not found tritium night sight options for the Millennium Pro series yet.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have Williams Firesights on both my pt111 Gen3 and 24/7 compact. Both guns have the same dovetail. They work fine.

Reactions: DBMMD
1 - 20 of 36 Posts