Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just moved to Portland Maine and it seems like a possibility that constitutional carry (cc without permit) will be a possibility here soon. It passed state senate, house of reps, now the bill is going back to senate to approve changes, then it'll go to the governor, who has already stated he supports it. I fully get the idea behind it but my question is, I am not a resident yet, and I frankly will not be likely to establish residency simply because I will only be here for a year or so. So my question for me and the other non-residents of the state, will Maine and other constitutional carry states (if there are any) honor permits now for other states? I have a Colorado and Washington permit, neither of which Maine currently has reciprocity with. In other words, will this only apply to residents? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I would assume that it would apply to everyone, not just residents. I would pull the proposed bill from the state legislature website if available and read through it though.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
When Maine passes Constitutional Carry, you will still be able to receive a paper CC permit if you wish to obtain one. It just won't be mandatory like it is now.

Below in blue are the states that do honor Maine CC permits. However if you plan to drive anywhere from Maine you will still need to drive thru NH which doesn't honor the permit.

maine reciprocity.png

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
One might assume that, since it is termed "Constitutional" carry that it should apply to all citizens as the Constitution does. But, politicians, being what they are, and too many being lawyers........

Reactions: mark38090

·
Registered
108 Posts
Arizona has long been recognized as the best state to live in for gun rights........just ask the NRA. One thing I noticed is that Maine does not recognize Az permits but Az recognizes Maine's permits.

AZ CCW RECIPROCITY WITH OTHER STATES

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Constitutional Carry means no permit is required to carry a pistol. Unless specifically stated, anyone can carry open or concealed.

Reactions: Runamuk

·
Registered
541 Posts
When Maine passes Constitutional Carry, you will still be able to receive a paper CC permit if you wish to obtain one. It just won't be mandatory like it is now.

Below in blue are the states that do honor Maine CC permits. However if you plan to drive anywhere from Maine you will still need to drive thru NH which doesn't honor the permit.

View attachment 119758
Yeah, driving out of Maine would require invoking (and transporting in accordance with) FOPA. Of course, you'd have to be on your way to VT, OH, KY, or NH at the closest for the invocation of FOPA to be valid.

·
Super Moderator
19,944 Posts
(E) All of the above answers look good.

I know Ga has played around with Constitutional Carry and that is fine. I will still get the Ga Weapons Carry Permit, though, as it will maintain the reciprocity with other states as it does now. And GWCP is a formality in our state - no classroom or testing required. If you are of age (>21) and pass a NICS background heck, you are "permitted". Also, the carry permit greatly speeds up firearm purchases!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts