Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Kids Be Raised in a Gender-neutral Society? Sweden Thinks So Imagine if a girl were the only female on a co-ed basketball team and nobody tried to force her to stop playing, or even cared. What if a teenage boy tried out for an all-female cheer leading squad and it went unnoticed? Could gender truly be removed from the equation? It's unlikely. In the U.S., a girl being kicked off a baseball team because of her gender -- or a boy being allowed on a girls' swim team despite his gender -- makes national headlines. And in Sweden, attempts to create a more gender-equal -- or even gender-neutral -- country are causing a stir.

In an effort to support gender neutrality, Sweden recently added a gender-neutral pronoun, "hen," to the country's National Encyclopedia. Slate reports that several preschools in Sweden have stopped making references to the gender of their students. Instead of calling children "boys and girls," teachers are referring to students as "buddies." One school even stopped allowing free playtime during the day because "stereotypical gender patterns are born and cemented. In free play there is hierarchy, exclusion, and the seed to bullying." And the country just published its first gender-neutral children's book, "Kivi och Monsterhund."

The objective of creating a society that focuses on "hens," of course, is to allow children to grow up without being limited by gender stereotypes. "It's a laudable goal," Stuart Lustig, M.D., a child psychologist at the University of California, San Francisco, tells Shine. "But the notion of gender is deeply ingrained," he says, and depends on how children are socialized.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I think this is a bunch of Libtard Hooey. Boys will be boys and girls will be girls with a few exceptions on both sides. We are wired from birth with individual personalities that will come out on their own. Trying to make kids into a gender nuetral being will not work. Besides what is the benefit of it? We have enough girly men and tom boys out there as it is without any help from the government.

JMO

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
ps. It won't work any better than trying to keep guns away from kids. The ones who do not get trained right and early will naturally be drawn to them when they are put in a situation where a gun is. The curiosity factor in kids is not going to let them stay away from guns or being themselves. In the case of guns I would wager that most of the child involved gun accidents are by kids whose parents hid them from them or did not have guns, but never prepared their kids properly on what to do if they ever come across one.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to live in a gender neutral world. I like women.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
or a boy being allowed on a girls' swim team despite his gender -- .
OK so that was me... I wanted to play football, but being 100 lbs (dripping wet!) and 6'1 at the time, I didn't have a chance of playing Texas Highschool football. I'd get hit by a cornerback and go flying!

So... I joined the swim team, about 20 people on the team ... only 2 of us guys with girls in bathing suits... I didn't complain! The more I thought about it, girls in bathing suits beat a lockerroom full of sweaty guys!:D

·
Super Moderator
26,911 Posts
To me, it's not really a matter of "gender". It's a matter of stereotypes. I believe that any person can do anything; regardless of gender if they have the capability!
That to me is what it is all about!
You have to take into account what the activity is all about. Football..to win...fine if a female can help the team..great...but genuinely. Cheerleading has been unisex for a while. But my honest belief is that for a team, the standards should be the same....If you set the standard, for your team training, because this is what you say the team needs to win, at say 6000 pushups and 2000 squat thrusts then everybody on that team, regardless of gender should be able to do it. If you set the standard deliberately high to exclude a particular sex....foul!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
348 Posts
When the population starts dropping because there are no males or females what doyou think they are going to do.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first thought about the absurdity of the whole thing is that this male "hen" likes female "hens"! BTW, only my wife of course! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts