Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title to my thread states "Can I Ever Trust My Judge" to fire correctly ? After buying a Judge (2 IN barrel ---- 2 1/2 chamber SS Public Defender) new from Gander Mountain the other day and feeling good about it I now question my purchase. Instead of getting that warm fuzzy feeling about my Judge I am starting to feel like the guy holding the bag skype hunting :D

Why do you say I feel this way, because there seems to be no rime or reason, no correct answer, no AMMO that everyone can agree on that seems to be 100% trust worthy for our Judges.

One guy posts that he has never had a problem with PDX and the very next post a guy has had to send his weapon back to Taurus barely able to remove the rounds after using PDX to ship back to Taurus. Another guy posts he shots nothing but Remington Ammo and it NEVER EVER misfires and the very next post again a guy says he NEVER EVER had a round fire correctly. Gee whiz bat man..... HELP :confused:

I watched Hickcok45 on Youtube shot round after round of everything and he had no problems whats up with all this madness. I did pick up the correct Ammo 2 1/2 in shells .410 personal defense in 3 different brands but now I am about afraid to pull the trigger on any of it including the combo pack of .45 colt & .410 shotgun shells in the PDX1 combo pack 10 rounds of each.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I had a Judge Public Defender for nearly a year and never had one moment's trouble with it using Federal Personal Defense .410 buckshot or Winchester Silvertip .45 LC ammo.

I wish I had never gotten rid of it.

(There will be another Judge in my future.)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Well there's only one way to find out....Shoot the dang thing!

Seriously second guessing a purchase when you haven't even pulled the trigger? If you're that apprehensive about it, sell it, or if you do what the tool is designed to do, which is shoot it you might be pleasantly surprised!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

,,,shoot it you might be pleasantly surprised!
I guarantee he'll be pleasantly surprised and will come away with a head rush he won't soon forget! ;)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
As a new Taurus owner, you will find there is no shortage of people that will bash, belittle, and otherwise slander the Taurus name without ever firing a shot through one. I know that there have been some people that have problems with them, but the vast majority of owners seem to really love them. Go shoot the crap out of it and I doubt you'll have any reason not to trust the gun with your life. Just avoid getting the cheapest crap ammo you can find. At least at first.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Now is it just me, but I have reread your post a few time. And it appears to me that you are worring about the wrong thing. The Judge seens to have preformed as it should in all the different examples you have given.......It is a question as to the ammunition you choose to load and shoot in the Judge. I had a Judge just as you described you purchased..it was flawless. I recently picked up a Raging Judge, it shot the Horneday .454 with out a hitch, fired the 12 year old cowboy round 45LC ammo perfect. The original owner had fired plenty of shotgun shells through it, in pellets and disk with out as much as a burp.
Now, go pick up some ammo and have a good time. If you are worried about the shell/casing sticking in the chamber wipe a little grease on them before you load them.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I had a Judge Public Defender for nearly a year and never had one moment's trouble with it using Federal Personal Defense .410 buckshot or Winchester Silvertip .45 LC ammo.
.)
I have had mine over a year and agree with MilPro as to these rounds. I have fired others and the worst ammo was the Winchester AA (black box) it kept spitting out the fired primers and wedging the cly... the PDXI 410 no problem either... The silver tip, the PDX1 45 225 gr and also the Hornaday 45 FTX 225 gr all work just fine. Now I know that there are some that dont like a few of these for distance ... BUT i dont see my self as a long range marksmen and for self defense have no problem with them.
Besides-- the Judge is just way to much fun to shoot.. How can you go wrong with a wheel gun anyway!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own and carry, as my main ccw gun, a Public Defender Polymer. It took a bit of work to make it a gun I trusted. The first one I bought brand new developed a crack near the forcing cone, and was replaced by Taurus, the replacement had slight locking issues with one chamber, and was repaired by Taurus.
The gun was still fully functional both times I had to send it back, just not 100%, but I am now satisfied with the current one.
I have never had an issue with any of the rounds I have tried. Federal 000, Winchester PDX1, Remington #4, Winchester #6, Hornaday 45 leverevolution, and Federal Champion 45 .
My suggestion for you would be to get a set of snap caps (I like the A-Zoom variety), and sit and dry fire the gun a lot(100 or more) before you even try shooting it. This will get the working parts broken in, and reveal if there are any cycling problems. Then get a variety of rounds and try them all out. Almost any gun will have brands of ammo it works well with and some it does not. If you have issues, contact Taurus and they will make it right.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Mine is about 4 years old, and has had just about any ammo you can find fired thru it. Never a failure, got dirty firing Black Powder 45 colts, but they all fired and ejected as required.

It is a heck of a gun, and far more accurate than the gun boobs, will say it is.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
For personal defense, Federal's PD Handgun line of .410 ammo is hands down the best I've used. For whatever reason they have the Judge series down pat. With their #000 buck shot round I can put all 4 pellets in the 8 ring on a B-27 silhouette target at 25 yards. Hard shot in a shot cup works best in the Judge, as I have personally noticed soft shot, as in Win's #000 buck shot, will flatten and sail so bad that at 10 feet you are lucky to get more than one pellet on a B-27 target. I use WW SSX #6 birdshot (if I buy another box it will be #8 or #9 for more shot density) and it will also scatter quickly and I would not trust it past 10 feet. If you are after a snake stay within 5 feet to get enough pellets in it to kill it.

.410 and standard load .45LC (don't use the high pressure stuff meant for a Ruger or TC) ammo is not going to hurt the Judge, not matter what you hear on the Internet. In addition to the Federal PD Handgun .410 line, I get good accuracy out of Hornady's Leverlution rounds .45LC with the 225 grain FTX and out of Speer's 250 grain Gold Dots. I tried some of Win's Cowboy loads and, although I got decent accuracy out of them, I thought they were loaded with black powder at first because of all the smoke.

I haven't had any problem with cases sticking with any of the ammo mentioned above.

·
Administrator
35,119 Posts

Seriously second guessing a purchase when you haven't even pulled the trigger? If you're that apprehensive about it, sell it, or if you do what the tool is designed to do, which is shoot it you might be pleasantly surprised!
I wholeheartedly concur ! So much hand wringing.....go buy some ammo, and shoot the gun ! Have some fun !

Go get some self defense ammo, run a bunch through your PD, and see which one feeds most reliably and makes you feel well protected. ;)

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum first off.

Now then, here's the biggest problem. You bought a gun from Gander Mountain that was overpriced and oversold. I personally use them for the occaisional magazine or accesory, but all of their merchandise is about 20-40% over market value. The same Remington UMC .45 ACP's i buy at walmart for $42.98 is sold at Gander for $69.99. All of their guns have an above retail price, and chances are they pushed the protection plan on you so they'll '... handle the shpping back to Taurus for a year if anything goes wrong with the gun.' They don't want to tell you that for the first year Taurus should pick up shipping and you don't need an FFL to make the gun go to Miami for repairs and come back to you via FedEx.

Now to the small problem, what ammo to use? That answer is easy enough, use anything that is listed as .410 handgun ammo. Most .410 shotshells are made for shotguns, which have a bit more space in the chamber than Judge cylinders contain. Some shells bulge a bit due to how the shot settles during packing, others have a bit more material in the crimp and give people problems opening the cylinder after all rounds are shot. Most shells have a polymer coat that will build up from being shot, and the lower quality the polymer, the worse the problem can be. The best solution to the problem is shooting the gun with a collection of ammunition, and cleaning between brands/types to ensure an even playing field for performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Judge has had no issues firing or extracting anything I've ran thru it and there has been alot of different types of ammo.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Why do you say I feel this way, because there seems to be no rime or reason, no correct answer, no AMMO that everyone can agree on that seems to be 100% trust worthy for our Judges.
I think I detect the faint oder of sarcasm. :cool: I like it.

Just be glad it isn't chambered in 9mm, the disagreements would be endless!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've had a 3Inch barrel, 2.5 inch cylinder (blue) Judge for a couple of years, and fed it about 250 rounds of all kinds of ammo, factory and handloads;, shotshells from bird to buck, and PDX rounds and .45 colt rounds (no +p, but some fairly hefty standard loads) and have had absolutely NO problems with it.

I trust mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can kind of see where this guy is coming from. I have had my judge for about 6 months now. I have tried a bunch of rounds through it without any issue. The only rounds that have been giving me some trouble is the Federal Personal defense rounds, They dont seat into the chamber without me forcing them down. All the other rounds I have tried have dropped right in. So its a little concerning that other people have no issue with the federal while mine wont take them, But just remember. Taurus has life time warrenty, Take comfort in the fact that if you do have an issue, they will fix it for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts