Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in getting a Glock G20SF but then realized that the 45 Super is on par with the 10mm, and with the current prices of the 24/7 being very attractive, it made me want to investigate further. So does anyone know if the Taurus 24/7 both the previous and new G2 models can handle 45 Super ?? Thanks for any info. God Bless :)

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
If one wants 10mm performance buy one.

One could get away with shooting the .45 super in the Taurus but it's sorta like hauling a ton in a half ton pick up truck.

Sooner or later something's gonna break.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I would caution you against attempting to shoot any ammo through your pistol that is not on the recommended ammo list in the owner's manual.

·
Administrator
35,416 Posts
The 45acp has a maximum pressure rating of 19,900 to 22,000 CUP. The pressures generated by the 45 super are well beyond even the +P rating and can't be considered safe in a 45acp handgun. There are also issues that have to do with the thinner walled cases of the 45acp versus how thick the walls need to be to handle the excessive pressure of the super.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok did a little research and *supposedly* there are some 45acp guns such as the XD, XDM, HK, and Glocks that with the *occasional* use of 45 Super need no additional upgrades. *Supposedly* even Springfield Armory CS says that their guns can see limited use of 45 Super with the stock setup. However, again with my limited research, if one is to shoot regularly with 45 Super in these guns, they recommend upgrading to a higher poundage recoil spring. So it makes me wonder if the 24/7 can do the same. Anyone know if Wolf or anyone else makes a higher poundage recoil spring for the 24/7 ??? Again thanks for any info. God Bless :)

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
If it's not coming out of at least a 5 inch or longer barrel, i personally wouldn't bother beating up the gun.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I have a 24/7 G2 45 Compact, it makes me want to try this, but maybe I will just stick with 45 +P ammo. God Bless :)

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Even +P ammo shouldn't be used on a regular basis, so i wouldn't recommend running too many of them. If you want to carry them as an SD load or shoot a box to see how they feed and fire, that's fine. But i wouldn't make it regular range ammo by any means.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If one wants 10mm performance buy one.

One could get away with shooting the .45 super in the Taurus but it's sorta like hauling a ton in a half ton pick up truck.

Sooner or later something's gonna break.
amen,
i don't understand why someone would risk trashing a gun because of the not so cheap giggles of stuffing a high power round in a gun not rated for it.
unless it is rated for it, it doesn't need to be in it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Even +P ammo shouldn't be used on a regular basis, so i wouldn't recommend running too many of them. If you want to carry them as an SD load or shoot a box to see how they feed and fire, that's fine. But i wouldn't make it regular range ammo by any means.
I looked at the price of P+ (9mm) and I about gagged. I couldn't imagine using those loads as range ammo even if my gun could handle it .

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
well I wouldn't do it personally in one of my guns!
Now i am kind of looking for a 10 MM myself.
and if one is speaking of the price of the 24/7 now one might look into the EAA witness in 10 MM?
I think they are hovering in the 450 range if you can locate one, and its already in the 10 MM power range.

·
Administrator
17,920 Posts
I have a .45 SUPER conversion that I use, very sparingly, for my older .45 EAA Witness, which is an ALL STEEL handgun.

For a .45 24/7, I would have to have access to similar conversion parts BEFORE I would bother to use .45 SUPER in it.
I have no plans to convert my .45 24/7 OSS to .45 SUPER or use .45 SUPER ammunition in it.
I'm sure it would survive a limited usage of such ammo, but I would rather not.

Also, unless you have a 4.2 inch barrel minimum, you are just wasting your time and energy with the .45 SUPER.
Like the .45 ACP, the .45 SUPER is very barrel length dependant for it's added ballistic energy.

If the .45 ACP is not enough for you, move right up to the .454 Casull in a good Revolver.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 12 of 12 Posts