Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems to me that Taurus has some different 709 models available. Here are two that both list as 19 oz, with 7+1 capacity.
This one - and - This one -

But they look like different pistols to me. Different slide, different receiver, different sights, different trigger, different EVERYTHING. Is one of these a stealthy 2nd generation model, or is one of them a mistaken photo??
77958.jpg vs 55283.jpg
Serial number TES47920 vs TAY13086
Funny thing is that if I check out those serial numbers here Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Find My Model -
It tells me that one is a 709 (show Model Is 1-709031FS ) and the other is a 111 ( Model Is 111BP-12 )

Do the 709's have a secret history as Milennium Pro 111's forced to get slim competing on "The Biggest Loser" or something? Whats going on?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I own a PT709 and my wife a PT111. Her PT111 has different pattern on grip and is 12+1; The pictured 709s? Mine is identical to the one on the left and of course, is a 7+1. It also has the Glock-like trigger. The 709 has 3 dot sights and the PT111 comes from the factory with Heinie Straight-8s (which suck and I replaced the with Williams Fire Sights). I can't recall every seeing the stainless model of the 709. The blued model PT709 is listed in the tech specs as a PT709B. Not sure if there ever was an "A" version but there probably was. The more I look at the "709" on the right, the more it looks like a photoshop special...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The grip checkering and grip is from a Gen3 PT111 I think. I am sure someone with some smarts can figure out what ol' Bud's has done here.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The pic on the right is the prototype of the PT709 before Taurus actually put out the real 709 (which is the pic on the left) on the market. A lot of pics and info on Bud's pages are outdated and inaccurate.

Edit: Now I am wondering if Taurus will ever make the 709/740 G2's?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I believe the PT709 pictured on the left is the Gen 2 model and the one on the right is the prototype that never hit the market; Some one else has shown the one on the right from Bud's and asked about it in another thread;; If you count the pins on the one on the left it shows four pins which is a gen 2; the gen 1 only has two pins.

·
Banned
73 Posts
The frame looks like a G2 (4 pins) but the slide is not marked G2 and if you look up the serial number (on slide and barrel) it shows as a 2011 model # 1-709031FS. I wouldn't put too much faith in these photos. I suspect a G1 is all that's actually available.

Off topic: The Ruger factory is so swamped that they aren't accepting any new orders at this time. How bout them apples!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts